Tell or not to tell

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Tell or not to tell

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:17 pm

My hunting buddy is my dad and I would absolutely tell him. We'd spend the evening coming up with a plan to put the big boy on the ground. Man that's what it's all about.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 am

I hunt alone mostly so I have no reason to tell anyone. Gun season I hunt with my dad and brother so yeah I’d tell em. I do share some stuff with another guy that hunts a farm I do because he shares stuff with me. I’ve been burned sharing information so I mostly keep to myself. I haven’t even shared any pics of kills or trail cams on here in past 7 years probably . Been thinking about sharing more but still reluctant . Would probably be in the 500club if I did. I know I enjoy seing others success kinda feel bad not sharing mine.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 am

If I'm only hunting with my hunting partner, I'm definitely going to tell him and we will probably come up with a plan. If it's him and say his brothers and bunch of others, I will probably only confide in him.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 am

If you're hunting with someone you think would use the information your shared selfishly, or that you wouldn't be happy if they killed the deer, you already screwed up, imo.

I'd be telling and planning together. Sounds like a good bet for a two man plan to cover the back door if you spook him.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 am

Id still hunt him, put my buddies on the escape routes and try not to shoot each other.
bowhunt4abuck

Unread postby bowhunt4abuck » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm

I tell my grandfather and a couple other buddies that work with me and I with them doing food plots and such. Other then that nobody really knows unless someone random happens to catch up with me during season (hard to do) and asks. Then I’ll tell them the stories. It’s simply more enjoyable for me if I share the experience with others and we can discuss possibilities.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 am

street28ss wrote:Let's say you're hunting with a group of guys you've hunted with for years. You are hunting the opening weekend of gun season. The first morning you set up in an observation type stand and you spot a big buck bedded in the swamp that's just out of range and you come up with a plan to put on a stalk of this buck the next day. The question is, do you tell your good buddy that night that you saw this buck or do you keep it quiet until you drag it back to the truck the next day?

Thought this could be an interesting question to ask.

I understand that you're asking a question about whether or not you would tell your buddies, but I thought I would bring it up or some of the newer members of this site--if you see a buck that's bedded in the morning, then you need to stalk him that same day. Or creep in and set up near him for an evening hunt. If possible, don't wait for the next day. He may be a mile away on a different property. You got to go after him right then. Strike while the iron is hot and while you have the opportunity.

Back to your question. If I'm hunting with somebody, then I tell him. Usually that's my dad or a close friend. If it's a stranger that I met that day on public, then my mouth is shut.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

For me it depends on the buddy. There's a few I would tell, but most I wouldn't.

Loose lips sink ships.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Same mentality as a new to the area attractive woman. Your real buddies let you get the first try. You tell them because you’d like to see at least one of you be happy.
Grant

Unread postby Grant » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:30 pm

I wouldn't tell anyone that I didn't I want to kill the deer.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 pm

jporcello wrote:if he is my buddy, he will absolutely help me make a plan for this buck and be happy to help me drag him out.

^^^^ this.... that's the only kind of guys I hunt with.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 am

One real hunting buddy. That's what I got. If find something he knows about it. With other hunters I keep it general, or even agree with them that the "area is much to thick to hunt".
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 am

One real hunting buddy. That's what I got. If find something he knows about it. With other hunters I keep it general, or even agree with them that the "area is much to thick to hunt".
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:45 am

Grant wrote:I wouldn't tell anyone that I didn't I want to kill the deer.

My thoughts exactly. I hunt a club that sees a lot of pressure, and we have a drawing system for areas/stands so no private areas or stands at all- if you share all you know, somebody else could be in that stand the next day, and certainly will the next weekend if you're not there.
bowhunt4abuck

Unread postby bowhunt4abuck » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:10 pm

I tell my grandfather and a couple other buddies that work with me and I with them doing food plots and such. Other then that nobody really knows unless someone random happens to catch up with me during season (hard to do) and asks. Then I’ll tell them the stories. It’s simply more enjoyable for me if I share the experience with others and we can discuss possibilities.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”