What do you wear? Clothing wise??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

What do you wear? Clothing wise??

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:04 am

I ask because i find early season i get really hot, and once winter hits i tend to get pretty cold after a couple hours in the stand. What have yall found is the best gear for increasing comfort in the stand during early and late season? And please dont say suffer through it. I spent 4.5 years as Airborne Infantry, so the last 4.5 years have been 90% uncomforable, I would like my off time to be in comfort when Im in the stand :lol:

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: What do you wear? Clothing wise??

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 am

Hot temps as I'm sure you know comfort does not exist.
I like polyester in early season since it helps wick away moisture.

Late season just thermals and oros clothing.
I have not sprayed myself with liquid nitrogen like the oros video but felt comfortable in freezing temps though I never hunted below 0 like a few guys on here do.

Theres alot of ski clothing that is just as good if not better then hunting companys clothing at a cheaper price if you don't care about camo pattern.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 am

There are lots of great companies out there that can provide clothing of all sorts of Temperatures.

I like Sitka Gear. I have many different items for different occasions in the stand. 4 seasons ago I was pushed out of my stand during November. I said to myself that the weather wouldn't dictate whether I stay in the stand or not. I did a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that Sitka was best for my situations. ;)
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 am

The merino wool in layers has been the best bet for me. Early season wear one thin layer. A base layers with a midweight as it gets cooler. Once its below 35 a base, a mid layer, and a third outer layer with jacket of need be that blocks wind and rain. It's worth investing some money on good clothes. I tried cheap stuff just wearing whatever, and it made hunting miserable when it was cold for me. I like the light weight warm gear. I've had good luck with first lite and core4element. Good sales after the season. I dont like being freezing lol
Make It Happen
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 am

I'm also a fan of polyester early- I've actually been snagging Nomad shirts on CamoFire when they're running their specials. I recently scouted all day in 95+ degree heat and humidity and stayed plenty comfortable. I hunted in similar conditions in both Georgia and Florida during turkey season as well and can't say enough good things about the cooling shirts. I've also noticed that if I hang them outside when around camp, they dry quickly and don't seem to hold any averse smells, which is another huge positive for me.

As far as cold weather stuff goes, I'm probably a poor person to comment on this considering that the coldest it gets during Georgia's deer season is mid-20s, but unless it's that cold, I usually stick windproof fleece with quality base layers (good polypropylene or merino) underneath. If it's really cold (sub-freezing, which is rare), then I'll go with a set of waterproof bibs/parka. The biggest thing for me is keeping my head and feet warm- if those are good then I can usually deal with my body being slightly cooler.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:43 am

Warm weather, or even cold weather with a long hike, I wear a polyester tshirt in and take it off once I get in the tree, changing into dry merino. Change into a dry hat also. I sweat a lot.

Cold weather I layer up. Merino baselayers, fleece or primaloft insulation, and a good windproof softshell. Don't forget the windproof hat and neck gaiter.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm

T-Shirts on the walk in and then I put it in a gallon size zip lock bag about 100 yds out and leave it on the ground put on long sleeve cheap cotton shirt after that. Grab my t-shirt on the way out. Cold Im not much help since I hunt in the south, just try to stay warm.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm

In warm weather I just slip on a cheap $10 camo long sleeve shirt from wal mart. Light weight pants, hat, and light weight hiking socks. Muck boots in wet areas, mid ankle hiking boots anywhere else.

In cold weather I of course start with a good base layer. Under Armour base layer from the neck down, and I have a variety of cabelas base layers of different weights I may wear over under armour. Either a flannel or wool pullover for the upper body. Either a beanie or Elmer Fudd style hat with ear flaps on my head. I usually layer up with 2 pairs of wool socks under my muck boots. On my hands a pair of under armour gloves that I can easily slip heavier wool gloves over top of. On colder days I always keep a fleece hand warmer around my waist.
Grant

Unread postby Grant » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:35 pm

NOT fleece as an outer layer ever again. I am freaking done picking out beggars lice.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Warm weather I wear cheap camo. Cold weather, i have some UA stuff that keeps me pretty warm down to like 15-20 degree F and for colder I bought an iwom last year and was blown away by how warm it kept me. I can wear light base layers maybe one more layer, set up and then throw the iwom on.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Hot early season I prefer shorts and a tank top under one of those mesh leafy suits. Feel it keeps me the coolest.

I don't face as harsh of a winter as most on here, but I suggest if your on a budget invest the most in a quality base layer, vest and socks. With those u should be able to monkey your way through anything
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 pm

elk yinzer wrote:Warm weather, or even cold weather with a long hike, I wear a polyester tshirt in and take it off once I get in the tree, changing into dry merino. Change into a dry hat also. I sweat a lot.

Cold weather I layer up. Merino baselayers, fleece or primaloft insulation, and a good windproof softshell. Don't forget the windproof hat and neck gaiter.

Nailed it
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 am

Light merino in the early season. Maybe bring a sweatshirt along for the last hour of the sit when that sun goes down and the damp chill sets in. Merino also vents extremely well especially in the thinner varieties.

Mid season I add Predator Stealth fleece series over top of the merino.

Late season I wear all the above plus some heavy duty merino layers and bring along my IWOM. Cannot beat this system. I used to wear Sitka and although it's good, it's not nearly as warm as an IWOM and overly expensive for what a guy needs in the early season.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 am

Early season I wear light merino wool and move slow so not to work up a sweat (damn near impossible), midseason I have base layers and a windproof light jacket, late season I break out the cabelas berber fleece with windshear. I have noticed that the cold wont bother me if I can block out the wind. If the wind cuts through my clothing then I am a miserable SOB in the stand.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 am

What a great post and im pretty big boy and sweat like a pig. Since the dr told me the other day I'm obese and need too lose 30 lbs. I said doc i just lost 28. Lol
I do sweat alot because of my weight but it doesnt disable me at all. Im just well rounded lol.
I need too find a year round system, but I live sitka stuff but its just not in my budget. Cabelas stuff is getting the same way
I have some old scent lock stuff which is from the says when i was a victim of you need this too see deer part of my life lol. That stuff is just hot.its horrible
Does anyone know any good year round systems that arent killer on bank accounts. I dont care about cammo.
I like too wear browns and dark tan colors etc. cammo is too me also just a marketing ploy to jack prices up
Dont get me wrong i like cammo.
I tell my kids all the time my favorite colr is cammo. Lol
Thnks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”