Mid to late July Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnswamphunter

Mid to late July Scouting

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:11 am

Hello, I want to share some observation I made over the last few years while scouting in July. While Scouting I observe several groups of smaller bucks, one lone buck, and a group of two large bucks.
The smaller groups of bucks range from 100 inch to 125 inch and never a big buck.
The lone buck is large and guessing that he will score 145-150. I located him last year and he was in the 130 -0135 inch. He has long brow tines. :D
The two large bucks were were 140 plus deer and were shot by other people 2 years ago.
These deer are generally seen on a field edge 3 days after a rain. The smaller bucks come out earlier than the large bucks. By the way these groups of deer are on different properties a mile or three apart.

I seen other bucks. These were only observes once and in random places.

My conclusion is that there is a 3 day hatch cycle on biting bugs. The rain seems batch the hatch? These factor seem to push the deer out to the open. The younger bucks enter the opening earlier while the large buck enters right before dusk. Like size bucks group together during the summer. The lone large buck has a primary bed close by. I think I know were several of them are located. 8-)

J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Re: Mid to late July Scouting

Unread postby J Gilbert » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am

Biting bugs are bad down this way from March-November generally, it's all but impossible to hunt or be outside for extended periods without a Thermacell. If you don't have one, spend the money- they work.
peteherbst

Re: Mid to late July Scouting

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:57 am

I've been out scouting a couple times in July and between the deer flies and the mosquitos, it's almost unbearable. There isn't much you can do while moving, but the Thermacell should do the trick if you're in the stand.
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”