State Openers and Early Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Autiger
500 Club

Re: State Openers and Early Success

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am

Sept. 15th here in WI. I don’t think I’ve ever bow hunted opening weekend, but this year I will be in a tree that afternoon. I have several beds marked in various public land spots, have some cameras to check and fields to scan for which properties I want to hone in on over the next 2 weeks.

Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 am

Its August 24 this year in Tn, but I think I'll skip it and hunt Ky the next week. I've had some my best luck early in the year.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am

Enkriss wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:September 8 for NJ. have close encounters every year, but in NJ early bow is earn a buck. Almost every year I have had big bucks in range the first month with nothing i could do about it. now i hunt my buddies farm thats surrounded buy developments with a huge corn pile like Ted Nugent and shoot the first skippy i see no waiting for a big doe if its brown its down. once thats done and over with i dive back onto the public buck bedding.

I have seen some decent bucks on opening day that I was unable to shoot to never see them again because of earn a buck...lol.

I moved from NJ to MD and hope to god I will be able to move back soon...never thought I would say that, but man do I miss Jersey.

:lol: jersey is not so bad as long as i can still own a gun :lol: i remember messing myself out of a 150 inch 11 point 2 years ago. i decided i wanted to use a long bow for my earn a buck. well after trying to close in on some does for the first week whats steps out an hour before last shooting light but a giant at 7 yards right under the apple tree i was watching at the edge of a alfalfa field. never felt so helpless there i sit in a 8 inch diameter black walnut about five feet off the ground with the buck standing broadside for about five minutes without a clue i was there. i hunted that buck hard that season and never got closer than sixty the rest of the year :lol: saw the buck 2 more times last week of October locked on some does. he was not so stupid at that point :doh:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I haven't had any early season success with a buck yet, in NH I hit a doe in the shoulder the second day of the season but never recovered it.
This year I moved to SD but I'm not going to officially be a resident in time for the opener.
I'm not going to pay for a non res tag if I'm living here, so maybe I'll head over to my BIL's farm in Mn for that opener, he's got a couple hundred acres and there is a 25,000+ acre public area a mile away.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:06 am

September 15 here in MO. I have killed one mature buck within the first 3 days of season. To me that is a tough task but certainly not impossible. Majority of the buck bedding I’ve hunted early I’ll encounter 2 and 3 years olds. You have to get in so tight to the big boys early and that is just often very tough the way they are set up in most location. Some great hunters do accomplish it tho and do it year after year. Just a matter of doing your homework
JPiskun1080
Facebook: facebook.com/JoePiskun

Unread postby JPiskun1080 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am

October 1st is Bow season opener for us in Western NY. As for the 2nd part of the question ahhh NOPE. Ive had success harvesting younger deer in the early season once or twice but i've also never went into a season yet with beast tactics, so maybe this year could be my first harvesting something of NY maturity early season.
You can’t hunt something that’s not there :think: :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”