Mercy, or Mother Nature?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

You find a dieing buck on your way in to hunt;

Do you show mercy, and shoot and place your only tag on him?
81%
Do you walk on by, and let Mother Nature do its thing?
19%

Total votes: 32
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Mercy, or Mother Nature?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am

First off, let me say that ever since I was a child, I have very much loved the whitetail, far before I became a hunter. An awesome creature!

I was recently listening to a podcast, and the Hunter that was speaking told of how he was on his way out in search of a very large buck, when he came across an old dying Buck lying on the ground. By the looks and sounds of it, the buck was not far off from death.
This hunter, using his only tag, decided to put the deer out of its misery and arrowed it, ending his season.

I've never been presented with the situation in the woods, but thinking about it, I'm not sure I would do the same thing. There's a few reasons why....

First, this deer was just experiencing the natural end of life for a deer. It happens every day in the woods, we're just usually not around to see it. That animal laying there, had it not been stumbled across, would have died and become food for nature.

Secondly, I hunt for meat first. And I want fresh, healthy meat. I don't know as though I would be able to eat an animal that I just came across lying on the ground, dying of who-knows-what. Being an animal dying of old age, is the meat any good, or is it stringy and tough?
Is it dying of an illness, some kind of disease?
Or was it a wounded animal, and its insides are so filled with infection that it's finally about to meet its demise?
I would much rather eat an animal that's healthy and leaping around through the woods.

And finally, I practice and prepare all off- season long to hunt. That's why I'm in those woods, to try to wrap my tag on the biggest, healthiest, strongest beast I can put my arrow in. I know it might sound selfish, but I wouldn't find any satisfaction in shooting an almost dead animal.

But what about you, what would you do in the situation, would you show mercy, or would you let mother nature take its course?

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
perchsoup

Re: Mercy, or Mother Nature?

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am

I would put it out of it's misery. If needed, call the DNR to show them the situation and see if they'd let me get a carcass tag to keep the meat and not put my hunting tag on it.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am

perchsoup wrote:I would put it out of it's misery. If needed, call the DNR to show them the situation and see if they'd let me get a carcass tag to keep the meat and not put my hunting tag on it.

My thoughts exactly

I would want to do what is correct for the animal and stop its suffering. If DNR stated I need to tag it, so be it
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:40 am

I agree with the above comments....

If a deer is obviously suffering I could never walk past and look the other way. I believe it is our duty as hunters to do the right thing and if that means using my only tag so be it.

Tag it first and if you suspect disease or the meat may be bad discuss it with the DNR and let them decide if you can get a replacement tag.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:44 am

I would put the animal down. I would not burn my tag.

I ran into this real life situation years ago when I was rifle hunting. A doe, with guts hanging out came by me. I did not have a doe tag so I didnt shoot. I later helped the hunter who shot the deer put it down.
I can tell you it was painful and made me sick letting that deer go but I thought I was doing what was right. I now know that sometimes there is a difference between what is legal and what is right. I vowed to do what was right in the future.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:09 am

magicman54494 wrote:I would put the animal down. I would not burn my tag.

I ran into this real life situation years ago when I was rifle hunting. A doe, with guts hanging out came by me. I did not have a doe tag so I didnt shoot. I later helped the hunter who shot the deer put it down.
I can tell you it was painful and made me sick letting that deer go but I thought I was doing what was right. I now know that sometimes there is a difference between what is legal and what is right. I vowed to do what was right in the future.

As usual magic, I totally agree with you. I’ve shot a couple wounded deer that I would’ve otherwise passed on during gun hunting. I tagged one and let another tag the other. I hate to see an animal with its guts hanging out or his leg totally useless. Pretty sure dan has a video somewhere of him killing a small buck that was wounded.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 am

That’s what scavengers are for. They have to eat too. I don’t think I would use my tag
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 am

Isn’t that poaching if you kill a deer and let it lay?

Sure you did the right thing in your eyes but not in the eyes of the law. There would be a pretty lengthy list of tickets you would get if caught.

I would not take that chance so I would claim the kill as mine. Just my thoughts. Don’t expect anyone to agree.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:29 am

Tough call, thanks for bringing it to attention.

If it was clearly dying, I would put it down. I would try get a carcass tag from DNR. Do whats right, and lawful.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:46 am

I wouldn't hesitate to put the deer out of his misery. Wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew I walked away from that opportunity and let the animal suffer even though I know it happens every day. I've put deer out of their misery that has had their jaw hanging down from people trying a headshot or guts spilled out from a graze wound. If I can get the DNR involved for a carcass tag, great! If not, then I guess it is what it is. There's no guarantee that by walking past that buck dying that I'm going to get that target buck I may be going after. Either way, absolutely no hesitation from me.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 am

Dewey wrote:Isn’t that poaching if you kill a deer and let it lay?

Sure you did the right thing in your eyes but not in the eyes of the law. There would be a pretty lengthy list of tickets you would get if caught.

I would not take that chance so I would claim the kill as mine. Just my thoughts. Don’t expect anyone to agree.

As long as we are playing what if, what if this happens in iowa after $900 and 4 years waiting? what if they dont give you a replacement tag and 4 years later it happens again?

bottom line, im not going to let an animal suffer and if you want to ticket me you will just have to do it. it is not my job to give up my tag because a deer is hurt. I do believe it is my responsibility as a sportsman to show compassion.

do you exceed the speed limit in your car? do you forget to use your signal lights? do you report the $5 bet you won on your income taxes? we all make judgement calls...some dont want to admit it.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am

I would put the animal down.

If it was in Iowa I would probably react differently if I'm being honest.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:05 am

I would end the animals suffering, and I wouldnt burn my tag. I dont care much about the letter of the law just for the sake of following it and would deal with the consequences if need be. But the right thing to do for me is end the animals suffering but I see no reason to end the season because of it.
Make It Happen
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am

I would put the deer down.

The situation would dictate what I would do and whether or not I would tag it/call it in/leave it lay.

I found a deer a long time ago that had been hit by a car and hip or back legs were broke. It had been suffering in a corn field for probably a week or two (before we had tons of coyotes) and was skin and bones. Killed it on the spot, called the local police and they said thank you for putting it down, a call is all they needed and never heard a thing about it again. If that was a 180" buck that was hit that day, it would have been a different story. Every situation is different but 99 times out of a 100 I'm putting a fatally injured deer down.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am

Dewey wrote:Isn’t that poaching if you kill a deer and let it lay?

Depends what your definition of poaching is. Laws are put in place by beurocrats. It doesn't mean they are always right. Many are dumb and do nothing more than strip our freedoms. I don't believe morals and laws always match up. If I ran into a dying deer, I would kill it as I feel it's morally the correct thing to do. If I know this deer is dying, I'm not eating it as I wouldnt feel safe, so no way am I burning my tag on it. Its food for the scavengers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”