2nd Year Beast: What should I focus on?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: 2nd Year Beast: What should I focus on?

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 am

wiser blood wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Do you run cameras? Do you observe this time of year?

Also were all 50 hunts on the same 400 acres?

Lockdown,

I have a few cameras which I set up during the season last year.

All of the 50 hunts were on the same farm. Since I didn’t do any scouting, I decided to just see what I could during the season. A lot of mistakes led to good information.

I would definitely set some cams near those bedding areas that raise questions. I’ve learned a lot this way. Especially in spots where I can’t easily observe and I question who is using it. Not all big buck bedding areas have big rubs and obvious big buck sign. Use the cams to give you those answers. Hang them high. Put fresh batteries (lithium preferred) and big cards in and leave them be for a couple months.

It really helps decipher which trails see the most morning/evening movement. Many bedding areas are seasonal. They’ll also teach you the best time frame to hunt said bedding. Which is huge. Cams used in a tactical manner rather than for inventory can teach a guy a TON.

Like others have said I would expand my horizons to other properties as well. It might surprise you what you find ;)

If you don’t already, observe pre-season. Bucks that are very visible now will go underground right around velvet shed.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am

As othes have said.....I’d cut the hunts on the farm to 10-15...in reality that could probably be cut in half for 400 acres depending on how aggressive you get.
If you don’t have a lot of experience in killing deer, you should think about killing more. Most don’t kill mature animals in the early stages of their hunting development. Kill does, kill fawns, kill small bucks. Then enjoy the venison with your family and friends! Get experience and the big boys will follow. Especially with access to a 400 acre private farm if you hunt it using the information you get here on the beast.
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I posted a pic of the farm in the Land Management forum if you have time to take a look. Thanks again!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46157

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”