Hunting IN the thick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

flgahunter114

Re: Hunting IN the thick

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:18 am

bowfreak8 wrote:To me once you decide to go into the thick you have to get it done that day. If you don't the deer typically know you were there and move on. It' an aggressive move but sometimes is needed if you want a crack at a certain buck.

I agree. Like Dan says, you have to be where they are in daylight if you want a crack at one. Sometimes got to be aggressive to make it happen. I think you are on the right track being 30 to 40 tucked inside, especially since you seem to be in a travel corridor. Best of luck

Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 am

I’ve gotten multiple locations scouted for a trip I’m planning this fall, some fall into the super thick, some fall on the edges, some fall on terrain between Thick areas. My only worry about the locations in the thick are shot opportunities, but, in those particular areas I feel like it severely increases my chance of getting close to a mature deer. I’d rather have one in range during daylight and not get a shot off, then not have one in range at all.

So I think there are certain times an aggressive move like that has to be made, and other times where you can hang back and hunt that thick/open transition. To me, it all depends on the particular spot and the surrounding pressure!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:29 am

I have a ridge that is grown up in floral rose thorn bushes and I thought , nobody in their right mind would walk through those thorns. It's literally an acre hillside covered in thorns. I imagine it holds a lot of deer because human activity avoids it. However, you also have to consider how much scent you are leaving as you are running against brush going in...
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 am

Missionshooter wrote:I have a ridge that is grown up in floral rose thorn bushes and I thought , nobody in their right mind would walk through those thorns. It's literally an acre hillside covered in thorns. I imagine it holds a lot of deer because human activity avoids it. However, you also have to consider how much scent you are leaving as you are running against brush going in...

Scent and sound are entry concerns in areas this thick as well. My thought process on sound is to use natural occurrences (wind, rain, etc.) to aid in that and go SLOW. As far as scent, it’s risky but I most likely will only hunt a spot like this once a year. To me it’s like a hail marry, gonna pay off big time or not at all.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:34 pm

I've had a heck of a time IN the thick. I have shot some deer at close range on the ground, talking inside ten yards, IN the thick my deer sightings go way down and a lot of the spots I'm working through when doing this you can't even get an arrow through let alone stalk through there with an arrow nocked. Its fun though I'll continue to do it! My favorite is when theres a drizzle or 20 mph wind or a couple inches of fresh wet snow. anything to mask cover quiet your movements. Wind does crazy things in the thick though too. Ive had the milkweed go every direction and carry out a ways and turn 90 degrees then 30 seconds later drop some more and it goes the complete opposite direction and then come back to me and land at my feet. Maybe thats why I haven't seen an old buck doing this :think:
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:38 pm

I always go into the season with a plan for hunting many areas and a lot of the time I’m on some sort of transition but if that’s not working you cannot be afraid to make a move, be aggressive, nothing wrong with starting outside and moving in, like others have said you have to be where the bucks are to kill them. I’d rather make it happen than wait. So have lots of spots to hunt and don’t be afraid to do a little in season scouting and get aggressive if need be and make a move. I’ve had countless sits in 34 years that I didn’t kill or see what I’m looking for, so what’s one more.
Aim small miss small
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 am

To me if I’m hunting thick I’m doing whatever I have to to be able to get a shot else it’s all for nothing, I’m not sight seing . So if there’s no chance at a shot it’s senseless. I’ve got some land I hunt that is so thick it’s best to stay on the edge of it some of it you would be on hands and knees to get through. I’ve cleared certain areas at times . I personally don’t like being in such thick woods unless that’s the only option
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:28 am

Anymore, if I’m hunting in either on the edge of thick nasty bedding or daylight movement cover or I’m right inside it. One of my best spots is a 5 acre bedding drainage thicket near a road. It took me 2 seasons to properly learn my best entry under cover and while staying quiet. I set about 8ft off the ground and farthest shooting lane is maybe 30. If I hunted the edge of this piece instead of diving in, I would not have some of the awesome action I had right in the middle. I may have heard the bucks but would never see them
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:44 am

Sometimes you have to go for it. I would go in and hack shooting lanes and leave it until rut.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”