Looking for some feedback on my scouting video

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

Looking for some feedback on my scouting video

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 am

https://youtu.be/jG0ysYOAhiE

Did a litte scouting trip yesterday
Any feedback from guys regarding my maps or food sources I will gladly accept. I struggle getting it all down and pat the first time in. I always have to go back a second time and get the area locked down. I like to drop pins. Then boots on the ground then I switch over to dropping pins for what I'm seeing. I then go back and hit the map again and try to recap it all then the second time in I go and set my trees. What am I missing to get it down pat the first scout in.

Side note I'm not looking to become a youtuber I would suggest guys just keep a little journal as they go. When I found the one bed down to the dirt I missed the big banana shape until I watched the video back the I saw the banna shape and got the exact position he is there on. Just throw a little video clip in your phone when you find good stuff and watch it back

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Looking for some feedback on my scouting video

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 am

You hit it with the banana shape comment. When I find a bed, I don’t leave that bed until I have a good ideas of why and when. In my opinion it’s better to hang out there for 15 minutes rather than coming back again. If I’m really having trouble figuring it out I take a quick 360 video with my phone from the bed. I drop pins for the bed and exit trails.

I get excited about beds with distinct exit trails which also tells me it’s more apt to be primary bedding. I’m typically hunting a combo of farm and hill country. Based on the time of year I’ll make an educated guess of which exit trail for food, water, does, pressure. Hunt my way in with the sign.

If it’s not obvious to me if it’s doe or a primary buck bed a lot of time it boils down to cover and visibility.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 am

Looks like a cool spot. Sucks to hear they are removing your water in the area (i guess). The spot you found looks great. Looks like the deer has its own bedroom. Pretty well done video. I dont hunt that type of terrain but enjoyed it. Good job and way to get out there in July.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 am

[quote="Evanszach7"]You hit it with the banana shape comment. When I find a bed, I don’t leave that bed until I have a good ideas of why and when. In my opinion it’s better to hang out there for 15 minutes rather than coming back again. If I’m really having trouble figuring it out I take a quick 360 video with my phone from the bed. I drop pins for the bed and exit trails.

I get excited about beds with distinct exit trails which also tells me it’s more apt to be primary bedding. I’m typically hunting a combo of farm and hill country. Based on the time of year I’ll make an educated guess of which exit trail for food, water, does, pressure. Hunt my way in with the sign.

Thanks for the feedback...I think confidence is a big thing...I see good stuff mark it and think OK I may come back here bc it is a good spot but maybe not if I find something better
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:55 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Looks like a cool spot. Sucks to hear they are removing your water in the area (i guess). The spot you found looks great. Looks like the deer has its own bedroom. Pretty well done video. I dont hunt that type of terrain but enjoyed it. Good job and way to get out there in July.

Thanks DK.... I ampoking forward to low water this year it will give me a good chance to see where to walk next year....I also think most are to lazy to realise what is happening this year and won't bother trying over thereally bc historically it sees minimal pressure
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:53 pm

northeast beast wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:You hit it with the banana shape comment. When I find a bed, I don’t leave that bed until I have a good ideas of why and when. In my opinion it’s better to hang out there for 15 minutes rather than coming back again. If I’m really having trouble figuring it out I take a quick 360 video with my phone from the bed. I drop pins for the bed and exit trails.

Thanks for the feedback...I think confidence is a big thing...I see good stuff mark it and think OK I may come back here bc it is a good spot but maybe not if I find something better

Everybody starts out like that with the confidence and needing another look. The big thing with me was slowing way down. After a couple years of this you’ll easily have more beds than you know what to do with. Good video by the way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”