Am I missing something

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Am I missing something

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Felt rough today and spent the majority of the day on the couch tuned into the hunting channels. When exactly did folks forget to learn how to shoot? Not trying to sound high and mighty and am no sharp shooter but Jesus Christ! Seen one guy miss one and wounded 2 all in one episode. But don't worry we got the bucks on tape a week later doing fine, ya right.

Seen a lady with a Xbow shoot a buck square in the A** then look in the camera and say how great this equipment shoots.

Seen spine shots followed up with high fives and fist pumps while a helpless buck lays on the ground.

Seen a horrific gut shot that was said to hit liver then in the "commercial portion" it's got a hole in the shoulder. When exactly did bleached hair and a boob job become a requirement for a hunting show?

I've made my share of poor shots and bad judgement calls and seen many of the killers here who video do the same. But in all the peoples vids there was a cringe and a legit look of concern for the animal. Not these clowns!

Seen a guy carry both a bow and gun to the stand. Exactly what is the point here?

All this just makes me scratch my head and ask myself exactly what am I missing here?

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Emrah

Re: Am I missing something

Unread postby Emrah » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm

It's an absolute joke. Especially when they show a recovered deer but it's clearly late in the afternoon the NEXT day. Or my favorite is when they shoot an animal with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out. Yep. You keep shooting those 380 grain arrows with a 2.3" cut mechanical out of your untuned bow your sponsor had drop-shipped to your $5000 per hunt outfitter...

The one that truly makes me sick is when they "recover" a deer a week later and they say, "well, at least we recovered him...". Um... excuse me? You recovered a head. As far as I'm concerned you didn't recover a damn thing. You failed.

Emrah
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Hunting shoes are pretty lame. Just commercialized nonsense
Make It Happen
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a real issue with these guys and gals trying to make me believe they know what they’re doing. I wonder when the last time some of these guys or gals hung their own stand? Ok it’s just a big commercial but this is why I can’t watch that mess.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:14 pm

My grandpa has taken an interest in the outdoors channel. He had a show on one day while I was there, :roll:
Give me some Hunting Beast, and the Hunting Public, even Flinginaros or DIY Sportsman, any day. That's some real hunting.
I'm so glad i got rid of cable.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 pm

I have not been able to take hunting shows seriously in years.
I will say I have a lot more respect for the drurys than I did after listening to a couple podcasts they were on.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

haven't watched one in 4 years
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:16 am

This is a big reason i found this forum
The bleached blonde with breasts poping out is all to keep the perverts watching. I know exactly who she is too. Its a tv ploy to get ratings. She knows about as much about Deer hunting as i do about space travel.

This bullcrap pushed in our face is also why i went too see Dan. I wanted Too tweak and fine tune my tactics

TV hunting shows are really dying out. They are big egos and money sponsorship junkies. The average joe is really looking too social media for information.

There is quite a few guys on here putting really good content out on you tube and i hope they keep it up
The only thing with you tube that has too do with Deer hunting is so many gadgets and shortcuts for everything
There is no shortcuts with anything. Hard work and patience always trumps every shortcut ever thought of.
There is no shortcuts ever
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 am

I would agree the best thing to do is not watch them. I don't watch much tv but dang it if I do I'm usually drawn to something hunting or fishing. I just don't get why they couldn't use some of there shinanagins as teaching moments. I mean after u drill one right in the spine, u can't inform folks that sometimes bad shots happen and in this case u need to get another arrow in the vitals as quick as possible instead of all the fist pumping.

I agree whole heartedly with Emrah on those knuckleheads and there poor penetration. It's every single one almost.

My favs are when they are trying to sell a scent product lol. This buck came in straight down wind but u can easily see the wind in the hunters face lol what a joke.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 am

I used to watch it like clock work and knew every show and what time they came on and that's been about 10 years ago. I knew then that it was all for show and there was very little if anything that all I could take away from it. Recently my young son has really gained interest in hunting and he is only 4. So we have watched it some and boy what a joke. One episode the other day had like 5 mature bucks in a small foodplot at same time. I'm thinking people who are just starting are really gonna be disappointed when they hit the public grounds. The straw that broke the camel's back though was when a nice mature 10 point came by and my son said " daddy why he ain't shooting for." I definitely dont wanna teach him to wait for a 160" deer at this point. Geese!!!!!! I'd much rather show him Dan and some of the others so he could see a little reality.
Rancher43

Unread postby Rancher43 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:41 am

Yep the TV shows are pretty bad. I do watch some of them but I watch them knowing I won’t learn a thing and that every show is pushing a certain product. I rather watch the hunting/fishing channel than any other crud that’s on TV. With that being said, I’ll be watching THP episode 5 of their mapping series tonight on YouTube!
Rancher43

Unread postby Rancher43 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 am

Yep the TV shows are pretty bad. I do watch some of them but I watch them knowing I won’t learn a thing and that every show is pushing a certain product. I rather watch the hunting/fishing channel than any other crud that’s on TV. With that being said, I’ll be watching THP episode 5 of their mapping series tonight on YouTube!
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 am

I watched a movie of a well known hunter completing the Super Slam. Some of the shots were absolutely horrible. He would do the fist pump and yell "what a shot!"
I was thinking " Really!? You just hit that ram in the d@$!"

I was really surprised that such a high profile guy showed some of this footage. Bad hits, shooting super long range. As long as he got an arrow in it somewhere he was happy.

It was really hard to stomach. I lost a ton of respect for him and really haven't watched a hunting show or movie since.

I think Ill get all my hunting entertainment from The Beast from now on.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm

They still make those?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”