Its never right away but where to start?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Its never right away but where to start?

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am

Corsair7 wrote:I have been using Google Maps to organize the property, hunting and scouting data.

https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

You can create your own private map, create shapes, drop pins, way points, add notes and even pictures to whatever you drop on the map. Create multiple layers as well and then you can turn on and off the different layers. For example I have a layer with all private property, a layer with all public, I have layers by year for buck sightings, a layer for deer sign, bedding, rubs, scrapes, etc. and add notes to each pin/area I add. What is really convenient is that you can pull the map you created into your google maps on you smart phone. Haven't be able to edit the map from phone but maybe there is a way.

I would share what I have put together but that would be dumb. Currently have 17 different properties outlined and starting to drop pins on them collecting data. How I add the properties is through creating shapes and using free information on public properties, a lot of which are not shown on Google Maps. I also have onXmaps but really only use that for property boundaries and finding owners of private parcels I'm interested in. I think onXmaps has a similar thing on their site but you'll have to pay for it. Not entirely sure though.

Moving forward and getting into more detail, I plan on adding layers to the map for each wind direction. So I can filter based on the wind depending on the day and time. I am really new to the form and the HB style of hunting, thought I'd drop my .02 if interested. Think it will be a valuable tool for myself over the many years to come.

I need to learn these things on google earth how to separate like you say the private from the public
I'm on a trip right now but when I get home wed night I'm gonna start my game plan for the year

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 pm

To the original point of this thread just gonna be honest and say what I feel. In the perspective of automobiles I wouldn't take a mechanics advice from a guy who never worked on a car. There's something to be said for those who have taken big deer and those who repeat what others say with no insight of there own. My opinion is you adapt for what works for u and what doesn't. Putting your own twist on things so to speak that maximizes your skill skill set. Pawning other knowledge off as your own will often lead to major failure due to a change in circumstances. Reguardless follow your heart not your bank account and hunt for the right reasons.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:To the original point of this thread just gonna be honest and say what I feel. In the perspective of automobiles I wouldn't take a mechanics advice from a guy who never worked on a car. There's something to be said for those who have taken big deer and those who repeat what others say with no insight of there own. My opinion is you adapt for what works for u and what doesn't. Putting your own twist on things so to speak that maximizes your skill skill set. Pawning other knowledge off as your own will often lead to major failure due to a change in circumstances. Reguardless follow your heart not your bank account and hunt for the right reasons.

This is why I shy away from giving advice on mature bucks. :lol:
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Totally agree on making it your own style.....Borrow what works and leave the rest. Good ex. is trail cams. Even if I had the $$, I would not want 20 cameras to keep track of( and working :lol: ). A couple is fine for me. We watch and listen to some of the major players on here and want to have their setups and their results....we are not them.I like where I'm at. I'm one of the starving deer hunters out there, but last year (my first as a bowguy) was awesome building up to this year. More experience, more intel, more attitude(good), more readiness. Seasons onlr 1 1/2 months out...look out.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:To the original point of this thread just gonna be honest and say what I feel. In the perspective of automobiles I wouldn't take a mechanics advice from a guy who never worked on a car. There's something to be said for those who have taken big deer and those who repeat what others say with no insight of there own. My opinion is you adapt for what works for u and what doesn't. Putting your own twist on things so to speak that maximizes your skill skill set. Pawning other knowledge off as your own will often lead to major failure due to a change in circumstances. Reguardless follow your heart not your bank account and hunt for the right reasons.

Wow boogie Okay ill take that as advice bro
kmwssp

Unread postby kmwssp » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:25 pm

:clap:

:clap:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am

Just relax and have fun.

If you are the analytical type then the notes and record keeping may be for you, if not, don’t sweat it, just do you.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”