Overlooked? Interstate medians

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SD_Bowhunter

Re: Overlooked? Interstate medians

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:41 am

I remember reading a story in a hunting magazine awhile back about this huge buck that was a local legend in this town. People saw him and night but no one ever knew where he was living. Apparently the author eventually put two and two together on where people were always seeing this buck crossing the road and it turns out he was living in a small strip of trees in the median between the highway. I would love to find the exact article to get all the details. For some reason I thought it was in North American Whitetail.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 am

Think about it all the time. I always wonder about the giant round-a-bouts getting off exits more than the median though. Some of the round-a-bouts near me are pretty massive, and they have cattails and large transition lines, usually multiple types of vegetation. They just look to good not to be holding deer.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:09 am

DaveT1963 wrote:A lot of states have already made shooting from any public road against the law. Most of these laws will include the median between highway/interstate lanes as shooting from a public road. In most states you cannot even shoot from the public road right-a-way. Check your laws. And in CIVIL LAW court (far different from criminal law court), you would have a hard time proving you are not liable if you caused the animal to dart in front of a car that injured someone (remember even McDonalds was liable for some idiot putting coffee between their legs). Just something to keep in mind; for me, no deer is worth risking you and your family's financial stability for.

I agree with all of what you said except using the McDonalds example. That coffee was about 190F. The lady didn't want to sue, but her insurance wouldn't cover all the medical bills. She was all but maimed by the coffee. The suit got McD to change the temperature of their coffee machines to a safe level.

But, yes, you shoot a deer in an area where it isn't legal to shoot and cause an accident, you'll be liable. In Nebraska, it's illegal to shoot from inside the right of way. You'll want to check your own state as they vary.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:27 am

I once had permission to hunt a property that adjoined the interstate. The constant traffic compromised my sense of hearing. I never felt comfortable hunting the place, due to not being able to hear anything. I felt like I was always squirming around, trying to see. I prefer to be able to use all of my available senses. Although its no kinda mountain for a climber, It just wasn't for me.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 am

Would be impossible here in MA because of setback requirements from any road (150 ft). So 150 feet from the hgwy heading in one direction and then 150 from the other means the median would have to be over a football field wide just for you to be legal in the dead center. We don't have highways like that around here. Even assuming we did I would also worry about liability in a civil case. It could be considered grossly negligent even if technically legal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am

DaveT1963 wrote:A lot of states have already made shooting from any public road against the law. Most of these laws will include the median between highway/interstate lanes as shooting from a public road. In most states you cannot even shoot from the public road right-a-way. Check your laws. And in CIVIL LAW court (far different from criminal law court), you would have a hard time proving you are not liable if you caused the animal to dart in front of a car that injured someone (remember even McDonalds was liable for some idiot putting coffee between their legs). Just something to keep in mind; for me, no deer is worth risking you and your family's financial stability for.

I agree with Dave on this one. Sure big bucks might live there but the risk is pretty high. I drive the interstate every day and would hate to see the result of a deer being pushed into traffic driving 80 mph.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:19 am

Its 200 ft from any public rd or right of way in ky. I think.
I have to agree with dave and dewey on this one i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i knew i shot a buck and it ran out in front of a mini van and killed some kids. :naughty: I think i might quit hunting if that happened! :hand:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 am

Many years ago, I guy I know was hunting private property close to the interstate. He knew of a real nice buck in the area, got a shot on him with his bow. The spine stopped the penetration of the arrow as the buck went into high gear towards the interstate. Shortly thereafter, he heard tires squealing. :o

A lady in the first car hit and spun the buck around into the path of a pick up following her, who hit it as well. In Iowa, you can claim deer you hit on the road, the lady didn't want it, but the driver of the pick up did. The driver of the pick up was a friend of the bow hunter. I saw both of them when they took the buck to the Iowa Whitetail Classic, rough scored at 186" B&C.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 am

Against the law in NH.

Good place to find dead heads though...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I agree safety first. Wish I could have thought of that :roll:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”