Woodsmanship...Is that the right word?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Woodsmanship...Is that the right word?

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 am

I hear the term woodsmanship thrown around a lot these days related to being able to read deer sign and kill mature bucks or deer, usually without cameras. To me woodsmanship is much more than just being able to read deer sign and kill deer. It is knowing how to navigate in woods, knowing id and natural history of plants and animals and their uses and how to harvest them, knowing how to read the weather in the woods, what different animals eat/where they bed or den/how they survive in the woods, how different species affect one another, how to survive in the woods for at least short periods of time, etc, etc. To me, scouting and killing deer or mature bucks is part of woodsmanship, but that in itself is not woodsmanship. It doesn't bother me greatly to hear the word used for deer hunting, but am just curious what others think. So, what say you?

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Woodsmanship...Is that the right word?

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:10 am

brancher147 wrote:I hear the term woodsmanship thrown around a lot these days related to being able to read deer sign and kill mature bucks or deer, usually without cameras. To me woodsmanship is much more than just being able to read deer sign and kill deer. It is knowing how to navigate in woods, knowing id and natural history of plants and animals and their uses and how to harvest them, knowing how to read the weather in the woods, what different animals eat/where they bed or den/how they survive in the woods, how different species affect one another, how to survive in the woods for at least short periods of time, etc, etc. To me, scouting and killing deer or mature bucks is part of woodsmanship, but that in itself is not woodsmanship. It doesn't bother me greatly to hear the word used for deer hunting, but am just curious what others think. So, what say you?

My definition of woodsmanship is the same as yours. When I talk about woodsmanship I am referring to the same things you reffered too... Want to be a great hunter? 1st, you need to be a great woodsman. It goes beyond hunting deer. In refferance to the DVD cover "bringing back the lost art of woodsmanship" You have to understand thermals, wind, navigation, animal behavior, terrain, etc... That takes woodsmanship. ;)
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 am

I would agree with your defenition.

The one thing I think is also valuable is bridging technology with woodsmanship. If you have both skills you are far more efficient than those with one alone.

A lot of guys like to knock guys that use a gps or phone but the reality is it's way faster if you can do both. On the flip guys that rely on the technology without the natural skill will be in a bind if it fails and will never be maxing out thier efficiency.

They are all tools, the more you are good at the better you will be. And like most things the majority aren't proficient in multiple facets
Make It Happen
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:01 am

brancher147 wrote:I hear the term woodsmanship thrown around a lot these days related to being able to read deer sign and kill mature bucks or deer, usually without cameras. To me woodsmanship is much more than just being able to read deer sign and kill deer. It is knowing how to navigate in woods, knowing id and natural history of plants and animals and their uses and how to harvest them, knowing how to read the weather in the woods, what different animals eat/where they bed or den/how they survive in the woods, how different species affect one another, how to survive in the woods for at least short periods of time, etc, etc. To me, scouting and killing deer or mature bucks is part of woodsmanship, but that in itself is not woodsmanship. It doesn't bother me greatly to hear the word used for deer hunting, but am just curious what others think. So, what say you?

X2 I thought the word was being thrown around a little loosely lately (crazy alliteration :lol:). Thanks for putting the term into definition.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:51 am

Just like the saying in turkey hunting " The best turkey hunters tend to be the best "crawlers" and not always "callers". You know where and when the turkeys will be. You use the wind, weather , time of day and season , terrain features all to your advantage. Same for setting up close to bedded deer, stalking or predicting their movements.
Woodsmanship to me is your experienceyou've gained with the land and the animals you hunt. Only gets better with time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 am

This whole post kind of puzzles me... Cause really, bringing back the lost art of woodsmanship is what im promoting. People now-a-days watch tv and think they are hunting or part of nature cause they put out food plots and sit over them whan really they don't know squat about woodsmanship if thats how they hunt. There deer farmers, not "true" hunters and woodsmen... We are teaching how to read the land, use compasses, read topo's, to understand plants and trees, we put forums up about how to live off the land, we discuss navigation, understanding browse, understanding and reading tracks, and sign... How is that not becoming a better woodsman???
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:43 am

Many years back we were walking some new land and one of the guys had a new gps with him, they were brand new at the time. So as we were walking he would say camp is that way and I would say well it looks like your gps is working. After a while he started asking me before giving us the reading, I was within a few degrees every time, I call it the gps challenge. :lol: Not a bad way to test yourself when you don't want to bring the extra gear along. That isn't to say I don't pull out my phone from time to time when I cam scouting but most of the time I just know where I am in my mind and that is good enough for me.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:49 am

I agree

Woodsmanship is the "art" that I believe is dying among the newest of hunters. There are many resources for how to kill an animal these days. Not so many teaching or promoting actual learning of woodsmanship.

I remember hearing on one of Dan's podcast he mentioned something along those lines as well. When he said that I immediately was shaking my head yes!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:56 am

dan wrote:This whole post kind of puzzles me... Cause really, bringing back the lost art of woodsmanship is what im promoting. People now-a-days watch tv and think they are hunting or part of nature cause they put out food plots and sit over them whan really they don't know squat about woodsmanship if thats how they hunt. There deer farmers, not "true" hunters and woodsmen... We are teaching how to read the land, use compasses, read topo's, to understand plants and trees, we put forums up about how to live off the land, we discuss navigation, understanding browse, understanding and reading tracks, and sign... How is that not becoming a better woodsman???

