Beds and Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Beds and Scrapes

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:56 pm

in my area in northern wi I see scrapes open up every year on the 27th. give or take a day. thats when I would target that spot or any scrape line for that matter. or shortly after a rain.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Check out this old thread, Buck Bed Scrape.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6137

It certainly sounds like the buck is setup to smell that scrape, if you run cams over scrapes you usually notice you get just as many does as bucks so that is why he is there. Guessing there is some doe bedding nearby or maybe several doe bedding areas within a short distance of this place, that time of year they are on the hunt and seem to like to hang out near does or have a lot of options to pursue does.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:09 am

headgear wrote:Check out this old thread, Buck Bed Scrape.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6137

It certainly sounds like the buck is setup to smell that scrape, if you run cams over scrapes you usually notice you get just as many does as bucks so that is why he is there. Guessing there is some doe bedding nearby or maybe several doe bedding areas within a short distance of this place, that time of year they are on the hunt and seem to like to hang out near does or have a lot of options to pursue does.

I totally agree with you! This area is doe bedding. It took us a year of scouting, hunting, and observing to figure this out. Putting out trail cams all summer long we will only get does and fawns. Essentially I'd call this our rut spot and we don't hunt it until the end of October.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:19 am

Jdaukontas wrote:I have a similar scrape area I want to target and have prepped back in March. Haven't been back since, but wonder when is the best time? I was thinking late October/ early November timed with rain. Access my stand in the rain and hope the rain dies off the last few hours of dark. I just think that type of day, with the right wind, seems like a prayer. Or do I just wait for the right wind and hit it? What do you all find to be the best action on scrapes date-wise?

I left my camera over the primary scrape all summer into winter. Here is my results.

Summer time: I only would get does, fawns, and bears.

October: It took all the way to October to actually get a buck on camera. First it started yearlings. I think it was the October 14th. Then on the 18th I got a 3 1/2 year old along with 2 2 1/2 year olds. All 3 of these bucks went under 100 inches. But I would have shot 2 of them. I believe my first day pick of one of them was October 30th. It was around 11:30 am.

November: On November 1st I saw a 4 1/2 year old northwoods giant! At 5:06 pm working the scrape. Never had him over this camera before but obviously he knew it was there. The next time he showed up was November 9th around noon. During that same week I had a couple more buck daylight picks. At that time I ran out of vacation and was back to work.

Overall my findings of this primary scrape were that in mid October is when the bucks started showing up. They started small from a yearling all the way to a 4 1/2 year old in November. Based on what you think, I'd say you have a great plan!
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:00 am

Thanks Northwoods! I am not sure why, but I always second guess my sets and need confidence before going into them. This site never disappoints!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”