Cattail Bedding - Weather Observations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Cattail Bedding - Weather Observations

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:23 am

Hey Guys,

Has anyone observed weather having an impact on bucks bedding in non wind specific cattail beds?

Yesterday i took the day off to move cameras around with the heavy rain. While I was out, I checked on a deer i've seen bedding off a point in the cattails pretty regularly now. He wasn't there, I know it could be a number of factors but I was just curious if anyone has seen heavy rain or wind backing those deer off the points. The rain was heavy enough where sound was very limited, in my mind those beds would lose any advantage they had. Not to mention there's no cover from the rain laying out in the cats.

bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Cattail Bedding - Weather Observations

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 am

Great question. I'm pretty new to swamp hunting so I'm in for answers.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:05 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Hey Guys,

Has anyone observed weather having an impact on bucks bedding in non wind specific cattail beds?

Yesterday i took the day off to move cameras around with the heavy rain. While I was out, I checked on a deer i've seen bedding off a point in the cattails pretty regularly now. He wasn't there, I know it could be a number of factors but I was just curious if anyone has seen heavy rain or wind backing those deer off the points. The rain was heavy enough where sound was very limited, in my mind those beds would lose any advantage they had. Not to mention there's no cover from the rain laying out in the cats.

I heard Dan say mosquitoes will push deer away from water in the summer especially if a point is surrounded by water. Then who knows really why he wasnt there coyote might went through spooked by something etc. i wouldnt worry too much stick too your plan
Dans statement about mosquitoes is probably very true right now
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:00 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:

I heard Dan say mosquitoes will push deer away from water in the summer especially if a point is surrounded by water. Then who knows really why he wasnt there coyote might went through spooked by something etc. i wouldnt worry too much stick too your plan

Yeah, I remember him saying that. This deer has shown the opposite so far this summer. I was just curious if anyone had any observations they've picked up on over the years. I'm less concerned about why he wasn't there on this day specifically, it just kind of sparked the larger question in my head. I was actually planning on using a raining or windy day for this specific hunt but if guys are noticing them backing up onto the islands or bedding under thicker cover in those conditions it may change my game plan, my access specifically.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:06 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Yeah, I remember him saying that. This deer has shown the opposite so far this summer. I was just curious if anyone had any observations they've picked up on over the years. I'm less concerned about why he wasn't there on this day specifically, it just kind of sparked the larger question in my head. I was actually planning on using a raining or windy day for this specific hunt but if guys are noticing them backing up onto the islands or bedding under thicker cover in those conditions it may change my game plan, my access specifically.

Just a thought, but If there is limited line of sight from the bed, the buck may prefer more open bedding when wind and rain are heavy as both can interfere with his other senses like sound and scent upon which he relies in the high cattails. The same reasons you want those conditions to sneak in on him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 am

moog5050 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Just a thought, but If there is limited line of sight from the bed, the buck may prefer more open bedding when wind and rain are heavy as both can interfere with his other senses like sound and scent upon which he relies in the high cattails. The same reasons you want those conditions to sneak in on him.

Exactly my thoughts on it... Sound based bedding is best when he can hear. Might seek out vision based bedding when sound is not an option. So in heavy wind or rain I would suspect wind based bedding cause wind based is also vision bedding.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 am

I'll keep an eye on him until the time comes to move in, i''ve got a great non intrusive glassing spot. I'm wondering if he's just sliding up the point onto the island a little further and bedding, looking out over the catts or if he's moving out of the marsh completely. Time will tell.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 am

NYBackcountry wrote:I'll keep an eye on him until the time comes to move in, i''ve got a great non intrusive glassing spot. I'm wondering if he's just sliding up the point onto the island a little further and bedding, looking out over the catts or if he's moving out of the marsh completely. Time will tell.

I think this time of year its so hard to tell but I think if you glass him in that bed in the near future you should be fine
keep us posted brother

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”