Should I stay or should I go

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

W_ky_archer

Should I stay or should I go

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum here and looking for a little advice. This topic may have been covered before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here. So back in the spring while scouting I was lucky enough to find several buck beds but I came across one that has consumed me. I found both sheds to a very nice buck laying in his bed and a big gnarly wallered out area that I believe to be his main bed. I did locate a few of his satellite beds as well and he is bedding about 600yds from a private bean field that through scouting have seen him using in the evenings. My question is this... In past years of scouting I have seen several mature bucks come out to the beans around 7-8 am and feed for 30-45 minutes before heading off to bed instead of them making their way to bed right at daybreak. I know where this deer is bedding and I know where he is eating but since the early September patterns of mature bucks can sometimes be inconsistent, do I go in and hunt his bed as soon as I have the right wind and sit until 10 or 11 am? Or, do I stay away until late September / early October when the beans dry up and they seem back off the crop fields and hold to their bedding patterns a little more consistently? Sorry for the lengthy post, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:40 pm

I wouldn't hunt it in the am in early season. I think once september comes that buck is going to be bedded there before daylight or be right there in the vacinity when you get there. I would try to catch him in the evening leaving the bed.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 pm

dan wrote:I wouldn't hunt it in the am in early season. I think once september comes that buck is going to be bedded there before daylight or be right there in the vacinity when you get there. I would try to catch him in the evening leaving the bed.

I think I would listen to dan
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
dan wrote:I wouldn't hunt it in the am in early season. I think once september comes that buck is going to be bedded there before daylight or be right there in the vacinity when you get there. I would try to catch him in the evening leaving the bed.

I think I would listen to dan

Same here, u got the opinion that knows!!

I may throw some hunts near the beans in the early season as well if you are seeing any pattern there
Make It Happen
W_ky_archer

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:22 pm

The biggest piece of information any Hunter can hope for is the current location of a target buck! If u got that u can form a real plan. Without that I find myself doing a lot of wishful thinking. Go with your gut and give it your best shot!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”