Texas Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Texas Hunt

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm thinking about next season trying to put together a Tx hunt and seeing if anyone might be interested. I have a place in mind and there's numerous 170" class bucks that have been taken. Believe you can shoot up to 4 deer, 2 doe and 2 bucks. (Antler restrictions apply) also any weapon is legal.

I personally wouldn't be taking this trip to serious, I have been longing for that deer camp experience I had as a kid. You know the busting each other's chops, tall tales around the campfire etc... But you can be as hardcore as u want, there's monsters lurking out there. Use any weapon u wish and shoot any legal animal u so desire. Be nothing but high fives and congrats at camp. Would like to maybe make it a annual event, even bring the kiddos. Kinda looking for a way to get back to what hunting was supposed to be if anyone is interested.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JakeB
500 Club

Re: Texas Hunt

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 pm

What part of Texas? If it’s close to LA and the timing works out I may be interested. I work shift work and have a pregnant wife so I can’t promise anything this year though. I’d love to wack a out of state doe with my recurve.

Non-resident deer tags are pretty reasonable in TX aren’t they?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 pm

JakeB wrote:What part of Texas? If it’s close to LA and the timing works out I may be interested. I work shift work and have a pregnant wife so I can’t promise anything this year though. I’d love to wack a out of state doe with my recurve.

Non-resident deer tags are pretty reasonable in TX aren’t they?

I'm not looking to do it this season was planning for next. With some spring scouting this year. Tx non resident tags are among the cheapest. Was thinking of trying the DC national forest, it's got good deer, healthy population and its huge in size.
-John Wayne-
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:55 pm

I gotcha, looks like it’s about 5.5 hr drive for me, that’s doable. Keep us posted.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Cant say Texas has been on my radar to hunt but a change of scenery is always healthy for the hunting soul.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:35 am

Sounds fun for sure!
Went on a 4-day 2007 hunt in Mobette, 12-guys only, everyone tagged out.!
My Buddy shot the biggest (just under 150")- I shot the smallest ( just over 90") :oops:

LOL - In my defense I had watched a great thick horned buck around mid 130's raking a tree for 10 minutes w/o a clean shot.
Next thing I know he chases a Doe past me at about 40 MPH!
2-minutes later, and out of the corner of my eye, I see a deer about 300-yards away hopping over the back high tall grass w/ every leap...
He's gonna come close to me I'm thinkin'!!!

Still running I whistled!
Then yelled Hey!!
Then screamed Heeeyyyy, he wasn't stopping...!!!

Now I'm just focusing on re-positioning myself to the right hand shot and watching his path to me, veerrryyy slowly.
Once in position I plan a running shot @ 70-80 yards.
Bamm!
Hit him hard in the chest, he stops, he turns to me, takes a few steps, and my mind say's - THAT'S NOT THE 10--POINTER :violin:
I most certainly added some words that I just can't type...
For the following 2.5- days Iwas picked on for blowing my load (.270) on 1.5 year old - OOOO WEEELLL

As a moral of this story and BIG Excuse:
If you peek @ my sig you'll find I'm from NH / NorthEast...
WE don't have bucks chasing bucks around here because there's like, 51 bucks, in the whole state of NH :whistle:

You thinking of camping?
What potential dates would you consider?
If I recall correctly we went 3rd week in November... just before rut
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 am

I may be interested! Grew up in Texas and have been trying to encourage my Dad to pick up public hunting by bringing him up to MA and showing him the ropes the last few seasons.
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm really interested in this. What kind of date would you be looking at?
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm

I doubt it's in the cards for me THIS year, but very intriqued by the idea, and would certainly love to participate. Subscribed to thread and would love to meet other beast members and like minded hunters.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:49 pm

blackwidow wrote:I'm really interested in this. What kind of date would you be looking at?

The place I have in mind I've never hunted. So going in blind is not my strong point, my thoughts right now is going out there this feb to scout, shed hunt, do a fish fry maybe some hog hunting etc... I'm choosing this spot only due to caliber bucks harvested, healthy population of deer and large acerage, But would be more than happy to go anywhere that would be easier on folks. I just honestly miss that old deer camp feel and would like to spend some woods time with quality folks.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”