Hunting Georgia??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Austinjay1023

Hunting Georgia??

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks for the add!I’m new to the beast style hunting! I’m going to do it this year for the first time this year in Georgia. I usually hunt thick stuff already but The land I hunt is hardwoods, mature pines, short pines, thick creek bottoms, overgrown chop and hard wood hollers. I’m really trying to figure out how to put this type of hunting in play especially around the over grown chop cause the stuff is so thick you can’t walk thru besides sitting on the edge of it. Thanks any info is useful!!

FallowJaeger

Re: Hunting Georgia??

Unread postby FallowJaeger » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 am

Did you have any luck in 2018 during your deer season in Georgia? I’m new to this forum. I also will be hunting public land in Georgia this upcoming deer season.
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:53 am

Yes I did I ended up shooting my biggest deer so far far what part of Georgia you from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 am

Nice! That is an awesome buck! I hunt mostly in NW Georgia as I live in Woodstock. Where did you get that dandy from?
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:42 am

Big Lazer wma I hunt West Point wma a lot I only live 40 min from it I just live in the Alabama line on I20 we hunt south Ga wma a lot you should come try West Point out sometimes with me
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am

Austinjay1023 wrote:Big Lazer wma I hunt West Point wma a lot I only live 40 min from it I just live in the Alabama line on I20 we hunt south Ga wma a lot you should come try West Point out sometimes with me

Are these like quota style hunts or can you just show up and purchase your license and Hunt? I've been considering going up and doing some public land hunting in Georgia. I would be coming from Florida.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

The ones I hunt are sign in they have certain dates I really don’t like quota hunts Cause there is usually a lot of people there and they are gun hunts. I hunt the bow only sign ins tho
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks.....i all good with just bow hunting. Here if you dont hunt quotas.....you are overcrowded with people. We have quotas for bow, black powder, and gun

Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:26 pm

It’s nice when it’s sign in and bow only cause 90% of people gun hunt so you basically have the whole place to yourself maybe 5 other people tops!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:45 pm

Austinjay1023 wrote:It’s nice when it’s sign in and bow only cause 90% of people gun hunt so you basically have the whole place to yourself maybe 5 other people tops!

Wow I can't imagine that. I may have to come up and try it.

editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:49 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:
Austinjay1023 wrote:It’s nice when it’s sign in and bow only cause 90% of people gun hunt so you basically have the whole place to yourself maybe 5 other people tops!

Wow I can't imagine that. I may have to come up and try it.

What's up gents!

I am from Georgia and lived there my whole life until about 12 years ago, due to military.. Anyways, I currently live in Fayetteville, NC and a lot of the terrain resembles areas of Georgia. Last year I hunted fort Gordon like a maniac. Had a lot of good action. Managed to kill four deer, one of which was a nice one. I took a shot at my biggest buck ever and couldn't recover it :/. I plan on trying it out one weekend this year as I have a buddy that lives in Augusta.

I'd like to discuss scouting for beds with you guys since the terrain is similar.

Josh
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:55 am

Austinjay1023 wrote:Big Lazer wma I hunt West Point wma a lot I only live 40 min from it I just live in the Alabama line on I20 we hunt south Ga wma a lot you should come try West Point out sometimes with me

Ya, I know that South GA usually holds more and bigger bucks. I may try to make it down there sometime this season, as I am trying to branch out a bit. Is there camping allowed on the WMA?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 am

Be careful name dropping places, it’s a small world and there’s a lot of internet scouters out there.

I’m very familiar with the places you mentioned 8-)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Well where I killed that deer it’s a real big place so I ain’t really worried about haha But yes you can camp on wmas that what me and my buddy’s usually do on the weekend and to me I believe the deer are more bigger in South Georgia why idk cause the dirt down there is sandy it don’t make since lol and finding beds is pretty hard to me I found a few not a lot listen to dans last podcast with down south hunting it will help you in beds in the south
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:36 am

I hunt in S Central GA - the bucks rarely go over 120 inches, most are 110 or less. Tons of deer tho.

This is the kind of spot to find in logging areas:

Was hunting a 45-acre parcel and spotted a rub out of my stand, decided to check it out. Was a sumac bush on the edge of a cutting pile (pushed up logs and stuff). Deer bed had this log mound behind him, thermals flowing uphill and over/around the log pile, shade from bush, and view of the 2 access roads coming into the property. His escape route was along the log pile and into planted pines. I bumped a small buck out of there one time while hunting that property while leaving after a morning hunt, so it was a bedding spot. The trick would be getting into position with him watching the entrance roads - no additional access...

Never would have realized how the buck used the area if it wasn't for the beast. In response to my hunting the parcel, he adjusted and started bedding in an area of dog fennel 1/2 way up the slope. He could see the upper portion of the slope (brush hogged) and catch the thermals off the bottom and a road that ran 50 yards behind the bed. Found that one by bumping him one morning - big bed. Last time I hunted there we did a drive thru the dog fennels and found another bed but never saw him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”