Non wind based bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Non wind based bedding

Unread postby Wild public » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 pm

I love this forum guys..I have learned so much about wind based bedding in hill country.and that’s what I primarily hunt..but in some of the discussions I hear Dan and others talk about bedding that is not wind based..I’m new and want to learn all that I can..can you guys give me some situations in which the mature deer may not be bedding with a specific wind? Is it very common? What factors come into play ? What type of terrain does it occur in? This may be a basic question ,but again I am new. I have only studied the hill country videos at this point but plan on getting all at some time. Thx in advance for any pointers.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Non wind based bedding

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 am

Wild public wrote:I love this forum guys..I have learned so much about wind based bedding in hill country.and that’s what I primarily hunt..but in some of the discussions I hear Dan and others talk about bedding that is not wind based..I’m new and want to learn all that I can..can you guys give me some situations in which the mature deer may not be bedding with a specific wind? Is it very common? What factors come into play ? What type of terrain does it occur in? This may be a basic question ,but again I am new. I have only studied the hill country videos at this point but plan on getting all at some time. Thx in advance for any pointers.

Beds that are within thicker cover where the buck has a sound advantage rather than a sight advantage. Think about cattails and thick swamps.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 am

In an area where the wind swirls, like the head of a draw, a buck will bed there on almost any wind. It is still wind based because he beds there due to swirling winds, but can be used on basically any wind. I found a spot like this yesterday with fresh beds and tracks, where four old log roads intersected on big woods public. Would be a great place for a buck to bed, especially during rut. I jumped a lone big deer in some thick stuff off a point about 200 yards away.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:45 am

Most non wind base bedding i have found are dry tree humps are out in water. You can probalby bet that there is very little non wind base bedding in hill country Some but not much. Other types would be big super thick areas in swamps, but alot of it is wind based as welll. So its easy to confuse. Most thick places i have seen non windbase bedding is in relation to hunter access the main defense was sound( im not saying its all like this). A big buck i jumped last year on a scout by on way to stand loction was bedded on the west end of a island point, the wind had been blowing from the west from sometime, thats not normal wind based bedding. The area had several humps but only one could suit him for beddingthat i found, i looked hard for more and didnt find any. He bedded with his head to the west, he looked to be facing north most of the time. He used an island he bedded up to as escape. This was all in 150 yards or so from a road he could hear easily from the east, and hear them park from the south east. With any kind of wind from South to north west he could smell any hunter that had walked past him to hunt back on a section most walked to. He just had advantages from multiple winds or advantages for hear or even see.

I know some beds i found just dont have any type advantages that i havent thought of yet but just plainly being some place that absoulty no one or thing just goes to that spot and they feel they can bed there anytime. The ones i see are mostly just lone beds i think this maybe a common theme as well there is just usally just one lone bed, or what ive seen. There will be several beast that will give some great info on this but this is what i see in ky mostly in ky, i be watching to see what others post :think:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Unread postby Wild public » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:18 am

Thanks to everyone for responding. The different scenarios mentioned make sense. Thx again
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

brancher147 wrote:In an area where the wind swirls, like the head of a draw, a buck will bed there on almost any wind. It is still wind based because he beds there due to swirling winds, but can be used on basically any wind. I found a spot like this yesterday with fresh beds and tracks, where four old log roads intersected on big woods public. Would be a great place for a buck to bed, especially during rut. I jumped a lone big deer in some thick stuff off a point about 200 yards away.

Do you have a topo map example of this?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

comeback_kid wrote:
brancher147 wrote:In an area where the wind swirls, like the head of a draw, a buck will bed there on almost any wind. It is still wind based because he beds there due to swirling winds, but can be used on basically any wind. I found a spot like this yesterday with fresh beds and tracks, where four old log roads intersected on big woods public. Would be a great place for a buck to bed, especially during rut. I jumped a lone big deer in some thick stuff off a point about 200 yards away.

Do you have a topo map example of this?

I don't have much luck posting pics on this site, but here goes. I have never hunted this spot but it looks like a good example. The red arrow would be bedding on what looks like a small point in the head of a draw. I see these spots more often on an east or south aspect during season just due to increased swirling winds with more active thermals. Most west or north sides I hunt are really steep and just don't get as much thermal activity as the east/south facing side. Our common winds are west (prevailing) north or south and any of those winds combined with thermals will cause swirling at the red arrow. Calm wind or east wind may not work as well for this spot.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 pm

brancher147 wrote:I don't have much luck posting pics on this site, but here goes. I have never hunted this spot but it looks like a good example. The red arrow would be bedding on what looks like a small point in the head of a draw. I see these spots more often on an east or south aspect during season just due to increased swirling winds with more active thermals. Most west or north sides I hunt are really steep and just don't get as much thermal activity as the east/south facing side. Our common winds are west (prevailing) north or south and any of those winds combined with thermals will cause swirling at the red arrow. Calm wind or east wind may not work as well for this spot.

I most likely would have overlooked a spot like that. Thanks for posting. When would you attempt to hunt it? Looks like it would be pretty hard to hunt the bed. Have to side hill in from one side or the other I would think.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Where I also see it is NE Ohio in farm country that is flat as a pancake the Amish will come in and clear cut the whole section of timber, the deer that are not bedding just inside the clear cut watching the food source and are much deeper in the timber will bed just about anywhere. Some of that bedding is not wind specific. The mature bucks will find some sort of slight change in that terrain to bed in tho, like a small creek or slight elevation change.
Persistence pays!!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I don't have much luck posting pics on this site, but here goes. I have never hunted this spot but it looks like a good example. The red arrow would be bedding on what looks like a small point in the head of a draw. I see these spots more often on an east or south aspect during season just due to increased swirling winds with more active thermals. Most west or north sides I hunt are really steep and just don't get as much thermal activity as the east/south facing side. Our common winds are west (prevailing) north or south and any of those winds combined with thermals will cause swirling at the red arrow. Calm wind or east wind may not work as well for this spot.

I most likely would have overlooked a spot like that. Thanks for posting. When would you attempt to hunt it? Looks like it would be pretty hard to hunt the bed. Have to side hill in from one side or the other I would think.

Yeah, I would probably side hill and setup off the main ridge to the north, especially if there were acorns there. Or wait until closer to rut and try to find easier to hunt doe bedding close by. If there was doe bedding on one of those flat points to the south maybe setup in between. On the east side where I see it, the timber is usually mature and very open, so the buck has a very good sight advantage also and it is really hard to get close. I haven't hunted these spots a lot, it is more of an observation I have seen of good, consistent buck bedding for most any wind in hill country/mountains. I do plan to hunt these more this year and in the future.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”