I didnt initially take it to be questioning that and thought it was more around overall woodsmanship skills vs killing deer from a box stand or something. But now that you point that out it does come across in that way so not sure how what the original intent was. I surely think they are one in the same on the level used here. Can't see how it would be thought of otherwise
Make It Happen
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:40 am

As of late I am sure one that has named woodsmanship in relation to killing deer. New hunters are so focused up on all these deer attractants they have totally forgot the skills that come with that term. I wouldn't trade all the trail cam pictures in the world for what I have learned or been taught about the woods in general. It's not about just killing deer absolutely not. But if you obtain the skill and knowledge to understand nature (including all the skills in your defintion) how could you not be more successful? Nature will tell you everything you need to know if we all would just set back and enjoy what's happening before our eyes. Something as small as ground squirrel alerting or gray squirrel barking means nothing to most but as for me I go on alert. I and I'm sure many others can go on and on about clues ,big or small, that when put together opens a whole other world of outdoors. Your defintion describes to a T as to what I was meaning when I used the term in a recent post about trail cams. So I'm confused to say the least.
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 am

I first would like to preface this by saying what works for you is great for you and I am not knocking it.
BUT, I don’t feel using gps and electronics is woodsmanship.
I feel that it is all those skills that have been mentioned earlier, navigation, terrain, understanding weather and wind and thermals, being able to build a fire in the rain, shelter if needed, etc...
I was a school teacher for 33 years. I have seen technology, the positives AND NEGATIVES as it has evolved. Kids and young adults have everything at their finger tips. Where is the nearest McDonalds? How do I get from point a to point b? Any info they need is at the press of a button. Instant satisfaction.
A story from just today - my son and I were out working in a new garden that we turned up for my wife. All the sod that was not broken up had to be raked out by had. Small garden 6x12 maybe. He was getting so frustrated at how long it was taking, how it wasn’t easy, there’s got to be a different tool we can use. All of that. I sat later and thought about it and my feeling is that everything they do is instantaneous. He really doesn’t know how to handle it when the work got tedious and and repetitious. Rake the sod to the edge, push it back to get the stuff under the dirt, rake the sod to the edge, move to the next spot....
I am not knocking young people, but my experience has been that kids don’t know how to work hard anymore because a lot don’t have to and when they are required to do so they struggle.
I think this has to do with “Woodsmanship”becoming a lost art.
Maybe I’m all wrong but it has been my experiences that has driven this thought process.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 am

Sounds pretty accurate to me. These days people would be lost with gps and smartphones. Also understanding animal behavior along with identifying the foods they eat is extremely important. Scouting is important but means nothing if you cannot understand the details that give you the rest of the puzzle pieces.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am

I think what you are saying is true but in todays society there is a focus on efficiency. Your son probably just isnt used to working hard yet cause kids are kids but on the flip he is right to some degree. There is a tool for that, a power tiller, in your case probably not needed it but some people would go rent one and knock the job out and move on. I think every generation thinks the new one is less capable than the last but it's not really the case for the most part, they are just different. They may not be as resourceful with nothing but are better with the tools they have.

Using a phone or gps is not woodsmanship. But knowing how to navigate without it and then using it to navigate faster is efficiency. If someone relies on only one they are still gonna be fine but just not as efficient. And that's not a big deal either because everyone should do it the way they prefer.
Make It Happen
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:38 am

I can understand the OPs frustration with the next generation. I believe every generation believes the next generation has it too easy. I heard it, my son hears it, and I'm certain his son will hear it. It's the nature of the beast, because it is true each generation has gained tech. Now what you do with that tech is up to you. So when I started hunting GPS was not available to civilians and the military stuff wasn't that good anyways. Navigating the flat thick swamps of Florida (especially in the dark) is a real PITA. I spent my fair share of nights stumbling around learning how to properly navigate the hard way many times. Honestly landnav in the military was a piece of cake when I had to hit the courses. Now I have a GPS and I use it I have spare batts and a compass. If I break my GPS or loose it (both have happened) that compass has saved my bacon. Where that GPS comes in really handy is the precision in with I can navigate at speed. What does that mean? It means I can go farther in the swamp. I can access more property in less time. Lets face it I give joe blow a compass and map and tell him to hit a point in the swamp and I take my GPS I'm gonna beat him there everytime having the same stamina and conditioning. I agree woodsmanship is the whole package. I also think the more we use the word and emphasize the meaning whether in part or in whole the better off the next generation will be. My son has a compass and a map when we go out hunting granted I don't let him wonder far off from me yet, but he's stretching his boundaries and learning the tools of the trade. We have navigated back to the truck a few times with him in the lead with the map and compass (a few really long walks) not always with the greatest success, but I'm there as a safety net. We are part of the reason the next generation is soft. How many times have I heard a parent say no way I'd let my kid do that? I completely understand its a different time with all the sickos we hear about, but is it really that different or does mass media play into that? I'm guilty of it. By the time I was 10yo I was running the 1000 acres of swamp and wood behind my house with my bb gun in hand. I would take my younger brothers and we dissappeared all day. My son can't leave the yard without his cell phone so momma bear can call him. Pisses me off to no end, but she was raised different and I'm just happy he's allowed to leave the yard and wants to.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:21 am

I looked up the definition of woodsmanship and it basically just says skills of a woodsman.(not much help) To me that means using a skill over a gadget. I'm not a big fan of a easier, faster way. No human element required type stuff just seems to squeeze any sense of real accomplishment out of it. Willing to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I use cameras, buy carbon arrows etc.. So I say to each there own and use what works and makes you feel u accomplished something.

Think a lot of the guys who preach woodsmanship and using skills over gadgets lose me when they start pulling out range finders and xbows. Just my .02
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”