Pics of bedded bucks- stranger the place the better...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killemquietly

Pics of bedded bucks- stranger the place the better...

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Who's got 'em???? Pics of bedded bucks ( or any whiteail for that matter) in strange places. I think it'll be a cool thread :D

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Pics of bedded bucks- stranger the place the better...

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I've captured a handful of cool ones through the years. Some by pure accident. I had a good one I was gonna submit for the farm country request but I couldn't find the memory card. Had 2 fairly good bucks bedding up against a rusted out 57 Chevy in a over grown cattle pasture in velvet. Got one once of a buck getting his sack hung on a fence crossing that was funny. Should have seen the look on his face lol! And last year got one bedded down with a family of racoons I thought was neat. I've never owned a computer so saving them is not something I know how to do. I normally just keep the cool stuff on the card but I have a 4 year old who has to have a giant pile of them hidden somewhere.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 pm

i'd love to see those Boogie, If you find them please post em...
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I've got some from the last two years, they were mostly in doe bedding that it seemed the bucks were waiting for. nothing huge. I'll dig them up tomorrow and post em
Make It Happen
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:52 am

These were bedded about 30 feet from a river, cliffs and boulders to their backs, and crop field (corn, hayfield) across the river. Only people access was crop fields, or river, which they would have seen either coming. They bedded there for 5 minutes over the course of several months, and the beds were wore down to bare dirt. Just goes to show a worn down bed does not always equal heavy use.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I've captured a handful of cool ones through the years. Some by pure accident. I had a good one I was gonna submit for the farm country request but I couldn't find the memory card. Had 2 fairly good bucks bedding up against a rusted out 57 Chevy in a over grown cattle pasture in velvet. Got one once of a buck getting his sack hung on a fence crossing that was funny. Should have seen the look on his face lol! And last year got one bedded down with a family of racoons I thought was neat. I've never owned a computer so saving them is not something I know how to do. I normally just keep the cool stuff on the card but I have a 4 year old who has to have a giant pile of them hidden somewhere.

one day I hope to find all of my cards, like "dad, i'm sorry, here are the 40 cards I took and hid from you as a child'
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 am

Scratchman wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I've captured a handful of cool ones through the years. Some by pure accident. I had a good one I was gonna submit for the farm country request but I couldn't find the memory card. Had 2 fairly good bucks bedding up against a rusted out 57 Chevy in a over grown cattle pasture in velvet. Got one once of a buck getting his sack hung on a fence crossing that was funny. Should have seen the look on his face lol! And last year got one bedded down with a family of racoons I thought was neat. I've never owned a computer so saving them is not something I know how to do. I normally just keep the cool stuff on the card but I have a 4 year old who has to have a giant pile of them hidden somewhere.

one day I hope to find all of my cards, like "dad, i'm sorry, here are the 40 cards I took and hid from you as a child'

Something like that :lol: Suspect upon graduating highschool she will approach with a shoe box and say dad these are for you. Inside that box will be items I've searched the better part of my life for. Numerous keys, wallets, shooting tabs, an entire trail cam, 75 right socks and yes a plethora of SIM cards. Will be a good day!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Grant

Unread postby Grant » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:30 pm

brancher147 wrote:These were bedded about 30 feet from a river, cliffs and boulders to their backs, and crop field (corn, hayfield) across the river. Only people access was crop fields, or river, which they would have seen either coming. They bedded there for 5 minutes over the course of several months, and the beds were wore down to bare dirt. Just goes to show a worn down bed does not always equal heavy use.

WOW. You win. :clap:
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Grant wrote:
brancher147 wrote:These were bedded about 30 feet from a river, cliffs and boulders to their backs, and crop field (corn, hayfield) across the river. Only people access was crop fields, or river, which they would have seen either coming. They bedded there for 5 minutes over the course of several months, and the beds were wore down to bare dirt. Just goes to show a worn down bed does not always equal heavy use.

WOW. You win. :clap:

Those were super cool for sure. interesting how little they used them, yet looked so tucked in the pic. Keep em coming
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Awesome pic! Just out of curiosity, how long did you run that camera in that location? Unless you had it there all year, maybe they use that location more at a different time.. :think:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:08 am

Treewalker87 wrote:

Awesome pic! Just out of curiosity, how long did you run that camera in that location? Unless you had it there all year, maybe they use that location more at a different time.. :think:

I have left a camera there longer with nothing. And the camera/my scent was not spooking anything. My access was to take one step out of the river and hang/check cam, and only access with the right wind every few months. Beds have not really been used since those pics. Crop rotation, and floods this spring have changed things. Now adjacent field is just grass hay and 1/2 mile downstream is alfalfa/corn. Plus we have had lots of acorns in the fall/winter. I think in another similar year those beds/that area will be used again.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:19 am

How about this one I saw today. Wind and cover to back, upper 1/3 elevation, looking into more open timber-or the road in this case lol.

Funny thing is there were 3 deer bedded in this ditch and no one but me saw them. They were so close to the road people did not even notice. Talk about hiding in plain sight...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 pm

brancher147 wrote:Image

How about this one I saw today. Wind and cover to back, upper 1/3 elevation, looking into more open timber-or the road in this case lol.

Funny thing is there were 3 deer bedded in this ditch and no one but me saw them. They were so close to the road people did not even notice. Talk about hiding in plain sight...

See a bedded buck and get your milkweed in the same spot. Lol
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Hawthorne wrote:

LOL! When I zoomed in that's the first thing I noticed too!

Definitely wind specific bedding due to his milkweed use... :whistle:
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 am

Motivated wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

LOL! When I zoomed in that's the first thing I noticed too!

Definitely wind specific bedding due to his milkweed use... :whistle:

Lol. Didn’t even pay attention to milkweed. Am so used to seeing it everywhere right now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”