Above Entry for setup possible?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Above Entry for setup possible?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Anyone do above entrys midday with rising thermal?

Most of my setups i enter from below i have a spot i think a below entry will bust me the way the drainage runs.
Im thinking coming in from northwest and cutting across the top setting up on the lee side with bucks bedding on a southeast point have you guys done this? The bucks leave to the northwest.

Their is a buck bed northeast of setup which is why I don't think I can enter below almost directly east does have a gully- bowl. I do not know much about this bed or what beds in it.

I'm thinking the gully in pm my scent will fall into it as the buck transition follows the edge of the gully.

I do know that from my scouting its the best place to sit on the transition.

With the rising thermal think i can get away with this?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Above Entry for setup possible?

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Might be a dumb question without knowing how far the 2 beds are spaced apart... Are you sure both beds aren’t for the same buck with different wind setups?

If it is 2 separate bucks, hard to say without a topo.

Also... I’ve got a similar setup like this I’m going to hunt for the first time this year. Planning to hunt the further out bed first. Throw a second sit a month later at the other bed/exit... immediately if it makes sense to though.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 am

Your idea "sounds" like how I approach my pm hunts. I rarely use a lower entrance.

Depending on how you enter from the Northwest for a bedded southeastern point, if you dont bump the buck (assuming he is bedded on the SE point due to a NW wind) you are hoping to end up in the evening at last hunting hour with an off wind. Allowing the buck to travel within shooting range, without getting into your scent stream first.

Timing is of great importance. You will need to get as close to the bed as you can without bumping him, because literally every single minute of last light will be needed.

One other thing...you mentioned entering midday... when you are setup just off wind, sometimes setting up too early in the day gives a lot of hours waiting for him to exit. That gives a lot more opportunity for wind shifts to float your scent to his bed. Use plenty of milkweed and drop them often. However if its an area that gets a bunch of pressure, if you wind shifts towards his bed, you might as well complete the sit, because if he exits into the NW, he is going to smell your presence later on anyway.

I just wouldnt set up too early. Depending on what time of the year your going to sit him, early season dark around here comes pretty darn late
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Might be a dumb question without knowing how far the 2 beds are spaced apart... Are you sure both beds aren’t for the same buck with different wind setups?

If it is 2 separate bucks, hard to say without a topo.

Also... I’ve got a similar setup like this I’m going to hunt for the first time this year. Planning to hunt the further out bed first. Throw a second sit a month later at the other bed/exit... immediately if it makes sense to though.

Probaby 200 yards apart.
The southeastern buck beds have multiple beds and is primary bedding i have personaly seen a 3 year old bedded in that group.

This other bed is a large single bedding around a point and i believe to possibly be a older mature bed can not confirm it is other then a big bed.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:33 am

backstraps wrote:Your idea "sounds" like how I approach my pm hunts. I rarely use a lower entrance.

Depending on how you enter from the Northwest for a bedded southeastern point, if you dont bump the buck (assuming he is bedded on the SE point due to a NW wind) you are hoping to end up in the evening at last hunting hour with an off wind. Allowing the buck to travel within shooting range, without getting into your scent stream first.

Timing is of great importance. You will need to get as close to the bed as you can without bumping him, because literally every single minute of last light will be needed.

One other thing...you mentioned entering midday... when you are setup just off wind, sometimes setting up too early in the day gives a lot of hours waiting for him to exit. That gives a lot more opportunity for wind shifts to float your scent to his bed. Use plenty of milkweed and drop them often. However if its an area that gets a bunch of pressure, if you wind shifts towards his bed, you might as well complete the sit, because if he exits into the NW, he is going to smell your presence later on anyway.

I just wouldnt set up too early. Depending on what time of the year your going to sit him, early season dark around here comes pretty darn late

Thanks great reply.
Im not so much worried about the southeastern bucks cutting my wind.
I am concerned my wind possibly blowing over or around the bowl to the what i believe a mature buck bed.

It is very rarely pressured.
In order for me to get where i need to be you understood perfectly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”