Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Fredbearjunior

Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Unread postby Fredbearjunior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 am

Long story short, I have worked in the clothing industry for quite a while as an international sourcing agent. I’ve always been bothered by the ridiculous mark up on hunting clothing. I don’t mind someone making a profit, but 500% profit is ABSURD. I’m looking for ideas on what products to offer. I’m currently looking at merino wool products, everything from base layers to outer wear. What would you folks like to see. I also want to offer more sizes for tall folks, like pants with a 36” inseam. It’s very hard for slim/athletic/tall hunters to find pants. Once I decide on which products to offer I’ll be looking for avid hunters to test them this season. I’ll probably just ask that the testers pay shipping and my cost (which will be extremely low cost. Give me some ideas guys!

moog5050
500 Club

Re: Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 am

Fredbearjunior wrote:Long story short, I have worked in the clothing industry for quite a while as an international sourcing agent. I’ve always been bothered by the ridiculous mark up on hunting clothing. I don’t mind someone making a profit, but 500% profit is ABSURD. I’m looking for ideas on what products to offer. I’m currently looking at merino wool products, everything from base layers to outer wear. What would you folks like to see. I also want to offer more sizes for tall folks, like pants with a 36” inseam. It’s very hard for slim/athletic/tall hunters to find pants. Once I decide on which products to offer I’ll be looking for avid hunters to test them this season. I’ll probably just ask that the testers pay shipping and my cost (which will be extremely low cost. Give me some ideas guys!

Merino wool at a reasonable price would be a big hit I think. Roomy outer layer for us bigger guys would be nice too. Too many products limited to 2xl. Open type of camo merino! I will add that a Sherpa vest has become one of my most versatile pieces of hunting apparel - one you might consider. Also, truly waterproof rain gear that is breathable and comfortable seems like the holy grail I have never found (at least in my size).
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 am

Athletic merino wool type clothing in Predator camo patterns would be popular.
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 am

Have to agree that the prices just keep going up and up! I love to wear layers to be able to control body temps more easily, so base-medium-heavy options would be nice to see. Anything that is quiet would be great, also. So many items out there look great and meet a niche, but when we are trying to get close, quiet is key. Good luck in starting out. Camo patterns are always a matter of preference. Natural Gear is usually my go to.
Last edited by Ghost Pointer on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 am

Hope u hit a home run with it. I don't really care what Cammo pattern , but would like to see something in earthy plaid colors. Selling points for me is price, softness and quietness. I don't due Velcro, I don't need 200 zipper pockets and I would rather not have to pay xtra just so I can get a giant logo on it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bobo

Unread postby Bobo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 am

Good hunting clothes at a good price, would be great! When looking for pattern and color, talk to some military snipers. My friend was a sniper. After talking to him about how colors and patterns look to the human eye and what they needed to do to disappear in there environment, it totally changed what I look for when I buy camo. Other than that, I look for Quiet. I can't believe how loud some of the stuff is out there, made by name brand companies.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 am

If you can make a handwarmer/muff that isn't for people with dinky, child-sized hands I will be your first customer. Everything i've tried - from cabelas, to sitka, to icebreaker brand - does not have an appropriate sized opening for adult hands.

As for clothing tons of companies getting into direct-to-consumer (D2C) sales. Going to have to really differentiate yourself in the pricing department as it seems everyone thinks their merino or poly garments are unique and special snowflakes. I recently heard about SixSite gear being made by vets. I like the veteran designed and american made story, but apparently that means there is a premium for those items (maybe there is), though honestly their clothing doesn't look to be anything special. Their patterns really don't click for me, but that's entirely subjective.

Also don't under estimate the psychology of premium pricing. If you price too low, people will wonder where you cut your corners.

If I were to get into garments i'm not sure i'd really want to deal with the headache of manufacturing. If you have some camo pattern ideas you could consider licensing your patterns to companies.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Deerhunter323

Unread postby Deerhunter323 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 am

I would love a good insulating layer that is not a $150 puffy jacket. Possibly wind barrier and Sherpa fleece together?
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 am

The hardest things I have trouble finding are the lightweight early season shirt options at a reasonable price. So much so that I gerenally just wear a green t-shirt from my usmc days. I totally agree with you on the market being insanely overpriced. I generally turn to my military uniforms for the money savings. Another area I would love to see a true wool heavy winter line that's under 600$. I have been looking for so long that I have given up on being able to wear wool for after Christmas hunting. I'll check back after hunting starts to let you know where else I get frustrated .. lol :lol: o and like you said im one of those tall athletic types that can never find the right sizes!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 am

It is about price and quality.

Olive drab is my color of choice. Can't hardly find it with all these really dark & useless camo colors out there.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 am

Fredbearjunior wrote:Long story short, I have worked in the clothing industry for quite a while as an international sourcing agent. I’ve always been bothered by the ridiculous mark up on hunting clothing. I don’t mind someone making a profit, but 500% profit is ABSURD. I’m looking for ideas on what products to offer. I’m currently looking at merino wool products, everything from base layers to outer wear. What would you folks like to see. I also want to offer more sizes for tall folks, like pants with a 36” inseam. It’s very hard for slim/athletic/tall hunters to find pants. Once I decide on which products to offer I’ll be looking for avid hunters to test them this season. I’ll probably just ask that the testers pay shipping and my cost (which will be extremely low cost. Give me some ideas guys!

Is its merino wool and super quiet. And not expensive ill buy it
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am

Wind proof outer shell and a system of different weight insulation layers underneath would be a hit with the Midwest crowd.

And I agree with the earth tone colors.....Natgear was always a favorite pattern of mine, and something along that line with some lighter Browns would be very effective.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 am

Safety harness built into bibs. I messaged Yukon gear about it awhile back w no response. Scent blocker sells them at high prices bc of the name and claiming to be scent free.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am

Wind is the real enemy in cold weather. A quiet, windproof, form fitting outer layer with various levels of insulation would be an all season solution. And any pants should have at least knee length zippers in my opinion. I've always thought about doing a startup but have never had the resources to do so. Good luck to you
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 am

Nobody makes a halfway decent coverall anymore. I hate bibs and not interested in the body bags.

Performance upland stuff is a market black hole. I have pairs of Sitka, First Lite, and Predator "mountain pants" that are great out West but utterly useless here where everything has jaggers. There would be a lot of crossover too as I wear my brush pants to access most of my deer stands, and always wear brush pants and jacket scouting.

ASAT is the best camo pattern and worked launching sitka and FL, third time is a charm!

Perfect one or two things and build from there instead of having a big lineup of middling mediocrity.
Last edited by elk yinzer on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”