Random thought

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Random thought

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Please don’t hesitate to tell me it’ll never work

I was cleaning and organizing my shed today
I had a couple sets of sticks I was moving around and of course they made some clanks as I moved them.
I thought “def not beast worthy. Waaaay to loud” lol

Then I thought of all the info and posts I’ve read on here about quiet, methods for making gear quiet, getting into and to the tree in quiet etc. Figuring out how close you can get to his bedding and where he will come out in the evening.

I’ve read about how scouting from afar, glassing, deciding where to set up based on where the big boy opts to come out after dark etc etc

I’ve read how your best chance most often is your first set.

And then I said to myself “ Sailfish, what if you set up well after dark? After he’s left his bedding, took his exit route, made his rounds. Hit his food sources whatever he does before returning to his fav bedding.

Is that possible?
Go in....9, 10, 11 pm when he’s well away from his bed
I thought in theory, he’s not gonna hear you, see you or smell you, even smell if you were in the wood (unless he used the same route back as he did to exit).

Next evening, you have no gear to worry about, it’s technically your first sit, all you have to do is slide in and get in your seat

Thoughts for discussion?

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Random thought

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:13 pm

I've never set up at night for a next day evening hunt, but I have plenty of times for a morning one. The key to success is not crossing anything he uses until he's in your shot lane. I like to use water for this. If he cuts your track any where inbetween it's game over. Would guess for a evening hunt your odds go down, cause the deer have been in that area all day and prob are on to your game.

What u are describing is a 3 trip scenario which leaves a big mess. In, out and back in. Give it a shot but think u would be better off going in slow and taking your sweet quiet time setting up for a one hit wonder.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:43 pm

The Wensel brothers talk about moving their stands at night. The issue is the buck going back to bed before shooting light. I would say that you would be better off hunting an evening stand that sets up well for the morning and then returning to the same spot for a morning hunt,
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:46 pm

It maps out perfect on paper, but real world it’s not that easy. You have to factor in Mother Nature.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:48 pm

IMO...I would rather be a little stealthier, and set-up on the evening you plan on hunting. Any scent in there before, puts you at risk of being scented. And busting in there and setting up in the dark the night before, doesn't seem like an advantage.

Also in some areas it's illegal to leave stands up overnight. Or someone could come thru and find your set-up and steal it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:35 pm

I've done it...but, it's been when I come across hot sign while I'm coon hunting at night...and I go right in the next morning. The deer are somewhat used to me and the dog. If they are "intelligent" they'd know I was "just coon hunting".

I had a fairly successful sit that morning...but it was a rut hunt and 1.5yos seemed to be running rampant.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:48 am

Seems like the unknowns of not knowing where he is would be too risky. He could be in the area or bed, plus seems like a good potential he'd wind something at some point. But ya never know I guess
Make It Happen
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:10 am

If your that committed to a certain buck then just stay in the stand all night too.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 am

[quote="tim"]If your that committed to a certain buck then just stay in the stand all night too.[/quote

Always wanted to slide into my shanty in MI one evening, just one time.
Climb in the sleeping bag and catch the fellas coming back to their bedding at first light.

There was a couple years a nice one was bedding literally right behind my shanty (but on the neighbors property)
One of those “ya never know, it just might work” type of things.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:43 am

Boogieman1 wrote:What u are describing is a 3 trip scenario which leaves a big mess. In, out and back in. Give it a shot but think u would be better off going in slow and taking your sweet quiet time setting up for a one hit wonder.

I agree with this.

Here's something that I'm going to try early season this year, that certainly won't work for everyone, on a piece I hunt within 5 minutes of my office after work. Getting there after work, changing into clothes, sneaking into a setup and climbing a tree cuts me real close to deer movement time. Instead of doing that, I'm going to go in during my lunch hour, slip everything up the tree but my bow, then return after work to hunt. Wind noise should be better for setting up during the middle of the day, plus anything that hears me and is uncertain about what they heard, has plenty of time to settle down before the evening. This also gives me another chance to scout out the locale and make sure I'm not "wasting" a sit. If I find that the sign isn't there, then I can readjust and go to a different setup for the evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”