Why I can't shoot big bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Why I can't shoot big bucks

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:58 am

magicman54494 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Worth keeping in mind that attitude is important, and must be there, but attitude won't get you far without plenty of action to back it up. You can't think a big buck dead. ;)

I disagree. If you dont think him dead first you probably wont kill him. yes, action is required but I believe that things fall into place because of thought and thought can eliminate a lot of wasted action. one of the biggest concepts in the power of thought is believing and feeling it is already done.
How much do I believe in the power of thought? well, most people hope they get a big buck. I believe that nothing can stop it from happening.
I look back at my successes and failures and I can see a pattern of mental ups and downs that perfectly mimic those successes and failures.

I agree with Magic. I know I am going into this season to kill my biggest buck ever. I have it mentally all layed out. It has been on mine mind since I killed my last buck. I will fine tune from there and kill another bigger buck and than do it again. There are no doubts.. only anxiety to get me to opening day. There is a bigger buck in my woods.. I am going to kill him.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 am

oldrank wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Worth keeping in mind that attitude is important, and must be there, but attitude won't get you far without plenty of action to back it up. You can't think a big buck dead. ;)

I disagree. If you dont think him dead first you probably wont kill him. yes, action is required but I believe that things fall into place because of thought and thought can eliminate a lot of wasted action. one of the biggest concepts in the power of thought is believing and feeling it is already done.
How much do I believe in the power of thought? well, most people hope they get a big buck. I believe that nothing can stop it from happening.
I look back at my successes and failures and I can see a pattern of mental ups and downs that perfectly mimic those successes and failures.

I agree with Magic. I know I am going into this season to kill my biggest buck ever. I have it mentally all layed out. It has been on mine mind since I killed my last buck. I will fine tune from there and kill another bigger buck and than do it again. There are no doubts.. only anxiety to get me to opening day. There is a bigger buck in my woods.. I am going to kill him.

I agree with Joe on this. A lot of people believe, want, perceive, and hope for great things to happen. But without ACTION, none of it will be possible. I can want and believe to shoot a giant buck all I want. But that's not enough to get me off the couch and do it. I know Magic has studied that there is something supernatural behind things and I agree with him but just because I really believe in something, I must do my part with the attitude and action. I do also believe that Believing and Action go together. But there are too many folks out there that are good with words and not with action. Action speaks louder than words everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Words and beliefs are one thing but at the end of the day Actions make the most difference.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 am

I think what Joe is eluding to is you can't physically kill the buck with your mind (at least not yet :ugeek: :lol: ) one still has to put an arrow in them. However belief in yourself and your tactics along with a positive never give up attitude can take one a long way. I've had entire beast seasons where the "magic" happens and I can do no wrong and others where negativity sneaks in and nothing goes right, one just needs to curb that negativity because it does us no good in life.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
oldrank wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

I agree with Joe on this. A lot of people believe, want, perceive, and hope for great things to happen. But without ACTION, none of it will be possible. I can want and believe to shoot a giant buck all I want. But that's not enough to get me off the couch and do it. I know Magic has studied that there is something supernatural behind things and I agree with him but just because I really believe in something, I must do my part with the attitude and action. I do also believe that Believing and Action go together. But there are too many folks out there that are good with words and not with action. Action speaks louder than words everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Words and beliefs are one thing but at the end of the day Actions make the most difference.

I also agree that action is required. Biblically, James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. I dont believe that a big buck will run up to me and die at my feet. but...... ponder this, Andrea wanted to kill MONSTER bucks. These bucks somehow came into his life. I have spent 43 years chasing deer and have never laid eyes on a deer of that caliber. Why? Is Andrea lucky? Am I unlucky? The one thing that is provable fact is I got what I aimed for and so did Andrea. Even Dan admits the same thing.

This last season I was struggling with health issues. One of which was my eyes were just not focusing the best. I went tracking anyway knowing that in my condition it would be very tough to track one down. Opportunities are usually split second and I was not going to be fast. My thought process was "The deer is just going to have to stand there and give me time" I tracked my buck only a bit over 1/4 mile and it jumped out of its bed and ran 60 yds and turned around and took a few steps back and stood there. It was one of the few times I have ever had a lot of time to make the shot. I guess each person will believe what they want in explaining my hunt. I believe that it was as I thought it to be.

Hodag calls me last minute and asks if I want to fish a musky tourney. I agreed. He told me he was sure that we would catch a 40+ incher and would finish in the money. I entered the contest relaxed and focused on enjoying. I'm not much for competitions. I think there were 87? boats fishing in that tourney. Guess how we did. We CAUGHT 1 MUSKY 47" AND FINISHED IN SECOND. I later laughed and told Hodag that he should have told me that we would win.

I have seen enough to believe the power of thought. I stress this because I see it playing a much bigger role than I would have ever believed. If there is a force out there that wants to help me get big bucks then I want that force working for me.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:42 am

Link below to one of my favorite old movies...

