Buck Exits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Buck Exits

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:24 am

Season is getting close and I have sooo many properties I know Im not going to get to put boots on the ground but I feel may have a good buck holed up in certain areas of aerials that look like good buck bedding habitat. I understand a deer will enter his bed with a nose wind approach to clear the area before entering. I have plans to hunt these properties with a stand on my back and do one and dones on each spot. I just have wait on the right wind. So my question is, from experience I've seen them exit both ways with no discernible pattern in flat cypress wetland. However the spots Ill be doing these hunts are ridge country with elevation changes of 60-100 ft elevation changes from bottom of draws to peaks. Im wanting to say they will have more tendency just to get up and stroll on down the point with a tail wind because they've been watching it all day and would feel comfortable with a tail wind for the distance (varies) that they could previously see before attempting to get nose wind again. Am I correct in my thinking.

Killemquietly

Re: Buck Exits

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 am

that would be my theory as well. I hunt a lot of Cypress Swamps too.
JRM KY

Re: Buck Exits

Unread postby JRM KY » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am

[quote="TN Whitetail Freak"]Season is getting close and I have sooo many properties I know Im not going to get to put boots on the ground but I feel may have a good buck holed up in certain areas of aerials that look like good buck bedding habitat. I understand a deer will enter his bed with a nose wind approach to clear the area before entering. I have plans to hunt these properties with a stand on my back and do one and dones on each spot. I just have wait on the right wind. So my question is, from experience I've seen them exit both ways with no discernible pattern in flat cypress wetland. However the spots Ill be doing these hunts are ridge country with elevation changes of 60-100 ft elevation changes from bottom of draws to peaks. Im wanting to say they will have more tendency just to get up and stroll on down the point with a tail wind because they've been watching it all day and would feel comfortable with a tail wind for the distance (varies) that they could previously see before attempting to get nose wind again. Am I correct in my thinking.[/quote]

This is correct and definitely worth a shot. Things to keep in mind though or at least in the hill country I hunt is they aren't seeing far in early season due to foliage this making it difficult to not alert them when getting that close in big timber. The food source is also a major factor here. If the bottom of that point is a wasteland then there not going that way. The exits I have seen early are towards food usually regardless of whether its low or high.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”