Ozonics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

antlercrazed

Re: Ozonics

Unread postby antlercrazed » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 am

Not gonna lie this seems like a silly argument unless it is made by someone who hunts off the ground with painted on mud slinging wooden arrows out of their hand crafted bow.And beings pretty much zero hunters do that then this is pretty ridiculous.Its great to respect the game you hunt but I feel like anytime we start to dive into bashing a legal method or legal tool to use to harvest an animal we tend to slowly drift into the world of elitism and I'm more of a hunter than you and so on and so on.Just my two cents

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:38 am

antlercrazed wrote:Not gonna lie this seems like a silly argument unless it is made by someone who hunts off the ground with painted on mud slinging wooden arrows out of their hand crafted bow.And beings pretty much zero hunters do that then this is pretty ridiculous.Its great to respect the game you hunt but I feel like anytime we start to dive into bashing a legal method or legal tool to use to harvest an animal we tend to slowly drift into the world of elitism and I'm more of a hunter than you and so on and so on.Just my two cents

BINGO.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 am

what I have discovered is that the most important part of successful hunting is getting an animal within your kill range. All the gear, gimmics, practice, etc is worthless if you cant get a deer in front of you.

You have to understand deer behavior and set up accordingly to succeed. You can sit under an ozonics machine for 100 years and if it is the wrong spot you will never succeed. With or without ozonics you still have to know how to hunt.

Each of us gets to pick the difficulty factor by the equipment and tactics we choose but this is secondary to getting the deer in front of you in the first place. I believe that if someone wants to use ozonics it is really no different than rattling horns or baiting or using a tree stand.

The question is: what is fair chase?
I personally dont have a problem with people using ozonics because they still need to know how to hunt and since I dont believe it blocks scent 100% it might actually be saving deer.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:25 am

antlercrazed wrote:Not gonna lie this seems like a silly argument unless it is made by someone who hunts off the ground with painted on mud slinging wooden arrows out of their hand crafted bow.And beings pretty much zero hunters do that then this is pretty ridiculous.Its great to respect the game you hunt but I feel like anytime we start to dive into bashing a legal method or legal tool to use to harvest an animal we tend to slowly drift into the world of elitism and I'm more of a hunter than you and so on and so on.Just my two cents

Both agree and disagree. I wholeheartedly agree that we should not be bashing hunters who use tools that are currently legal. But a line has to be drawn somewhere in determining what should and should not be legal, and having discussions about those things helps us all form our opinions.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:32 am

One thing I believe with hunting (and really anything) is that it's as easy or as hard as you want to make it. You can use a rifle with a high powered scope on a ranch of corn fed pet animals. You can also use a Trad bow, on the ground, still hunting, in an area with little to no deer, with no camo, no scent control using the wind. I don't think one is superior to the other. It's our choice of how we want to hunt. Do I believe that ozonics is a great tool to use for hunting? It's probably effective but I'm not going to use it. I honestly don't think it should be illegal.

Hunters use treestands, camo, advanced archery gear, crossbows, rifles/shotguns, food plots, towers built like a hotel suite, Mr. heaters, deer scents, grunts, rattling horns, hunt fenced animals, managed private property, corn piles, mineral sites, ozone gear, and the list goes on and on. Ethics and morals are in your mind and heart. If you think shooting a deer with a 1000 dollar high powered scope on a deer farm 150 yards away is ethical, that doesn't bother me one bit. I will hunt the way I like and prefer and could care less what the guy next to me does as long as he isn't judging me.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:54 am

So if I use this machine, I still have to scout, find deer, plan a setup, make a clean approach, withstand the heat/rain/wind/cold/snow for the duration of my sit, not spook game by moving or making noise, and then IF a buck actually comes through, still hold it together and make the shot? Seems the only thing it changes is I can eat a poptart and have a cup of coffee while I wait without having to think about the smell. I'm not advocating the use of this thing because I think it's a gimmick, and I highly doubt it accomplishes anything outside of a fully enclosed blind (and even that's a big maybe). But the fair chase arguments seem overblown. I remember similar conversations when Nose Jammer came out. Does anyone believe now that it significantly impacted the way we hunt, or that it took away the element of fair chase? Isn't this Ozonics thing basically a supposedly more effective cover scent? Use this and the deer won't smell you, and hopefully they won't freak out when they smell the ozone you're pumping out?

