Thread of Shame...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Thread of Shame...

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:08 am

Dan's post reminded me of the feelings I get reading about poaching and illegally shooting deer.

Some of these reads will get you going! I see these pop up a lot especially in hunting season. Unfortunetly, unless its written in articles like posted, many times you dont hear about the poaching locally as often as it happens. Maybe occasionally might notice news headline pop up and sometimes have to hear it from a conservation officer or not at all... Heck iv seen a few myself and heard plenty of stories from different people. It seems a lot of them turn out to be trespassing cases.

*Biggest Poached Deer - The Ohio buck sure was a beautiful deer.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/12-of-the ... ampaign=mm

*Major Poaching Cases - These articles have more stories about amounts of deer taken.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-recent ... lood-boil/
http://www.petersenshunting.com/poachin ... ases-ever/

*A talk w a Poacher - Just for sakes of the post, this is good listen from NFC podcast about a guy who illegally shot a deer and was willing to talk about. People make mistakes and we are far from perfect. All we can do is learn from them and be better. Not everyone learns their lessons though...
https://sportsmensnation.com/whitetail/ ... -a-poacher

We all have heard the recent cases of "celeb hunters" or so called "pro hunter" being caught doing something wrong. I have hunted the MO Ozarks and can say this stuff is very bad in that area. Those deer are road hunted a lot and so skiddish that id rather go hunt public land than private 3 hrs from home. My uncle has told me stories about how they poached deer at younger age. Spotlighting them, shooting and removing the heads in the middle of a field. Iv even talked w a trespasser shortly before he poached a buck in the dark and I guess bc he knew our group was present he just cut the tenderloins out and left the rest of the animal. The guy had two of his kids with him! I heard a story recently about a guy who shot a booner but basically stole it from a little kid. Heck, one of my family members took me out for my first youth weekend hunt (11 yrs old), grabbed the gun from my shoulder, shot and missed a good buck bc I wasnt paying attention. I and most people around respect that person more than anyone in the world. Big bucks can make people do some dumb things..

Sometimes when reading or hearing these stories I wonder why I even work hard at chasing deer but at the end of it all I am reminded how much I love it and wouldnt want it any other way. As much as I want a big deer on my wall there is no substitute for the feeling I get being successful hunting it fairly and the right way. The funny thing about that is once you start laying some deer down people call you "lucky". So youre either lucky or a poacher :lol: I wouldnt want to lie about a kill or tip toe around people hoping someone wont ask me about it. Kids learn from their parents. Its just a shame to see so many willing to do anything to kill a deer with no morals, laws or repercussions in mind.

Anyone have a story or experience they are willing to share?

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Thread of Shame...

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 am

I had a poor experience my first year of hunting that turned me off for about 25 years, i was 12. I had went on an up north hunting trip with my uncle and his friend, and they spent the whole time getting drunk. that first night we were there, they were super ripped and driving us around back roads looking for deer to hit with the car or shoot with the bow in the dark.... :? Scared the crap out of me, i ended up convincing them to let me drive the rest of the night, as the roadside trees kept getting closer.
the second night they left me alone at the camp until about 4 in the morning so they could slip away and go to the bar, and doing only God knows what else.
Besides that, they stuck me in a tree that was about a mile away from the car, and told me not to walk out until after dark by my self, through the Deep, thick Northern Michigan Woods :snooty:
by the time the weekend was over, I had no desire to hunt any longer. It totally soured me on hunting.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:16 pm

I have mixed feelings about this and I always have. I have no qualms with the guy who kills him a deer and eats it. I mean that’s what they are for and normally these guys could care less about a buck for that purpose. But with today’s liberal bag limits, those days are about gone.

On the other hand, I have no use for killing them with a light, killing them because they are there, killing them under legal circumstances and giving it all away, and killing them and leaving them lay. I was born and raised in the Missouri Ozarks and saw a lot of deer feed a lot of hungry people. But most of this I see now are just killing them for their horns or for the thrill.

