Ridge system?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Ridge system?

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 am

I have a ridge system that runs for miles, it sets up perfect for a West/East wind. If it has fingers shooting out say a quarter mile long that would be good set up for a north wind are u setting up on these during rut periods or are u looking for larger ridges?

tim
500 Club

Re: Ridge system?

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:44 am

Those ravines are just as effective depending how they lay out maybe better
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:41 am

It definitely wouldn't hurt to check the fingers out. Alot of the set ups would be based on the sign you find of course too. There's a ridge on the farm I hunt that has a finger off of it. 75 yards down off that point is a bench that wraps around the finger and continues the length of the ridge. The furthest point of that finger is magic the first week of November. Again the finger is laid out perfectly for a west wind. Dont underestimate fingers off of ridges.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:52 am

Depends for me. Usually there's one finger better than all the others. In the spring I walk all of them all the way until they drop off into the bottoms and judge by the crossings which gets the most traffic. The main ridge is usually my go to as all traffic to any finger goes down it however the fingers give u xtra first time sits for possible diff winds.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 am

Small fingers off large ridges create points which are good bedding. Hunt the ones with the best bedding when the deer are using it. Small fingers are often overlooked, especially if they are very steep.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”