Morning Glassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bobo

Morning Glassing

Unread postby Bobo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:54 am

I seen on THP videos from last year of bucks moving after daylight inside the bedding area. It got me thinking.... Has anybody ever tried classing bedding areas in the morning? Not only to confirm that a certain buck is around, but also to confirm that he is using a certain bedding area. Obviously you don't want to get in close right now. But if you knew where there was a bedding area and you can get up high and watch it from a long ways off that would be an option. With having kids mornings would work better than me versus evenings. And I was wondering if anyone has ever had success with this.

lungpuncher1

Re: Morning Glassing

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Since I work alot of nights I glass right at daylight very often. In the last 5 years I've killed 4 of the dozens of bucks I've watched morning / summer glassing very soon after opening day.

It's been a double edge sword also. I watch a good buck all July and most of August getting my hopes up and literally putting him to bed several mornings in a row only for him to move on after he sheds velvet.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am

lungpuncher1 wrote:Since I work alot of nights I glass right at daylight very often. In the last 5 years I've killed 4 of the dozens of bucks I've watched morning / summer glassing very soon after opening day.

It's been a double edge sword also. I watch a good buck all July and most of August getting my hopes up and literally putting him to bed several mornings in a row only for him to move on after he sheds velvet.

Are you watching these deer go to bed and making an afternoon kill because you know where they are? Or cutting them off going to bed and making a morning kill? Or some of each?
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 am

Dpierce72 wrote:
lungpuncher1 wrote:Since I work alot of nights I glass right at daylight very often. In the last 5 years I've killed 4 of the dozens of bucks I've watched morning / summer glassing very soon after opening day.

Are you watching these deer go to bed and making an afternoon kill because you know where they are? Or cutting them off going to bed and making a morning kill? Or some of each?

The toughest part of Beast tactics is WHEN to hunt a bedding area. Especially if you’re like me and have a tough time with consistent bed use.

I can’t think of a better scenario than watching one head to bed in the morning, then moving in on him that night.
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 am

I have done both.

The way my access is to a certain property that I morning glass regularly I like to hunt them in the morning. I can get in and drop in above them as they come up from the fields I've been watching.

It's hit or miss especially since it's about the time of year the bucks start to really venture onto other properties.

I've actually drove to the bottom and seen with my own two eyes the bucks were in the field well before daylight then I'll drive around and go set up real quick knowing they aren't close yet(obviously with the right wind). If they are still down there I don't even try however.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am

Lockdown wrote:
Dpierce72 wrote:

The toughest part of Beast tactics is WHEN to hunt a bedding area. Especially if you’re like me and have a tough time with consistent bed use.

I can’t think of a better scenario than watching one head to bed in the morning, then moving in on him that night.

Totally agree with that last sentence - was mainly just curious based on a scene from Farm Bedding w/Joe (Predator TC).

He knew where the bucks were bedding based on observation, moved in for a morning hunt, and the buck bedded just out of range. He was able to slip out undetected and relocate closer for an afternoon hunt that produced a shot. Was mainly just curious more than anything else based on watching that video.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”