Why aren't decent bucks enough?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Why aren't decent bucks enough?

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 am

elk yinzer wrote:Multiple tags is interesting too, be it one state or living close to another, or traveling for overnights. Definitely changes the math a little. We only get one tag here in PA. Makes the shoot/pass choice tougher I think. You have that one tag and want to fill it, but doing so you are done for a whole year.

Absolutely, if I didn't have the ts and opportunities I do, I would be hard pressed to end my season in early October on a two year old. I live in IL 8 miles from WI, not a bad situation! It'd be interesting to have to test that mentality though since I also love small game hunting, water fowling, the fishing is great in fall, scouting....

I really do get the challenge thing though. I was a pretty obsessive trout fisherman from about 10 years old until maybe 30. The more goals that I knocked out there, the more it lost a little bit of something for me. Fished spinners and rapalas early on, then that got old, so went to only flies, then slowly checked off most of the chalenging aspects of that to where I felt like I was on top of where I wanted to be. I still love going, but around 30 I really started focusing more on bowhunting for bigger bucks because it was a new challenge for me, and I had failed on many big bucks before that. That experience really let me understand why some people have that drive like some of the discussion about Andrae from another recent thread.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:52 am

I enjoy hunting decent bucks. A 100” buck with a bow qualifies for our state record book. They got that minimum right. It’s an accomplishment on public land and most private has well
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:57 am

Interesting to bring up fishing. I would tend to think there are some similarities to muskie fishing...

I like my fish fries. And fish tacos. And chowder. Lol. So I fish mostly for walleye and I'm not above a mess of bluegill now and again. When I can retire and fish every day, I may do some muskie but for now just not interested.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:17 am

It's all relative I guess, to the hunter. I'm confident in saying that many of us on this forum are pretty likeminded but are on different levels as far as evolving as a deer hunter. Ever since I was a little kid around 6 or so, I was just fascinated with deer. Then when I came of age to hunt at 12...all I cared about was hunting deer. Got a big doe at first light on my first legal hunt with a rifle. After that I've been on a mission it seems. I just want to improve all the time. Challenging ourselves is what brings us closer to our goals. My goal is to someday tag a 170" deer in PA. I still shoot my share of deer well below that and would never judge anyone else no matter what sized deer they take. I started hunting with a crazy climbing treestand that is laughable now to look at that a guy made in his garage..then went to a bit better version...ended up in a summit..and then of course the LW line of stands. Now i'm into the saddle! Just the same with deer I guess, start out with some young does and bucks and then progressing onto bigger and harder to hunt deer. The natural progression that I was able to experience has been somewhat lost due to the industry and social media. I've only been hunting 20yrs and it has changed so much recently! Less experienced hunters set the bar way too high and often get frustrated since they can't harvest huge bucks. That's a shame because killing just about any deer is not an easy task to those new to the game! I have gotten to the point where killing younger/smaller deer is not that difficult to do so I don't do it, but thats not to say that other hunters shouldn't. We all ended up on this forum for the same reason I think. We are all trying to learn and improve. I'm glad to be a part of a site that doesn't bash people or allow the negativity I see on so many other platforms.
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:31 am

I think it is like playing golf, you're competing against yourself. I am the type of golfer that always wants to beat my previous score, or my average score. It is the same with deer hunting. I haven't shot many bucks, and the biggest is only 60"...maybe. And I am quite happy with that, it tasted just fine. But, now I want to beat that one and I know when I do, I'll try to do better than the next.

Some golfers want to start scoring in the high 80's. When they do, they are quite content to just keep shooting the same score. Nothing wrong with setting a goal and being content with the achievement. You'll still have a good round in the low 80's, just like the consistent decent buck killer will occasionally get a bruiser.

Whether or not you pursue hardware, it seems the driving force behind most of the beasts is the respect and admiration for the prey. The enjoyment in the hunt and the challenge of victory. The puzzle to be solved in defeat.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:40 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:To answer the question "Why aren't decent bucks enought?", it really stems into the thought of anything in our world. Is a decent vehicle enough. A decent house. A decent job. A decent amount of money. Is it ever enough? It really depends on the individual but if you think about it, we are creatures that are unsatisfiable to a certain point.

