New to saddle hunting, where do I hang my bow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BighousePT

New to saddle hunting, where do I hang my bow?

Unread postby BighousePT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am

Greetings from Western Kentucky. I am trying saddle hunting for the first time this year. I have a new Kestrel Saddle and ordered the Predator platform which hasn't arrived yet. So, I have never hunted from a saddle and understand I will be facing the tree, standing on the platform leaning back into my saddle from my tether. I am right handed, where is the best place to hang the bow and how specifically should I do it? I am sure this is just a preference thing but would like to know how various people are doing it. Intuitively I would think I would just put one of those hooks on the left side (my strong side) of the tree at about eye level? Or is it better to get one of those bolt on holders (third hand bow holder) that connects to the stand and have the bow in the ready position more near my feet?

Thanks

Dewey

Re: New to saddle hunting, where do I hang my bow?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 am

If you can use a screw in hanger mount on your bow hand side of the tree. I use a strap on hanger and set up facing the direction I expect a deer to come from while I hide behind the tree. If my bow isn’t in my hand it’s on the hanger to my right. (I’m left handed) Make sure your bow is hanging low enough that it doesn’t interfere with your tree strap when you move around the tree.
1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:22 pm

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Lone-Wolf-Utility-Belt__LWUB.aspx

I have not tried this but it looks light and would work well in a saddle...
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm

No matter what you use to hang the bow (strap on hook or screw in) Put the bow on the left side of the tree with the hook at about 10 o'clock at a level you can easily reach over and grab the grip of the bow.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:14 am

burkhart wrote:I guess I do it wrong. I hung my bow hook above my tree rope directly in front of me that way the handle was chest height ???

You're doing it right because it works for you ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 am

Country wrote:
burkhart wrote:I guess I do it wrong. I hung my bow hook above my tree rope directly in front of me that way the handle was chest height ???

You're doing it right because it works for you ;)

Exactly. Whatever works. There is no right or wrong.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:46 am

I agree with Dewey. I’m right handed so I’ve always hung my bow on my left side easily in reach with the hanger low enough so my strap can go over it easily.

The little short bowhangers that you pick up for like 99 cents work great in a tree saddle. Unless your in an area which doesn’t allow screw in’s.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”