I wouldn't use it, but the biggest reason for that aside from my doubts about its effectiveness is the price tag - $400 for an invisible fog machine? Not for me.
antlercrazed

Unread postby antlercrazed » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:57 am

Primetime41 wrote:Both agree and disagree. I wholeheartedly agree that we should not be bashing hunters who use tools that are currently legal. But a line has to be drawn somewhere in determining what should and should not be legal, and having discussions about those things helps us all form our opinions.

I can understand drawing a line in the sand if something was so magical it made a hunter 100 percent successful like shooting deer at night.But I don't think ozonics is a magical device no different than a tree stand 25ft high
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:10 am

I like how magic summed it up. I won’t slam someone for using one it is legal. I also don’t believe it works and putting faith into it I’m sure is saving lots of lives just like scentlok and many other gimmicks have. I don’t care what others do or use I guess I’m just wondering what satisfaction there would be if you could render a deers nose useless when in your wheelhouse. On videos I’ve seen on tv they allvsay the same thing “ I would have never gotten away with that without ozonics” I disagree and they aren’t giving themselves credit instead thinking a gimmick is the reason but if it did work then i agree with their statement they couldn’t have killed it without it ...
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:27 am

street28ss wrote:Should Ozonics units be illegal in hunting? For the sake of discussion, let's all assume they work like advertised. I'll hang up and listen.

1. No because "Freedom"

2. If someone is putting all of there time into hauling one of those around and setting it up, I really don't feel threaten by there success, nor do I really think they have a huge advantage.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:41 am

There is an argument to be made that ozone is very harmful to living creatures and biological specimens of all variety. Ever hear of an "Ozone Action Day" from your local weather forecast?

Imagine a million hunters pumping an uncountable number of o3 into the atmosphere on a daily basis. If you could concentrate that quantity of ozone and localize it to a specific area you could probably do some serious environmental harm.

That being said... ozone won't work on stand. Practically there is no way to isolate the scent stream from a human with the ozone stream create by a generator. The output of the ozone generator would have to be so significant to envelope and destroy all outbound scent from a human that it would likely kill that person long before they killed an animal.

So should it be illegal? No. It shouldn't, but people should be educated about the gear they're using.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:01 am

I say yes, if it did work I don't view it as fair chase.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:18 am

I believe we are in a time where we should just be happy that fellow hunters are still getting out there, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying hunting and buying a license each year. If that makes someone think that it'll help them and it gives them confidence (although a false sense perhaps??) who are we to judge?

Forget what your own opinion is and isn't of fair chase. The "definition of fair chase" can be found in each of our state's rule books. If we want to go beyone those rules then by all means go ahead. But we shouldn't say someone else can use something if it's legal.

Just do what makes YOU happy. Go have fun.

I gotta say something else too... I was talking to my wife about buying a wireless trail cam to put directly over this worn out bed I found. Told her when I get a picture of him I can go in and sneak up on him and kill him. She goes, "Really? Well how is that fair?" "that is cheating". I stopped and thought for a second and I thought you know what she's right. As hard as it would still be to kill that deer in that matter, I know in my heart that 5 seconds after the kill I would start to not feel as proud as if I had just done my scouting like I normally would and killed him during a normal sit. It would take something away from the hunt. To me, it's always been about the chess match and the hard that makes hunting a great thrill, not the kill.

To date I still haven't bought a wireless camera but I wouldn't ever judge someone else for using it in that manner.

That's my 2 cents! ;)
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 am

Thats up to each state's conservation dept. Everyone's rules are different and there are different rules for public land vs private. My state doesnt allow electronic calls or electronics on your bow. Sticking with that same trend no I dont think strapping an electronic device to your tree and manipulating the air is fair chase. Iv heard similar arguments about cell cams. Doesnt matter to me bc im just worried about myself...

I assume ozonics is ok to use and still make a record book? Idk the answer, im asking
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 am

I don't have an ozonics. I have no interest in owning one. I don't care who uses what to hunt with. I'm more concerned about the MDC's mismanagement of our deer herd than anything else, hunting related at this time. I will continue to concentrate on my own activities and leave others to their own devices.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 am

We have a say in determining what is fair chase, and by extension what is legal. Although our game agencies sometimes act like kings, in reality they are appointed citizens who democratically represent their stakeholders. It's policing our own ranks for the good of the lifestyle we love.

If you don't want to worry about it and go about your business, that's fine; 99% of hunters never kick in their input. It always irks me on these threads though when people act like these issues are untouchable, like we should just accept that technology will forever creep forward and there is nothing we should ever do or say about it.

With respect to ozone, I don't feel too threatened, because I know the devices are hogwash. Don't even get me started on cell cams and long range shooting!!
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”