Personally I see this with vehicles mostly since it's most obvious. Take for example the guy who drives the smart car who gets 50 mpg and the guy who drives the Hummer all jacked up with big rims and tires getting 10 mpg. Now both vehicles can get you from point A to point B. So why the need for such a large vehicle then with the Hummer? Is it about status? Is it to fulfill a need that can't be fulfilled? Is it about perception? Because in the end of the day, who cares what that person drives? A person might argue that larger vehicles are used for certain purposes and I agree with that. However I see several wealthy people who can afford just about anything, purchase these items without the intention to use them as they were designed for.

Back to the original question. Why aren't decent bucks enough? I think I've heard that it's a hunters progression. First they start to get any deer. A doe, a button buck, or whatever. Then they get that doe. Next they try for a buck. Any buck that presents itself. A spike maybe. They get that spike. Next comes a 2 1/2 basket 8. And then a 125. Then a 140. Then 175. And etc. As success happens, goals change and a person wants to challenge themselves. Now not all people are like this. Some are content with shooting any deer. But there are also some that strive achieve the next goal year after year. I think it's in our DNA and our nature to want a challenge, to want to strive for the next best thing.

Well said! I believe you are correct about us being unsatisfiable. We can temporarily drink from the cup but it never really quenches our thirst. The need for more or better is always controlling our thoughts.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:To answer the question "Why aren't decent bucks enought?", it really stems into the thought of anything in our world. Is a decent vehicle enough. A decent house. A decent job. A decent amount of money. Is it ever enough? It really depends on the individual but if you think about it, we are creatures that are unsatisfiable to a certain point.

Personally I see this with vehicles mostly since it's most obvious. Take for example the guy who drives the smart car who gets 50 mpg and the guy who drives the Hummer all jacked up with big rims and tires getting 10 mpg. Now both vehicles can get you from point A to point B. So why the need for such a large vehicle then with the Hummer? Is it about status? Is it to fulfill a need that can't be fulfilled? Is it about perception? Because in the end of the day, who cares what that person drives? A person might argue that larger vehicles are used for certain purposes and I agree with that. However I see several wealthy people who can afford just about anything, purchase these items without the intention to use them as they were designed for.

Back to the original question. Why aren't decent bucks enough? I think I've heard that it's a hunters progression. First they start to get any deer. A doe, a button buck, or whatever. Then they get that doe. Next they try for a buck. Any buck that presents itself. A spike maybe. They get that spike. Next comes a 2 1/2 basket 8. And then a 125. Then a 140. Then 175. And etc. As success happens, goals change and a person wants to challenge themselves. Now not all people are like this. Some are content with shooting any deer. But there are also some that strive achieve the next goal year after year. I think it's in our DNA and our nature to want a challenge, to want to strive for the next best thing.

Well said! I believe you are correct about us being unsatisfiable. We can temporarily drink from the cup but it never really quenches our thirst. The need for more or better is always controlling our thoughts.

This is interesting to me as well. I think, like many things, this is kind of a spectrum. I see a lot of guys on here with that gene for just being straight driven in everything they do. I won't say I envy it, but I respect the heck out of it. I tend to be someone who is a little more contented in what I have. There are still things I value and want to succeed at that I invest time and effort into learning and growing at, but for me it's more about the experience than the goal. I'm not much of a goal setter. That's not to say I think I'm lazy. I strive very hard for constant personal growth, but I think I do a good job (for me and my personality) of finding the balance between being satisfied with what I have, and working hard for the things I want. That probably means I'll never have a wall like Dan's or a lot of other guys on here, but to get back to the original question, for me, right now, that is enough.

Everyone has their own path. It was stated earlier here, but one of the many pitfalls of the modern hunting industry is the creation of this myth that if you aren't shooting a bigger buck than last year every year you're failing. If that works for you, not a problem, but there is so much more to hunting that gets lost in all of that nonsense. I'm as proud of the food as the antlers on my wall (though I like my antlers too :))
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:06 am

elk yinzer wrote:I know a fair amount of good hunters that want nothing to do with hunting forums and other social media.

Most are perfectly content shooting a decent "representative" buck for our area about every year and don't travel or really strive for more. I consider these guys dang good hunters. Even tagging consistently out here in public ain't easy. Guys that can hunt, guys that are legit woodsman, but guys that don't go nuts over antler size. I am still feeling like I am here in my hunting journey most of the time.

Is a beast confined to those who are not satisfied by these "decent" bucks but strive for more?

Purposely won't define decent because it varies so much geographically, but let's say guys that will give most 2 year olds a pass; 3 year olds are in trouble, and do kill a 4+ every few years.

If "decent" bucks aren't enough, why not?

