Summer observation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Summer observation

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 am

Alright, guys. I have stepped up my scouting game and finally bit the bullet in buying a spotting scope. Previously I have always sat from the road in my truck glassing properties I hunt, and land adjacent to it with my binoculars.

My goals with the spotting scope are to sit observation sits in both tree sets and ground in September trying to figure out my target bucks patterns in hopes to get a crack at them early season.

So for anyone who does this, I would like to get some tips. Here are a couple of questions I have to get it started.

1. What's your ideal setup when sitting in the tree and all you have are woods around you, are you targetting bedding areas, travel corridors leading to feeding? Are you using a camera arm to mount it? I feel like that would be the best thing to use.

2. What's your ideal setup when glassing a field, are you setting up in the woods, fence row? I picture myself sitting in a relaxing chair with a cooler by my side drinking some cold ones when doing so sometimes, may even turn this into "Date night" so I can get away with it more :lol: . I have seen people do it in fields, but just how close can ya get without them being spooked when they are upwind? They always seem spooked when stopping in the middle of the road and some even run off. I am obviously trying not to be seen.

There are a lot more questions to be had so any information you have is greatly appreciated.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: Summer observation

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 am

Check out this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45680&p=690491&hilit=spotting+scope#p690491

Some decent info and PredatorTC has a 'conclusion' statement toward the end based on trial/error...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 am

Dpierce72 wrote:Check out this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45680&p=690491&hilit=spotting+scope#p690491

Some decent info and PredatorTC has a 'conclusion' statement toward the end based on trial/error...

I appreciate you trying to help man. But this thread is actually asking about straight vs angled spotting scopes..I already have a straight spotting scope. Just have a few questions and want a few tips as to what people do when using it.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 am

10-4 over and out. Sorry for the misread.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 am

Dpierce72 wrote:10-4 over and out. Sorry for the misread.

Not a problem at all man. Like stated earlier, I appreciate you trying to help!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”