This may stir some controversy but I’m going to be honest. We have liberal bag limits in Missouri with a bow and once it was with a rifle. I know of and have seen the evidence of guys shooting deer that would number in the 20’s and giving them all away. That to me is no worse than shooting one with a light. That’s killing for sport and nothing else. Kill what you can use, if you aren’t going to eat it what’s the purpose of killing 20 or 30 because they are there? I know in all reality it’s legal, and I know what the intent of the method was for, so there is some blame to be placed on some government agencies, but there are a lot things that are “legal”, but that doesn’t make it right.

Not meant to make anyone mad and not pointing fingers. I guess it’s like anything else. Ethics and morales all boil down to what your conscience will allow.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the stories DK. You sure are resourceful
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Thanks for the stories DK. You sure are resourceful

Think it might be cause he tags out opening day and has all that spare time while the rest of us are grinding. What a show off :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:26 pm

<DK> wrote:Dan's post reminded me of the feelings I get reading about poaching and illegally shooting deer.

Some of these reads will get you going! I see these pop up a lot especially in hunting season. Unfortunetly, unless its written in articles like posted, many times you dont hear about the poaching locally as often as it happens. Maybe occasionally might notice news headline pop up and sometimes have to hear it from a conservation officer or not at all... Heck iv seen a few myself and heard plenty of stories from different people. It seems a lot of them turn out to be trespassing cases.

*Biggest Poached Deer - The Ohio buck sure was a beautiful deer.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/12-of-the ... ampaign=mm

*Major Poaching Cases - These articles have more stories about amounts of deer taken.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-recent ... lood-boil/
http://www.petersenshunting.com/poachin ... ases-ever/

*A talk w a Poacher - Just for sakes of the post, this is good listen from NFC podcast about a guy who illegally shot a deer and was willing to talk about. People make mistakes and we are far from perfect. All we can do is learn from them and be better. Not everyone learns their lessons though...
https://sportsmensnation.com/whitetail/ ... -a-poacher

We all have heard the recent cases of "celeb hunters" or so called "pro hunter" being caught doing something wrong. I have hunted the MO Ozarks and can say this stuff is very bad in that area. Those deer are road hunted a lotand so skiddish that id rather go hunt public land than private 3 hrs from home. My uncle has told me stories about how they poached deer at younger age. Spotlighting them, shooting and removing the heads in the middle of a field. Iv even talked w a trespasser shortly before he poached a buck in the dark and I guess bc he knew our group was present he just cut the tenderloins out and left the rest of the animal. The guy had two of his kids with him! I heard a story recently about a guy who shot a booner but basically stole it from a little kid. Heck, one of my family members took me out for my first youth weekend hunt (11 yrs old), grabbed the gun from my shoulder, shot and missed a good buck bc I wasnt paying attention. I and most people around respect that person more than anyone in the world. Big bucks can make people do some dumb things..

Sometimes when reading or hearing these stories I wonder why I even work hard at chasing deer but at the end of it all I am reminded how much I love it and wouldnt want it any other way. As much as I want a big deer on my wall there is no substitute for the feeling I get being successful hunting it fairly and the right way. The funny thing about that is once you start laying some deer down people call you "lucky". So youre either lucky or a poacher :lol: I wouldnt want to lie about a kill or tip toe around people hoping someone wont ask me about it. Kids learn from their parents. Its just a shame to see so many willing to do anything to kill a deer with no morals, laws or repercussions in mind.

Anyone have a story or experience they are willing to share?

I used to live in the ozarks and my parents still do. I would have to agree with you. I've heard lots of stories about guys seeing who can shoot the most bucks in a night, exchanging coolers of meat and so on. I have a friend there that had all kinds of trouble with poachers shining his land after he first bought it. My parents live along a gravel road and my Dad has people driving the road back and forth right before dark during rifle season.

The nice thing about the public there is you have big rugged pieces like the Sunklands and Angeline CAs so getting away from people is doable and they really don't get hunted hard during bow season.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:54 pm

I think one way we can slow down this trend is to stop placing so much importance on rack score. We need to get back to enjoying the outdoors and fellow hunters. We need to stress the hunt and celebrate the kill regardless of size.
I have always been critical of the scoring system because the ego need to be recognized pushes people to make poor decisions.
Mentoring our young hunters and instilling the proper values will help to reverse this trend.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:13 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I think one way we can slow down this trend is to stop placing so much importance on rack score. We need to get back to enjoying the outdoors and fellow hunters. We need to stress the hunt and celebrate the kill regardless of size.
I have always been critical of the scoring system because the ego need to be recognized pushes people to make poor decisions.
Mentoring our young hunters and instilling the proper values will help to reverse this trend.

