Why aren't decent bucks enough?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Why aren't decent bucks enough?

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 pm

There are only really two reasons I see for chasing the biggest bucks you can find, or the biggest whatever you are hunting. Either to impress others, or to test yourself against the toughest prey you can find to hunt. In my opinion the former reason is pretty lousy but the latter is something I can relate to and respect.

I still have a lot of respect for pure meat hunters. Shoot that spike and be darn proud of knowing where your food is coming from my friend.

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Why aren't decent bucks enough?

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm

JoeRE wrote:There are only really two reasons I see for chasing the biggest bucks you can find, or the biggest whatever you are hunting. Either to impress others, or to test yourself against the toughest prey you can find to hunt. In my opinion the former reason is pretty lousy but the latter is something I can relate to and respect.

I still have a lot of respect for pure meat hunters. Shoot that spike and be darn proud of knowing where your food is coming from my friend.

I like this. I wrestle with it sometimes. Meat is and will always be my number one reason to kill (not to hunt, but I could get outside and enjoy it plenty without killing). So does that mean it's just ego if I am rewarded by killing 2 and 3 year old bucks instead of just the the first deer that wanders by? Honestly don't know. The fact I get a lot more meat off them is definitely part of the decision...On the other hand, truth serum time, I strive to be like a lot of the guys here in pursuing mature bucks, but also like that my wall full of 2 and 3 year olds with a few mature bucks thrown in impresses just about everyone else I know who hunts, but isn't as serious as I am. I think I do a pretty good job of keeping it all in perspective and hunting for myself, but impressing others can be a confidence boost sometimes. Big antlers do look pretty cool too!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”