Deer hunting and travel hubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Corsair7

Deer hunting and travel hubs

Unread postby Corsair7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 am

When a HB looks at this satellite image, what do they see?

image ~38 acres, closest ag field (soybeans) 400yds away to the SW.

When boots on the ground would you walk all transitions looking for sign?

What areas would be keyed in on?

If going in on a blind hunt and this is all you had, where would one set up? Travel hub, "spokes on a wheel"? Scout until you find good sign and set up? What would be the best time to throw a sit? Afternoon during the rut?

New to the beast and want to learn. Still have a few years to dedicate a lot of time throughout the entire year. Know I won't see results right away and it will take time and hard work to get results.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Deer hunting and travel hubs

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:15 am

Id look at every lone tree in the middle and on the point in the middle on the bottomside of the cattails if thats what in there is cats. Look like trails coming from about all lone trees in the middle. The east side may have a good travel funnel! And yes walk the all round the transition too. That looks like a good spot!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 am

Thanks for the input UofLbowhunter. Not exactly sure if they are cattails. Need to get boots on the ground and check the area out. Was there few weeks ago and had someone else with me, was going to scout it. But didn't end up going as far back as need to get to this location, mosquitoes were really bad and it was pretty hellish. I decided I would come back alone and not drag someone along through the mess.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:I would check all point tips bowls
And everywhere it take work too get too and humans really wont go. Single trees out in middle of meadows and swamp areas.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check them out. From access it's about a mile back in.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:27 am

I'm assuming thats a drainage ditch running along the west and partially along the north border, don't overlook scouting aerial imagery of the neighboring property where deer may be bedding over there and crossing over to this piece too. Theres a few crossings I see in the NW corner and one in the middle of the west side. Also depending on the ditch could be used for access, whether it be dried up and take it by foot or by kayak/canoe, depending on where you would possibly hunt and if its even accessible for you to use.

Just something else to look at
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 am

bcarey2 wrote:I'm assuming thats a drainage ditch running along the west and partially along the north border, don't overlook scouting aerial imagery of the neighboring property where deer may be bedding over there and crossing over to this piece too. Theres a few crossings I see in the NW corner and one in the middle of the west side. Also depending on the ditch could be used for access, whether it be dried up and take it by foot or by kayak/canoe, depending on where you would possibly hunt and if its even accessible for you to use.

Just something else to look at

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, it's a drainage, looks like the drainage on West holds good water. Drainage on West goes south and cuts East. If I used ditch for access, I'd have .5 mile walk to get to it, then .75 miles to get to the far NW corner. Access is coming on from the East. But definitely considering it. Private property on the West and North side of image. A lot of pressure I think is along the ag field I mentioned. When I glassed one evening I saw 3 ladder stands still up along the field edge. I would be accessing right behind those guys if I came along the drainage. Deer are in the area, 30 min I was there glassing the one field, there were 5 does and 2 bucks both last year's fawns. Nothing to get too excited about, need to go back and get boots on the groind and do some shining too. Again thanks for the input.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:19 am

It looks like there are deer all over the place in that marsh. I’d try to find the least pressured/most overlooked areas and hunt those. Personally I’d be very aggressive this year not necessarily to kill, but to learn. This spring get in there and Scout the heck out of it. I’m sure there are some nice deer in there.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 am

matt1336 wrote:It looks like there are deer all over the place in that marsh. I’d try to find the least pressured/most overlooked areas and hunt those. Personally I’d be very aggressive this year not necessarily to kill, but to learn. This spring get in there and Scout the heck out of it. I’m sure there are some nice deer in there.

Glassing all around the surrounding area two hours before sunset saw deer in practically all fields, think deer density is pretty good for this area. Definitely excited to learn this place more, I think I'll hunt this area pretty aggressive this coming season like you said. I'll see what I can find out when I get boots on the ground in a couple weeks. Just too far to drive to get to for a week day scout after work. Think it will be a fun place to hunt and learn, if there are nice deer it'll just be an added bonus.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 am

Corsair7 wrote:
matt1336 wrote:It looks like there are deer all over the place in that marsh. I’d try to find the least pressured/most overlooked areas and hunt those. Personally I’d be very aggressive this year not necessarily to kill, but to learn. This spring get in there and Scout the heck out of it. I’m sure there are some nice deer in there.

Glassing all around the surrounding area two hours before sunset saw deer in practically all fields, think deer density is pretty good for this area. Definitely excited to learn this place more, I think I'll hunt this area pretty aggressive this coming season like you said. I'll see what I can find out when I get boots on the ground in a couple weeks. Just too far to drive to get to for a week day scout after work. Think it will be a fun place to hunt and learn, if there are nice deer it'll just be an added bonus.

Have fun! It looks to be worth your time from the posted pics. I’ll look forward to your live from the field posts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”