Looking for Info/Support: First out of state DIY public land hunt, Muskigum County OH

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MATexbow

Looking for Info/Support: First out of state DIY public land hunt, Muskigum County OH

Unread postby MATexbow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:28 pm

I am going to be passing thru Zainsville OH, Muskigum county this fall and decided I should make a trip out of it. Will be hunting the first week of October.

Looking for advise or any info fellow beasts might have about the area. Specifically related to river bottom hunting and what the deer are generally doing around that first and second week of October.

This is the first time I have ever hunted public land outside of MA or NH, really excited for the challenge and opportunity. Any advice or support is appreciated! thank you!

Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
MikePerry

Re: Looking for Info/Support: First out of state DIY public land hunt, Muskigum County OH

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:45 pm

I’ve never hunted public land in that county but I’ve hunted other counties in Ohio since 1987. My experience in Ohio where I hunt is the first couple days of the season are usually pretty good. Once they have been hunted they don’t move as far during daylight. I hunt mostly farm land. Things get pretty slow up until around the 17th of October movement picks up especially around scrapes near bedding. If you can identify some good bedding areas near acorns and get in close you may have some action. The good news is you will probably have the place to yourself because that area gets a lot of hunting pressure from non residents and most of them will not start showing up until late October early November.
Persistence pays!!!
Matt6506

Re: Looking for Info/Support: First out of state DIY public land hunt, Muskigum County OH

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:44 am

I've hunted very little in muskingum county but I live about 35mins or so to the east. You won't see many hunters that time of year however it will be tough without prior scouting. It's hard to see buck movement that time of year unless you get really close to bedding.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 am

Thanks for the replies! I will have a few days to scout first week of August. Sounds like they are on food patterns and will be close to bedding.
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 am

It caught my attention that MikePerry mentioned to you the 17th of Oct when action may begin to pickup. I have never hunted in that county, but have taken a couple nice bucks in Ohio on the exact same weekend as mentioned, maybe 45 miles away. Oct 16th was the date of both the bucks I took that particular weekend.

Good luck on your scouting and hunting!
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Good to know that your experience of the area is that there is relatively low pressure early in the season. Anyone have experience with preferred food source at this time? Acorns beat out other options?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:54 pm

I've hunted Ohio my entire life. Bucks will not move far from bedding early in the year. I'd scout some Topo maps and pick out the most likely bedding areas. Get as close as possible and be ready the last 45 minutes of light.
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 am

Thoughts on am hunts?
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 am

2 words : Bedding , Acorns
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 am

AM hunts early season can be tough. Even if you locate a bed I bet he will be back in it before shooting light. I've had luck hunting Oaks that are very close to bedding in the early season. A good food source that the deer still feel safe to be at during daylight.

One thing to look for is a wind switch at some point during the day. Try and set up on his route to the new bed once the wind switches.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm

MATexbow wrote:Good to know that your experience of the area is that there is relatively low pressure early in the season. Anyone have experience with preferred food source at this time? Acorns beat out other options?

I am in the next country over and have been finding good # of white oak acorns.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 pm

I do agree that early season on Public you won't have much competition. Good luck there are good bucks down there.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 am

Those areas are a shadow of what they once were but still pretty decent. A giant could turn up at any time. Difficult time of year there without intimate knowledge but you shouldn’t have much pressure at all. I say go for it and give it 3-4 years of hunting and scouting to really zone in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”