When and where too shoot does

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

When and where too shoot does

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 am

We eat deer meat and we eat a lot of it
I always harvest 2-3 does every year for the meat. Im curious though when does everyone like too kill couple does for the meat?
Do you hunt different areas? Hunt different times of the day or year ? So it wont taint your buck bedding spots.
I know alot of does and young bucks will bed not far away from mature bucks. Ive been told and have read that mature bucks will sometimes use other deer for an alarm like system for danger. Just curious on this topic and sorry if it was asked before.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: When and where too shoot does

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 am

I have permission on a property that I can always go and shoot a doe or two at. This area always have lots of does and I see them nearly every sit. It's also not notorious or well known for having nice bucks on it. Until I actually see a shooter on this property, I'm going to continue shooting nice does for meat. :D
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:53 am

For me it's a easy answer cause I can only shoot them during the month of October. I put a lil bit of strategy into it. For instance I try to take them off a property that has higher numbers vs low deer number properties. I don't take them from a property that I plan on buck hunting later on. And I try to take them as quick out of the gate as possible so I can concentrate on locating bucks. Don't think there's a wrong answer it just personal preference. I'm sure if u strictly buck hunted sooner or later a doe is gonna come by. I just hate to waste a good buck hunt to take a doe it always makes me think if I hadn't of shot her would a big boy of stepped out. So I hunt specifically for them.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:56 am

The first week of bow season and not in my buck areas. Will be interesting if I will even do a doe hunt this year. I’ve accumulated so many good spots for bucks since the beast not sure I want to waste a hunt. Might just take one if the opportunity arises
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 am

Boogieman1 wrote:For me it's a easy answer cause I can only shoot them during the month of October. I put a lil bit of strategy into it. For instance I try to take them off a property that has higher numbers vs low deer number properties. I don't take them from a property that I plan on buck hunting later on. And I try to take them as quick out of the gate as possible so I can concentrate on locating bucks. Don't think there's a wrong answer it just personal preference. I'm sure if u strictly buck hunted sooner or later a doe is gonna come by. I just hate to waste a good buck hunt to take a doe it always makes me think if I hadn't of shot her would a big boy of stepped out. So I hunt specifically for them.

Pretty much what you just said, is how I go about it. Many of my areas are buck only so that makes it easy. They also happen to be areas where deer density is very low, but I only buck hunt these areas anyway.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:08 am

before it became almost impossible to get doe tags.......

I used to wait until later in rifle season and take a few days and do some still hunting or late season archery hunting to fill my doe tags.

It was a fun break from all the serious buck hunting. I liked the fact that it was colder out at that time so I didn't have to rush with processing the meat.
Ditz

Unread postby Ditz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:17 am

We also eat a lot of venison, and shoot 2-3 does like you. I usually take them in the very beginning of the season on a food source (usually a food plot). They are usually coming out well before dark, and are not on "high alert" like later in the season. This is usually the easiest way for me to put some meat in the freezer. I sometimes have (or save) a tag for the late season in January and again hunt a food source. The mature bucks that I'm targeting are usually not out on these food sources until after dark, so I don't feel like I'm tainting the area. If the conditions are right I'm always going in for a buck, but I think we all have those days where your just short on time, or the weather conditions aren't right, and that's when I quick slide into a food source and try to fill a doe tag.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:23 am

Either right away early season or with a rifle later. If I had a preference it would be early Oct right after they kick the little ones away.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:33 am

In all honesty though, I will shoot a doe when I need meat, and will shoot her through the lungs for a quick recovery. :twisted:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 am

Shoot a doe when I have the chance, and I prefer behind the shoulder.

I like eating venison, and struggle to shoot deer when I don’t have them in front of me. If I only get one or two chances a year to fill the freezer a year, well I’m not passing it up
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 am

For me it depends on how badly we need meat. Quite often I'll take one or two in the early season 'cause we're out and that's usually when they're coming off of food on a morning hunt. Makes recovery a little easier and the chance of messing the area up less (most deer are back to bed). Most of the time, they generally don't run toward the bedding areas and often back toward the food making the drag shorter. Generally won't shoot a doe around the rut and wait until our late season the first couple weeks of Jan to finish filling the freezer, which usually means 2-4 more deer.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:18 am

Whenever I get a good kill opportunity. I'll shoot em behind the house occasionally.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 am

Any chance I get. In fact, I'd shoot more deer every year if I could get landowners to believe me when I tell them I really don't care about their bucks and I truly am ecstatic shooting does!

Emrah
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm

It's a draw system up here for doe tags. I haven't been awarded an anterless tag in almost 5 years now (I find out in 10 days if I get one this year). Says something about the deer density in my area I guess. If I do get a tag I 'll be trying to fill it ASAP I think. I don't think I'd want to wait and waste the opportunity.
Carny

Unread postby Carny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:25 pm

Hopefully the morning of Oct 1! We have to shoot a doe on our lease before we can take a buck so I want to get on ASAP!

As far as where, I’m going to try to find the least likely spot a mature buck will be that will Still put me on the does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”