Fyi

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tim
500 Club

Re: Fyi

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am

I’m thinking I shoulda put that tactics in the 500 club. 2 weeks from now il see it on a tv hunting show. The all new antler wind chimes

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:02 am

I like to hang NyQuil scrape drippers to keep em dazed and confused while I slip in the back door. Unless the guy was talking about bucks bedded in a cornfield I would say he's a 100% USDA stamped grade A Knucklehead.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am

magicman54494 wrote:another trick that has worked well for me is to walk in backwards on the snow. When the deer sees my tracks he thinks I was heading out. Imagine their surprise when they walk right up to me! more than one booner has fallen to this tactic!

:lol: :clap: :lol: :lol:
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 am

The only tactic and equipment that you need is an Acorn Cruncher! You will have to find one on the secondary market because they sold out so fast Hunters Specialties can’t keep up with the demand. Just sit down wind of bedding and every 15-30 seconds hit the cruncher, it not only brings the bucks in, it also calms them down as they come in.

Also if you happen to be a model, blonde, with big you know what! The monster bucks just come in on a string, oh yeah don’t forget your makeup!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 am

this tactic was so successful for me that I stopped using it because it just didnt seem fair chase to me.

years ago in northern WI I would tie a cob of corn on my musky rod and cast it into a buck bedding area. I would let it sit and give it a twitch every so often. When I would get a bite I would reel in the cob with the big buck following right behind.

I tried trolling with the ATV but I think the engine noise scared the deer and I was not successful.

dont forget to use scent free gloves when handling the bait.

I tried dressing up in a human size corn cob costume but that is a story for another day.......
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am

magicman54494 wrote:this tactic was so successful for me that I stopped using it because it just didnt seem fair chase to me.

years ago in northern WI I would tie a cob of corn on my musky rod and cast it into a buck bedding area. I would let it sit and give it a twitch every so often. When I would get a bite I would reel in the cob with the big buck following right behind.

I tried trolling with the ATV but I think the engine noise scared the deer and I was not successful.

dont forget to use scent free gloves when handling the bait.

I tried dressing up in a human size corn cob costume but that is a story for another day.......

I've heard Bill Dance discuss similar corn Cobb tactics. Believe he even went as far as buttering the corn cause given the choice any buck would choose sweet corn. Also ladies and gents look into your local game and state laws its a good idea before deploying these deadliest catch tactics. Some states require a #4 barbless treble hook for fair chase purposes. Reguardless the key to success is a $5000 dollar rod with a new age Camo sensitive tip and proper scent control as magic pointed out. Without the kingsford gloves you are flat out waisting your time out there.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:19 am

I’m going to have my mom make me a buck costume so I can just waltz right into the bedroom and bed with these creatures then when they are least expecting it bam. Of course I will have to get an ozonics for inside to mask my human odor. On second thought il look into scent crusher since they are getting sued I can pry find some of there bags cheap and make the Deer outfit out of that. Should mask all scent 100%
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 am

Back when I would dip I always took a fat chew right before I climbed my stand. I'd pack the can take my dip n sprinkle a little on my bait piles. Soon all the deer became addicted. Once I had em hooked I'd just climb in the tree n thump the can and wait. Easy as pie.

I had to quit when the bucks started hiding in the shadows of the parking lot n would sneak up on me bumping my pocket for a dip.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 am

oldrank wrote:Back when I would dip I always took a fat chew right before I climbed my stand. I'd pack the can take my dip n sprinkle a little on my bait piles. Soon all the deer became addicted. Once I had em hooked I'd just climb in the tree n thump the can and wait. Easy as pie.

I had to quit when the bucks started hiding in the shadows of the parking lot n would sneak up on me bumping my pocket for a dip.

True story no BS.
A gal I went to school with rescued a fawn from a car killed doe. the fawn grew up on their farm and was just like a pet dog. Anyway, she said this deer was addicted to cigarettes. whenever anyone would put one out, the deer would run up and eat it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am

Here’s one of my go to tactics that I haven’t talked about. Most people hop around and hunt different spots where they’ve been watching concentrations of deer all fall.

Ever hear of the law of averages? If you’re going to hunt where the deer have been all season, chances are high that they’ll move to where they HAVEN’T BEEN YET. 8-) The chances of finding them in the same spots over and over are astronomically low, because statistically they have to disperse.

Don’t waste your time where they’ve already been. Stay a step ahead of them.

8-)
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Deer always go in wind. So hunt upwind side of your property that's where all deer will be.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:25 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
oldrank wrote:Back when I would dip I always took a fat chew right before I climbed my stand. I'd pack the can take my dip n sprinkle a little on my bait piles. Soon all the deer became addicted. Once I had em hooked I'd just climb in the tree n thump the can and wait. Easy as pie.

True story no BS.
A gal I went to school with rescued a fawn from a car killed doe. the fawn grew up on their farm and was just like a pet dog. Anyway, she said this deer was addicted to cigarettes. whenever anyone would put one out, the deer would run up and eat it.

I know this is off topic. I had a pet opossum when I was a kid that stole and ate several packs of cigarettes in the time he lived in the house. It was His nicotine habit that got him thrown out of the house.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Don’t forget your Acorn Cruncher!! :lol:
How bad do you want it?
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:18 pm

:lol: :clap:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

magicman54494 wrote:

True story no BS.

Also a true story. Last year went to get the kids and wife hunting liscences. Was talking too the instructor and he said he was a heavy baiter.
He told me he took his wife’s cigarette butts and his other family members too. He would use the left over tobacco as bait. And he told me it was like a magnet too deer. They love it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”