Camo branches

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aaronmach1
Facebook: Aaron Turnwald

Camo branches

Unread postby Aaronmach1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 am

This will be my first year trying a mobile setup hang on stand. (xop air raid and xop sticks) Ever year i always take oak branches and brush in my treestands. A must for michigan hunting 2.5 yr old deer or older in my opinion. Is it just a lot easier hunting out of michigan? How do you guys not get silhouetted hanging off the side of the telephone pole size trees i see you in? I pre made some tree sets for my mobile unit and put camo branches up but new mobile sites i never hunted wont be pre set up. What do you guys do?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Camo branches

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:41 am

I don't fidget around, stay ready, and know when to draw my bow. And I rarely even wear camo lol.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Aaronmach1

Unread postby Aaronmach1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 am

Im paranoid i guess when i hunt. I rarely move even when uncomforatble and my bow is always in my hands most of the time with my release attached to my bow string. Im terrified to miss out on an opportunity because i wasnt ready hahahaha
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 am

I think if it gives you confidence or helps you get away with extra movement (i.e. filmers), go for it. I know I've seen some products designed to hold branches and clamp onto a stand, can't really recall where...maybe Hawk with their stand accessories?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am

elk yinzer wrote:I think if it gives you confidence or helps you get away with extra movement (i.e. filmers), go for it. I know I've seen some products designed to hold branches and clamp onto a stand, can't really recall where...maybe Hawk with their stand accessories?

blinded hunting makes that.

https://www.blindedhunting.com/
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 am

I've used branches with pre-hung stands on private, but not on the public. With trees, the right location and height are most important, then cover.

And while many don't think camo is important, I feel on high pressure deer a good open pattern camo will fool their eyes enough to keep you from getting busted, even if there is no cover.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:17 am

I remember a few years back hunting with a buddies dad, we were sitting across from one another on a cattail corridor that runs some powerlines. I was thinking to myself, I wonder how he kills anything out of these trees, we were totally skylined right on the edge. I dont think I saw him move once that day. I asked him about it after the hunt and he explained to me that he looks with his eyes, very subtly will turn his head if he hears something. He's killed a lot of nice bucks.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 am

Ack wrote:I've used branches with pre-hung stands on private, but not on the public. With trees, the right location and height are most important, then cover.

And while many don't think camo is important, I feel on high pressure deer a good open pattern camo will fool their eyes enough to keep you from getting busted, even if there is no cover.

X2, worry less about blending in and more about breaking up the human form.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 am

I add ample cover to all my rut stands, I can't stand making a giant shadow on the ground. Shade is my friend, on run and gun sits I try my best to find me a multi trunk tree or something with some branches to tuck into. I also tuck myself back in a lot of cedars usually only afew feet off the ground. If my only option is telephone pole trees and I can't add brush I believe I would take my chances from the ground vs looking like a lollipop
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Aaronmach1

Unread postby Aaronmach1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 am

ya i saw the crow nest brackets welded to chain. I can make my own of that. Maybe i will have to
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:18 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I add ample cover to all my rut stands, I can't stand making a giant shadow on the ground. Shade is my friend, on run and gun sits I try my best to find me a multi trunk tree or something with some branches to tuck into. I also tuck myself back in a lot of cedars usually only afew feet off the ground. If my only option is telephone pole trees and I can't add brush I believe I would take my chances from the ground vs looking like a lollipop

Good point about looking like a lollipop. In those instances I will put my stand on the other side of the tree away from the deer and sit facing the tree if I have too.

There are several options for branches and branch placement. High Point Archery sells a branch kit but it’s expensive. If you google treestand concealment you will see a couple other options. I have bought fake tree branches on sale at craft shops or Walmart and zip tie them to my bow holder or other branches in the tree to get some background cover. With the flagpole holders I attach them to my stand with zip ties and place tree branches (oak or cedar the best) in them.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:35 am

There are also a couple companies, Advantage Camo is one, that make an umbrella type blind that attaches to your bow stabilizer. Seriously thinking of getting one and then adding a net to it to add branches, leaves, etc for a 3 d effect. I think this would give me something to hide behind, and help when drawing the bow.

I think all the concealment you can do is better. I know many advocate simply sitting still, no need for camo, etc., but I guess the deer are more paranoid or smarter where I hunt because I’ve been picked off sitting like a statue on several occasions. They may not bust off with tails flagging but they definitely don’t like what they see in the tree, even at 25 feet up. I don’t like any deer seeing me period....or smelling me if I can help it of course.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 am

I'm a bigger guy is why I said it looks like a lollipop. If the tree is big enough to completely cover your frame a limbless tree is fine.

I also agree some of the predator type Camo works better for this atleast from a distance. The problem occurs when u have to move to make a shot. On a telephone pole tree you are gonna stick out like a sore thumb plus u will have a giant moving shadow of yourself on the ground.

The biggest struggle I had switching from compound to trad gear was at the moment of truth getting off a shot. This led me to learn how to conceal myself.

Big bucks luv lurking in the shadows and so do I!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I’m always thinking 120 yards or less to bedding. If I can’t find a tree with good cover I’m moving closer or focusing on a different exit route. That exit route might bump that sit back a month or so depending on why that exit.

One of the hardest things for me to apply was 10’ up with cover is better than 20’+ without.

If neither of those fit the bed, gotta got your ground game on.
Aaronmach1

Unread postby Aaronmach1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 pm

i never hunt over 15 ft high. Also i beleive the guys that hunt without concealment are being spotted and deer are avoiding them before they even know it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”