Wind in the face bedding????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BorealBushMN

Wind in the face bedding????

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:14 am

Just curious if anyone has seen this out there....

I distinctly remember encountering a large bed a few seasons ago an the edge of a clear-cut I was hunting in the great northwoods of northeastern MN.
The bed was on along the transition of the cut and the adjacent large, tangly, nasty, thick, impenetrable alder swamp. This bed was along the middle part of the cut on the eastern edge. At the time, I had no clue about hunting beds or how deer used beds, but I did hang a stand in the vicinity, and of course, proceeded to hunt the crap out of it with the expected result.... nada!

Now that I have been ingesting the knowledge here on the Beast, I go back to thinking about that bed and the what/why that potential buck bedded there for. In theory, he would bed there on an east wind, blowing across the swamp at his back and looking at the clear-cut, right? Well, is there a chance a buck ever beds somewhere with the wind at his face, knowing that what's behind him is completely impenetrable, and/or, if anything does try to sneak in that way it would be so loud he would bust the predator anyway? This gives him the advantage of both sight and smell at his face, and security to his back that nothing can get him from behind.

Up this way, with so many scenarios like that with all the thick, nasty swamps and water, would this be yet another strategy the bucks would use? Or is it a always going to be wind at the back?

Thanks for any insight!

bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Wind in the face bedding????

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 am

I don't see why not. If I was a big buck that seems like a pretty good way of staying safe.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 am

I would never say never, but I would say its pretty rare that they set up looking into the wind. I have seen them rotate there head and look into the wind cause they see, hear, or smell something, but never seen a mature buck bed facing the wind.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 am

I would agree it's probably a rare occurrence. For that to happen I would have to think there would have to be no way something could get to him from the swamp without the buck knowing/hearing it's coming.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”