Overlooked? Interstate medians

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Overlooked? Interstate medians

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Just a thought as I was contemplating overlooked spots. I don't know if this is the case in all states but where I live there are Interstate medians that are sometimes wide (hundreds of yards) and deep (you can't nearly see the bottom from the road). I am secretive about where I hunt so getting in would be probably under the cover of darkness or through culvert pipes. I imagine there could be some bruisers that never see pressure. Of course, maybe more people hunt there than I think. And maybe the deer are too confined and would just get hit on the road going back and forth. Many median strips in our state have streams flowing through them, various terrain and ecosystems and plenty of food even if there are no ag lands.
Anyone have any thoughts? How crazy am I?

Bowmet

Re: Overlooked? Interstate medians

Unread postby Bowmet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Not crazy at all, worth a shot in my opinion. I’ve found a spot where deer use a large culvert to cross a 4 lane highway. It’s the path of least resistance in that scenario. Nonetheless, you’ll never know without trying.
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Thought of this as well and see plenty of deer in them. Just be careful as to regulations in your state. Probably considered within the right of way of the interstate/highway.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Nothing seems crazy to me. Although I've never seen a median that wide which offers both security and escape. One thing to keep in mind is safety, shooting a buck and having him dart infront of traffic and wipe out a family of 5 might take away from your satisfaction of a hunt. Just saying... There's been a time or to I've had a buck pegged but just had to eat it and walk away for safety reasons in the end horns on the wall and bragging rights aren't worth putting someone in a honest threat of danger.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I drive interstate 79 four hours a day for work and have seen deer bedded in medians before and wondered the same thing but they are not wide enough in the area I travel but driving through KY I’ve seen some pretty wide ones.
Aim small miss small
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Yeah deer use them to bed on, so go for it!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:24 pm

And that is a great way, especially with bow, to bust a buck right into oncoming traffic. I get it that some interstates have large parcels between them but I would not take the risk of being sued because I shot a deer on interstate property that then ran in front of a car and killed someone. There are plenty of other spots/deer to pursue.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 am

Pretty sure this isn't the first time we have discussed them so not crazy at all.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 am

headgear wrote:Pretty sure this isn't the first time we have discussed them so not crazy at all.

Lol. I was thinking about the medians yesterday, and
Then thought about last year's beast/median thread where some guys thought it was a great idea and some thought it was dangerous to drivers......
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:41 am

Well, I guess I didn't realize the topic had been discussed and caused controversy. My goal was not to create a lightning rod topic. The places I am thinking of are over 300 yards (actual Google Earth measurement) from road to road and have deep ravines. The places I am thinking of I would imagine would have next to no chance of a deer being shot and running into traffic...no more than a back country road (and probably less) as the land forms a sort of bowl. I appreciate the honest comments.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 am

I drive all over NY/PA for work and always think about this to myself...guess I'm not crazy trying to figure out a way to hunt it if it was possible.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 am

I would definitely do it if I determined it to be legal and safe! I don't think it would be legal in my state though
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:55 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:56 am

I couldnt help myself...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:01 am

A lot of states have already made shooting from any public road against the law. Most of these laws will include the median between highway/interstate lanes as shooting from a public road. In most states you cannot even shoot from the public road right-a-way. Check your laws. And in CIVIL LAW court (far different from criminal law court), you would have a hard time proving you are not liable if you caused the animal to dart in front of a car that injured someone (remember even McDonalds was liable for some idiot putting coffee between their legs). Just something to keep in mind; for me, no deer is worth risking you and your family's financial stability for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”