Perspective on Problems

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Perspective on Problems

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:36 am

RR7 recently made a great post to your greatest problems as a deer hunter. As we reflect on our weaknesses and strategize about how to overcome them it reminded me of a great quote I heard recently. I believe this is largely true. I cannot remember where I heard it from. Here it is:

Our problems tend to grow or shrink to become as easy or as difficult as we tell ourselves they are going to be.

I know this tends to be true in my childrens' lives. If they moan and complain about cleaning their room, then it takes them ten times longer and they're more miserable when they do it. And their crabby afterwards on top of it all.

Unfortunately, after 40 years of maturing, I can still identify the same pattern in myself.

So here is what I tend to do now. I identify the problem. Then I identify why I think this problem is overwhelming me. Then I identify everything that's easy about the problem. Maybe it's just one thing that's easy. Maybe it's easy to figure out but it's going to take years to overcome.

I use the easy part of the problem to help keep myself motivated during the grind of the difficult part of the problem. I tell myself "yeah it's going to take some years, but it was a really easy to figure this out. So easy anybody could do it. I can do the consistent hard work over time, but at least I didn't have to figure the problem out too. Other guys figured it out, and they're helping me figure it out too."

So, to apply this concept:

My weakness is a hunter right now is that I get too excited I just flub the shot. The problem is I can't control my excitement and adrenaline. It seems like such a difficult problem to me because I sit there for hours never can know when the adrenaline is going to hit, when the moment of truth will happen and how I'm going to react. I seem so unpredictable. What is easy about this problem though is that it's not tough to figure out, and many other people have gone through the same problem. It's easy to find strategies to overcome this problem online. One strategy that people can use to control their adrenaline is through combat breathing, which is easy to do. It is easy to learn. I can identify stressful situations in everyday life and practice my combat breathing everyday to control my emotions. Once I get in control of myself, everything else is going to be easy.

So after I verbalize that, then my problems seems much more small and manageable, and I have more confidence to overcome it. I can do the steps necessary to overcome this problem without being overwhelmed. And your mind focus on what is easy while you grind out the difficult parts of the problem.

In my mind, attitude is everything.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Lockdown

Re: Perspective on Problems

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 am

Great post. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. We can either let our problems consume us, or do our best to figure them out with a smile on our face.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:40 am

problems are actually an opportunity for growth. believe it or not we bring them on because we want growth. we will continue to experience the "problem" until we grow.
think of it this way: You want peace. you will receive all sorts of turmoil until you discover that peace is within and not without. once you learn this lesson turmoil will no longer be necessary.
They say , be careful what you wish for!

When you experience a " problem" in the future, ask yourself what growth opportunity is being offered.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 am

magicman54494 wrote:
When you experience a " problem" in the future, ask yourself what growth opportunity is being offered.

Reminds me of a quote:

“A negative thinker sees difficulty in every opportunity. A positive thinker sees opportunity in every difficulty.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:50 am

Great quotes guys, very much agree with them. I am eternally positive, maybe to a fault :lol: and my wife is too much into the negative, wow do we see the world in drastically different ways.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 am

Motivated.... I used to deal with extreme adrenaline to the point I would get dizzy almost like an anxiety attack I think. I would put so much pressure on myself to succeed that it worried me.. I’ve realized for myself it was because I was thinking what if I miss instead staying positive. If I miss now I shrug it off and smile cause it’s just a Deer . It’s not that serious and now it’s not about what if I miss , so much more relaxed. Again it’s another progression in the life of a hunter it seems.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:09 am

When I was younger and starting out in hunting, I would often lose access to private properties. It was frustrating because just when it seemed I was figuring out the property I would have to start over.
What seemed like a lot of bad luck actually forced me to learn how to hunt. Sometimes things that seem bad are actually the exact thing we need.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”