What isn't in the clip is what Billy does AFTER this conversation with his grandpa. He puts in the work and ends up with two coonhounds. But the work is secondary to his belief he can get them. I know in the clip is shows his 'disbelief' but after thinking about what his grandpa says, he understands with clarity ...and BELIEVES!

https://youtu.be/GuLU5RkLTc4
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
oldrank wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

I absolutely agree with JoeRE. If you dont take action (which to me shows how much you BELIEVE your thought) then I dont care how much you think you will its probably not going to happen.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcO_AH5aW4

Check out this movie "little boy"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:04 am

magicman54494 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcO_AH5aW4

You convinced me.

This season I'm gonna believe a buck is dead and he will fall right at the tailgate of my truck. :lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 am

Dewey wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcO_AH5aW4

You convinced me.

This season I'm gonna believe a buck is dead and he will fall right at the tailgate of my truck. :lol:

dont tell everyone or Dan wont be able to sell anymore DVD's
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 am

Great stuff. The positive attitude feeds the desire and drive to put the work in, and success is the result. It is all related. The guys saying think it and it will happen are right, and the guys saying you still need to do the work are right. I think subconsiously you won't do the work if you have not mentally committed to success, and if you have not done the work, it's hard to truly commit mentally. Some of that is fear, some may be building in excuses knowing you don't intend to do what it takes.

I do agree with those that say positivity makes everything easier. My wife can get in some negative funks sometimes. She focuses on the negative stuff, and unsurprisingly finds it, which then can snowball a little if she doesn't retrack it. If you look for bad, you will always find it. If you look for good, same deal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 am

Kraftd wrote:Great stuff. The positive attitude feeds the desire and drive to put the work in, and success is the result. It is all related. The guys saying think it and it will happen are right, and the guys saying you still need to do the work are right. I think subconsiously you won't do the work if you have not mentally committed to success, and if you have not done the work, it's hard to truly commit mentally. Some of that is fear, some may be building in excuses knowing you don't intend to do what it takes.

I do agree with those that say positivity makes everything easier. My wife can get in some negative funks sometimes. She focuses on the negative stuff, and unsurprisingly finds it, which then can snowball a little if she doesn't retrack it. If you look for bad, you will always find it. If you look for good, same deal.

Good post..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:59 am

Kraftd wrote:Great stuff. The positive attitude feeds the desire and drive to put the work in, and success is the result. It is all related. The guys saying think it and it will happen are right, and the guys saying you still need to do the work are right. I think subconsiously you won't do the work if you have not mentally committed to success, and if you have not done the work, it's hard to truly commit mentally. Some of that is fear, some may be building in excuses knowing you don't intend to do what it takes.

Completely agree.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:52 am

magicman54494 wrote:
moog5050 wrote:No doubt that confidence is important and that applies to every goal we set. But so too is realism. Using an example from my former passion of powerlifting, If my best squat in training is 800, going to a meet and opening at 900 is not realistic no matter how confident I am. I might have all the confidence that one could have that I will kill the next world record, but it is very unlikely if I only hunt the small properties I have here in NY. With that said, confidence that I can kill a nice mature buck here in NY is both important and realistic. Otherwise, if I want to kill the world record, I better start looking for opportunities and do what it takes that will make that goal realistic. Not downplaying the importance of not limiting oneself. Just pointing out that goals should be realistic or things can turn sour.

I know what you are saying. I think a big part of it is our self imposed limits. In your head, you are not ready to squat 900. I think your mind has to squat 900 before your body will.
there is an interesting method to test your beliefs by testing arm strength. You will have more arm strength when you make a statement that you believe is true. Your arm will be weaker when you make a false statement.
This proves that there is a connection between belief (faith) and physical.
there was s time when running a 4 minute mile was thought to be impossible. as soon as one guy did it many others soon followed. once people believed it was possible, it happened.
is there a limit to this? I dont know but knowing what I do know, it would be foolish to believe there is a limit.

Agree with magic completely. Stumbled across David Goggins’ story on the JRE podcast a few months ago. That guy is pretty vulgar, but if you get past that it’s a great example of overcoming mental limits and hitting your goals. In short, obese>Navy Seal>ultra endurance athlete- found out after all of it he’s had a dime or quarter size hole in his heart the whole time.

I don’t think back on my easy accomplishments often. Always looking ahead at the next step towards a goal. Learned a long time ago to write down or take a picture of the small victories as motivation for when it gets tough to rebuild that momentum/confidence. Ironically that’s usually when you break through the barrier. Has 100% applied to fishing and hunting.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 am

I just stumbled upon this article with Andrae. Thought it was appropriate for this discussion.

https://www.realtree.com/all/articles/q ... rd-breaker
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:10 am

I believe a lil bit in to self imposed limits. When I was in highschool our strength coach talked about it. We even did our max out on the bench press blindfolded so our mind didn't know what we were lifting. Did it work? Well kinda I guess usually within 5lbs of your reg max.

I believe positive thinking is the result of the work you put in. Don't think it works if you just sit around thinking positive. If so I would expect a lot more mega million winners.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”