Tree stand - Too many options!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MalmIA

Tree stand - Too many options!

Unread postby MalmIA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

This is my first year implementing the beast tactics. Cant wait. Need a run n gun stand though.
Looking for some feedback on some of these stands. I have never used any of them

Lone Wolf Assault 1 or assault 2?
LW Alpha 1 or 2?
XOP air raid or Vanish?

dissecting these is getting old, they are so similar. I want to see what the majority uses and if any pros or cons?

Thanks in advance

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Tree stand - Too many options!

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

Well assault 1 and alpha 1 aren’t made anymore. If you can find them used, that’s my choice every day of the week.

Assault 2 is short. If you are tall, you probably won’t like it. But it is light. Alpha 2 is very solid. Honestly don’t know anybody who doesn’t like it, unless they are really small guys.

Xop is cheaper and you get what you pay for. It’s heavier as well. Vanish is smaller than air raid, but a tad bigger than the assault 2. Has a narrow v so with only one strap it isn’t the most stable.

I’d look to buy a used lone wolf. I have an xop silver (old model that was replaced with the air raid) and an assault 1. I use the assault 90% of my hunts.

Both will get the job done at the end of the day.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

To many options is a good thing! Ask a ole timer about options... They basically had a choice of 2x4s vs 2x6's! Truth is anything can work if u try hard enough. It's just what u personally are looking for, each has pro's and cons. Your pro's are gonna be diff than mine. Pick something you are comfortable with and master it is my advice.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 am

Alpha 2... Assault 2 feels short to me. Definitely maneuverable, light and easy to hang.

The new alpha 2 is lighter than the old alphas. Mine is ~14lbs with straps, offset bracket, foot rests and hunt comfort seat.

The vanish is like the same weight as the alpha 2 but much smaller and has a real narrow back that might kick out on you. Not to mention the quality has something to be desired. My vanish cracked on me.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:19 am

I was a millennium guy for lots of years ...before coming here. I Liked the receivers and 'quasi' mobile feel. I had 2 stands & 10 pre set receivers. After coming here, however, I realized I only 'thought' I was mobile and scrapped that idea.

My set-up now is

- Alpha II - no foot rest
- Stealth Strips
- Talons (on wait list for Dan's sticks)
- Hunt comfort seat
- Third hand bow holder
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
antlercrazed

Unread postby antlercrazed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

I may be wrong but I want to say lone wolfs weigh around 14lbs and the Millinium M100 UltraLites weigh 13 something lbs.I'll take a milliniums comfort all day long over a lone wolf but that's just my opinion.I think there is a model lone wolf that weighs like 11lbs but I'll tote 2.5 more pounds for all day comfort.

My go to setup is a millinium with lone wolf sticks
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

antlercrazed wrote:I may be wrong but I want to say lone wolfs weigh around 14lbs and the Millinium M100 UltraLites weigh 13 something lbs.I'll take a milliniums comfort all day long over a lone wolf but that's just my opinion.I think there is a model lone wolf that weighs like 11lbs but I'll tote 2.5 more pounds for all day comfort.

The problem with millennium is you can get screwed on trees. If it isn’t straight, you are in trouble. That’s where lone wolf is nice. Is it comfortable? No. But I’m young and hated hunting trees.

They are super comfy though. If they could get platform adjustments figured out and a offset bracket, oh baby.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
antlercrazed

Unread postby antlercrazed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

Maybe I'm just not aware but I don't see how you can hang a lone wolf any better on a super crooked tree.I usually find the straightest part of the tree I can find and my favorites are ones that slightly are leaning back a little.But maybe I'm just not familiar enough with lone wolf and they can hang on anything crooked or not
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:08 pm

antlercrazed wrote:I may be wrong but I want to say lone wolfs weigh around 14lbs and the Millinium M100 UltraLites weigh 13 something lbs.I'll take a milliniums comfort all day long over a lone wolf but that's just my opinion.I think there is a model lone wolf that weighs like 11lbs but I'll tote 2.5 more pounds for all day comfort.

agreed! Millinium is an awsome stand!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Vanish is sort of a middle ground between assault and alpha. Designed by Andrae and Cody. I like it.

All depends on your size and how much platform room you're comfortable with.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

I will support lone wolf alpha 2 any day of the week, this is what I personally use. Their stands and sticks seem to be a step above the rest.With that said, a stand is what will fit you best. A few tips, look for cast aluminum with no welds on the joints because they tend to creak when cold. Hollow tubes sound like wind chimes in the woods. And how easily they can be hung in a definite must. And most importantly is customer service. If you ever have an issue or need a part you can get it. Good luck!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

antlercrazed wrote:Maybe I'm just not aware but I don't see how you can hang a lone wolf any better on a super crooked tree.I usually find the straightest part of the tree I can find and my favorites are ones that slightly are leaning back a little.But maybe I'm just not familiar enough with lone wolf and they can hang on anything crooked or not

The lone wolf and XOP both come with a "Batwing" bracket where the seat post goes against the tree. This gives you adjustability to the angle left or right. You can use the two center spikes or use the center and one of the sides. This allows the stand to be level and not angled trying to slide you off of it. They also have adjustability in the angle of the platform so if the tree slants back or forward the platform will still be level. I've been in some pretty nasty trees that with a regular stand you wouldn't be able to sit in without sliding off of it
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Keep an eye out for used stands. I paid $125 for a lightly used alpha 2 that was advertised in my local paper.
Also, I traded for an original sand cast LW that my friends Dad bought at an auction and just hung in the barn.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:30 am

Out of the options that you listed, I have only ever used the Alpha 2. I love it. I routinely haul the stand and sticks up and down steep mountains here in Appalachia. During gun season, I sometimes cheat and leave two sticks at home though. It is super quiet, light, and comfortable. Highly adjustable, and easy to hang. It will go in just about any tree. I can't think of any draw backs to it. Well, the seat could be a bit more cushy, but that's an easy fix. Happy hunting.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 am

Nelson87 wrote:Keep an eye out for used stands. I paid $125 for a lightly used alpha 2 that was advertised in my local paper.
Also, I traded for an original sand cast LW that my friends Dad bought at an auction and just hung in the barn.

X2 on used stands. I just got a lone wolf hand climber today for $150 and I don’t even use climbers lol. Don’t pay for brand new. You can find tons of lightly used for better price.

Alpha 2 is solid and is what I use. I have 4 l/w sticks and have beast sticks on order.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”