Verdicts in...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Re: Verdicts in...

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am

Wlog wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Emrah wrote:I spray my shoes, socks, pants, shirt, backpack, SELF! in permethrin every single time I step on a blade of grass that isn't my front yard. I am a tick (and mosquito) magnet. I take NO chances. I absolutely love the stuff.

Emrah

I thought you weren't supposed to spray is on your skin?

You don’t want it on your skin.

Do not! I repeat DO NOT put that stuff on your skin! that stuff is proven to cause Parkinson's. Its a full on neurotoxin. Pay attention what ticks do when they get on a treated surface. they straight stop in their tracks. It fries their nervous system.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 am

Wish there was a safer way to repel the ticks. Thermacell works for mosquitoes just need something for ticks. Not sure I’m buying into essential oils for bug repellent.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:03 am

Bigburner wrote:
Wlog wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Emrah wrote:I spray my shoes, socks, pants, shirt, backpack, SELF! in permethrin every single time I step on a blade of grass that isn't my front yard. I am a tick (and mosquito) magnet. I take NO chances. I absolutely love the stuff.

Emrah

I thought you weren't supposed to spray is on your skin?

You don’t want it on your skin.

Do not! I repeat DO NOT put that stuff on your skin! that stuff is proven to cause Parkinson's. Its a full on neurotoxin. Pay attention what ticks do when they get on a treated surface. they straight stop in their tracks. It fries their nervous system.

Also don’t inhale the mist when spraying your clothing. Due to this I much prefer wearing rubber gloves and dipping my clothes to treat them.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am

jmaas07 wrote:I buy the concentrate bottle and mix my own spray bottles, will save you some coin

I do the same.

I spray my outer layer and after it dries I run I think through the washer just to remove any excess.

I have been using it for a dozen years or so and haven't been bitten by a tick when wearing treated clothing.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:34 am

Wlog wrote:Thermacell works for mosquitoes just need something for ticks.

Well its kind of similar :? thermacell basically puts a pesticide in the air to keep the skeeter away so you are breathing that stuff in the entire time it was on. I don't really know how bad it is for you but I imagine the longer you are runing them the worse it could be. Here is the warning text I found, so kind of safe but I don't think they have done long term testing so use at your own risk. I think I will play it safe and let you guys test it out. 8-)

Toxicity of Thermacell Mosquito Repellent containing d-cis/trans allethrin: d-cis/trans allethrin is labeled Caution category III for mammalian exposure (slightly toxic to relatively non-toxic), non-toxic to birds, and highly toxic to fish and invertebrates. As with anything volatile, chronic exposure (continued exposure over long periods of time) may lead to adverse health effects but studies are lacking on long-term exposures to mosquito repellents of this kind. You may want to watch for allergic reactions and if you suffer from asthma, you may want to exercise caution when using any volatile. In general, my response is to always use things in moderation and mix up the measures I use to combat mosquitos. This means if I want to repel mosquitos on any given day I may sometimes use the Thermacell device or DEET or maybe try to wear long clothing or simply stay inside during the height of mosquito activity.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am

I wonder how many people who smoke, drink excessively, eat processed foods and generally live pretty unhealthy lives are afraid to use deet or permethrin because they are afraid of the health risks. :think: :lol:
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Probably the same guys that will run two ozone generators inside their ground blinds :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Bigburner wrote:Probably the same guys that will run two ozone generators inside their ground blinds :lol:

Yup :lol:

I will take the chance with Permethrin. After seeing what Lyme disease can do it’s a risk worth taking.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:09 pm

headgear wrote:
Wlog wrote:Thermacell works for mosquitoes just need something for ticks.

Well its kind of similar :? thermacell basically puts a pesticide in the air to keep the skeeter away so you are breathing that stuff in the entire time it was on. I don't really know how bad it is for you but I imagine the longer you are runing them the worse it could be. Here is the warning text I found, so kind of safe but I don't think they have done long term testing so use at your own risk. I think I will play it safe and let you guys test it out. 8-)

Toxicity of Thermacell Mosquito Repellent containing d-cis/trans allethrin: d-cis/trans allethrin is labeled Caution category III for mammalian exposure (slightly toxic to relatively non-toxic), non-toxic to birds, and highly toxic to fish and invertebrates. As with anything volatile, chronic exposure (continued exposure over long periods of time) may lead to adverse health effects but studies are lacking on long-term exposures to mosquito repellents of this kind. You may want to watch for allergic reactions and if you suffer from asthma, you may want to exercise caution when using any volatile. In general, my response is to always use things in moderation and mix up the measures I use to combat mosquitos. This means if I want to repel mosquitos on any given day I may sometimes use the Thermacell device or DEET or maybe try to wear long clothing or simply stay inside during the height of mosquito activity.

I’ve been working in chemical plants and water treatment plants for about 20 years so I’m screwed anyway. :lol:
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:08 am

Question for the guys who are dipping your clothes rather than spraying. How are you mixing it? How many parts permethrin to water?
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:24 am

Does it work against chiggers? I'm eat up with them right now :shock: and scratching like a stray dog.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:55 am

Wlog wrote:Question for the guys who are dipping your clothes rather than spraying. How are you mixing it? How many parts permethrin to water?

This is what I went by when mixing mine.

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”