Exactly :clap:
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I think one way we can slow down this trend is to stop placing so much importance on rack score. We need to get back to enjoying the outdoors and fellow hunters. We need to stress the hunt and celebrate the kill regardless of size.

I totally agree! But evidence shows the hunting industry going in a different direction. In the recent podcast with Dan, Jeff, and The Hunting Public, they talk about woodsmanship and learning to read the sign but yet our youth can’t or won’t be interested in it. They can’t tell you what animal made that track, but sure as heck can tell you what a 140 buck looks like!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:28 am

I'm going to get something off my chest here.
I had high hopes for a specific spot on public ground one year. The day to hunt there came and man I was going.
Within about 40 yards of the spot I was whistled to. Another bowhunter was in a tree already close by.
Running the wind direction and expected deer movement through in my head gave me hope. The decision was made to crowd in on this guy. :oops: He was there first and I should have went on to plan b or something. I didn't.
Once I sat down at this "great" spot he had given up. He dropped down out of the tree he was in and stormed off. I don't want to be "that guy" again and would apologize if given a chance.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:44 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Thanks for the stories DK. You sure are resourceful

Think it might be cause he tags out opening day and has all that spare time while the rest of us are grinding. What a show off :lol:

Hey I cant take all the credit, this acorn cruncher works great
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:11 am

Nelson87 wrote:
<DK> wrote:Anyone have a story or experience they are willing to share?

I used to live in the ozarks and my parents still do. I would have to agree with you. I've heard lots of stories about guys seeing who can shoot the most bucks in a night, exchanging coolers of meat and so on. I have a friend there that had all kinds of trouble with poachers shining his land after he first bought it. My parents live along a gravel road and my Dad has people driving the road back and forth right before dark during rifle season.

The nice thing about the public there is you have big rugged pieces like the Sunklands and Angeline CAs so getting away from people is doable and they really don't get hunted hard during bow season.

My favorite line is - "Weve been hunting here for decades" :snooty:
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:43 am

Man that Big Beautiful Ohio Buck being poached makes me sick. That buck deserved to be killed legally or die of natural causes. Not be poached.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I'm going to get something off my chest here.
I had high hopes for a specific spot on public ground one year. The day to hunt there came and man I was going.
Within about 40 yards of the spot I was whistled to. Another bowhunter was in a tree already close by.
Running the wind direction and expected deer movement through in my head gave me hope. The decision was made to crowd in on this guy. :oops: He was there first and I should have went on to plan b or something. I didn't.
Once I sat down at this "great" spot he had given up. He dropped down out of the tree he was in and stormed off. I don't want to be "that guy" again and would apologize if given a chance.

Hey we all been there....I did it to a guy on thanksgiving...we were 75yds on the ground and he was as mad as I was when the sun came up...but who was there first? I was 17 I had 2 spots and I said well I guess I can't shoot in that direction and settled in ..hour later he shoots..miss..another hour I shoot boom got me a small forky....he came running right over I called my dad right away I thought this guy was going to steal my deer bc it was in between both of us(safely we both could have shot at it) ......wrong! Super nice helped me gut it out and gave me a positive experience....no longer would I sit that close to anyone now but hey just be over friendly now to people and pay that message forward. I try and talk a little with guys I see in the same lot. Of course no one ever plays there best cards but at least be friendly out there
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am

This is a good one. In Vermont, all I ever here from "good hunters" is how our deer suck because a 125 is a giant. Now the good hunters that work at it still respect a deer for it's weight (field dressed of course). This is how we have traditionally scored them here. This is the land of Benoits. Even in his later years Lane started giving less attention to size and more to the score of the rack. I think that was to catch up with the others that were gaining rack score fame. Anyway, I'm still chasing the 200lb field dressed buck (lungs and liver removed), but a 125# doe (with a clean kill) with a recurve would be just as cool. Its about every detail, not just a score to brag about, or for that matter make excuses for.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”