Stand height and human perception.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Stand height and human perception.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 am

Today I decided to do a test setting many times to see stand height averages. I took a 30 foot tapemeasure and tied it to the bottom of my stand platform.

Putting my stand 12 inches above my top stick I noticed my stand height guesses were off.

2 lone wolf sticks above knee with stand above top step average was a true 12 feet 2 inches on average.
3 lone wolf sticks was 15 feet 9 inches average.
4 lone wolf sticks blew my mind i was figuring 22 feet in the tiny Assault platform i felt higher then i was. Average 18 feet 11 inches. I noticed i never spaced the 4th stick out anywhere near as much as my second stick.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Stand height and human perception.

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am

Once i get over 18', i feel like i am 50' high. I really have a mental road block around that height.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 am

Try it in the dark...every time I end up 25+ feet it's because it's in the morning in the dark and I just keep climbing and climbing. Evening hunts I always seem to top out about 18-20.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:20 am

elk yinzer wrote:Try it in the dark...every time I end up 25+ feet it's because it's in the morning in the dark and I just keep climbing and climbing. Evening hunts I always seem to top out about 18-20.

lol yeah once in my old summit viper I climbed to the very top of a oak tree. When daylight came everything looked flat I realized I was way way higher then I planned and for awhile I was to scared to attempt to climb down.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 am

Perception with heights is a funny thing- set the stand at 3-4 sticks high and have someone else climb in it while you're on the ground- they always seem so much closer to the ground than you feel like when you're the one in the tree.

I'm much more leery of regular lock-ons at extended height than either climbers or the real fixed-position lock-ons with rails personally. I've hunted 40-50ft up these Georgia pines many times and will continue to do so when necessary during rifle season, and we have some of the lock-ons with rails in the 30-40ft range as well, but to be in a stand with no rail/support would be a big no-go for me, I'm sticking to 25ft (preferably less) on those.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 am

The number doesn't matter as much as being where you need to be. Based on cover, shooting lanes & deer travel trails.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am

I have a 20 ft and a 30 ft pull rope depending on how high I hunt so pretty easy to judge stand height going by that.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:Try it in the dark...every time I end up 25+ feet it's because it's in the morning in the dark and I just keep climbing and climbing. Evening hunts I always seem to top out about 18-20.

lol yeah once in my old summit viper I climbed to the very top of a oak tree. When daylight came everything looked flat I realized I was way way higher then I planned and for awhile I was to scared to attempt to climb down.

Thought I was the only one that has done that :lol:

Ahh the days when I didn’t wear a harness. Happy to be here. Still have a hook in one tree that has to be darn near 35-40’. Crazy high. And I hate heights. Never tried getting that hook back
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:43 am

Dewey wrote:I have a 20 ft and a 30 ft pull rope depending on how high I hunt so pretty easy to judge stand height going by that.

Yup - rope math for me too. :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 am

Dewey wrote:I have a 20 ft and a 30 ft pull rope depending on how high I hunt so pretty easy to judge stand height going by that.

That’s my gauge as
Well
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I have used the same 20' pull rope for over twenty years. I can honestly say there is no way I would ever climb higher than that. Perhaps certain situations in the hills calls for me to be 35' in order for my scent to pass over the deer, but, I would miss the shot anyways because I am scared to move!

In my reality, the deer are in WAY more trouble when I am at 12' than 20'.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm

This reminds me of a morning when I was young I climbed a huge pine tree in the middle of some thick stuff but on the edge of a clearcut so you could see me up there from a great distance away. In a Loggy Buyou climber never a safety harness I was at least 40 feet up. My uncle saw me and came to the tree to scold me...he tells the story that I was 60' up there...lol

I always think higher is better...especially in the AM darkness...funny stories here in this thread,

I just got a Doyles Hoist and marked footage on the strap with a silver pen, this year will be interesting to see exactly.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm

I've always used a climber, switching to hang on this year. I have a 25' rope, and my goal was to lift the bow off the ground before i stop climbing. I was afraid of heights at one point, then when I climbed up a birch tree, got to that 20' mark and slid the whole way down the tree. I had the shakes for a while, but got to thinking, that fall wasn't so bad, and shook my fear then.

I know actually falling from 20' can be bad, but that little slide seemed to shake the fear right out of me.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I use a rope to judge my height. Its comforting to know exactly how high you are I guess.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:48 pm

I use a rope too but I know once I get passed about 16' it feels higher than I am. I hadn't seen an advantage for me being higher than 18' really. It seems the understory is thick so my views dont really get any better if I'm 25' and usually it's worse. I could see needing to get higher in hill country tho. But there are times I dont use a rope and tree has limbs and I think I'm high but if I get down and look up I'm no higher than 18' so it's funny how that is
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:07 pm

I do the same thing Dewey

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”