Human nature? Ego?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 am

Hawthorne wrote:I enjoy hunting decent bucks. A 100” buck with a bow qualifies for our state record book. They got that minimum right. It’s an accomplishment on public land and most private has well

Amen, I think its 115" for us here in PA with a Bow. But yeah, a 100" deer is most definitely the goal of 99.999999% of hunters in the woods here.

I can say that for me and my family and friends and anyone I know locally around here that hunts, if you shoot an 8 point with a 12 inch rack (like an 80"-90" deer) you'll get a pat on the back for the next 2 months from everyone in town.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Amen, I think its 115" for us here in PA with a Bow. But yeah, a 100" deer is most definitely the goal of 99.999999% of hunters in the woods here.

I can say that for me and my family and friends and anyone I know locally around here that hunts, if you shoot an 8 point with a 12 inch rack (like an 80"-90" deer) you'll get a pat on the back for the next 2 months from everyone in town.

Yeah that's about where I am at. Heck growing up pre AR even getting a little yearling every year wasn't a given. A conversation with a guy I play baseball with kinda generated the discussion. I can kill those PA 8 points every year. I certainly strive for better and want to start consistently killing those 115+, but I have to ask myself why? Is to challenge myself? Sure. To impress others...well, I can say no, but maybe it is a little bit if we're all being honest. Then it gets into the whole game theory of shoot/pass and potentially having an unfilled tag when you passed a decent buck. It's interesting.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am

I am fine with decent bucks. It’s pretty much all I shoot lol.

Big ones are cool and a wall hanger every few years would be nice but I am out there to kill. I will hunt the way I hunt which will get me opportunities at mature bucks and eventually one of those mature bucks will have a big rack. It’s just a game of numbers. But decent bucks very rarely get a pass by me, sorry you going in the cooler.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 am

As someone previously said, I imagine that it is more about competing with yourself. I have only been hunting four seasons, all with a bow and have only taken one buck, who would barely qualify as "decent." I am hoping to get one a bit more mature this year and imagine if I do, I will want one a little bigger the next year. All said though, in the bowhunting world I believe that any deer taken is quite an accomplishment.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am

I think it is about what you want to get out of it. Some guys are content, some always want more.

The fishing analogy - start with bait, go to lures, then to flies. I guess - we always caught more fish on flies - used to tie em. Next was Rapalas, then spoons (trout). After 25-30 years of "doing it the hard way" I reached a point where I wanted to relax and went back to bait and some other techniques down here that out-fish bait much of the time. It went from satisfaction of lures to just wanting to catch fish and relax. I fish primarily for the freezer and only get a limited amount of time to go, so might as well do what I want.

It seems like that applies for the guys who want more. It is what makes 'em happy.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 am

Rich M wrote:I think it is about what you want to get out of it. Some guys are content, some always want more.

The fishing analogy - start with bait, go to lures, then to flies. I guess - we always caught more fish on flies - used to tie em. Next was Rapalas, then spoons (trout). After 25-30 years of "doing it the hard way" I reached a point where I wanted to relax and went back to bait and some other techniques down here that out-fish bait much of the time. It went from satisfaction of lures to just wanting to catch fish and relax. I fish primarily for the freezer and only get a limited amount of time to go, so might as well do what I want.

It seems like that applies for the guys who want more. It is what makes 'em happy.

I think that is a key phrase for hunters too. I like shooting big bucks, and like PK stated, have reached a point where I know the way I hunt will give me a chance at them, but food is always going to be the primary driver of my hunting, so it's hard to see getting to the level of only targeting mature large antlered deer. With my trout fishing analogy, I was probably 98% catch and release in those days, so the experience mattered more to me. I think it's the same for a lot of guys who strive for bigger and bigger bucks.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 am

Rich M wrote:I think it is about what you want to get out of it. Some guys are content, some always want more.

I like fishing analogies, do feel fishing is a bit diff by pure numbers of fish and pressure doesn't matter as much. But I don't often fish in a way that catches the most fish, I fish in a way that brings me joy. Spring time crappie here u will always catch more numbers spider riggin the flats, but there is nothing I luv more than 6" of line hanging out of a 10' fly rod. What a thump, I dream about it. Then there's days I know the fishing is gonna stink but I go anyway just hoping for that one thump to make the day worth it. I tie my own jigs cause it adds to the joy, will I always be that way? I dunno, let ya know when I get there. Life's short, live free or die tryin
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”