Bust a move!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Bust a move!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Sitting here bored on my 12 HR graveyard I started thinking about all the big blunders I have had in the deer woods. Believe a lot of my best ones were from failure to Bust a Move!

Those little reaction micro moves can make all the difference in the world. I remember when I first started out I had my ole faithful 1 preset hang on and I watched everyday deer enter the property from the corner of a fence 150 yards away. The thought of moving to where the action was never crossed my mind. Don't know if it was pride in my chosen spot, stupidity or just laziness.

Another time I was sitting in a rut pinch and shortly after daylight a doe passed by 50 yards away. 10 min later a buck comes grunting down her trail. Then shortly after another, then another. All said and done I watched 8 diff bucks follow that does hot trail and I could have had the majority of them if I would have just realized the importance of Busting a Move!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Re: Bust a move!

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm

It works. You gotta be where the action is especially during the rut. I killed my largest buck after making a small move when noticing the action was outside my range. A few seasons ago in Iowa I moved 3 times in a hunt to position myself for an eventual kill later that day. I can go on and on with stories like that where moving during a hunt put me in position for a kill on a great buck. Many times the hunt ended without a shot but regardless I was in the game which I wouldn’t have been before the move.

Most guys aren’t willing to be that aggresive and just choose to wait it out where they are. If I see action happening during the rut outside my shot zone you can bet I will be moving. I have watched too many hot does come thru a distance away later followed by a parade of bucks down the exact trail later as I watched helplessly. Never again. Like you said Boogie gotta bust a move.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Sure screwed myself a few times due to indecision. Especially on blind morning hunts in new areas. Sun finally breaks and I'm sitting there thinking dang I need to be over there, but afraid I'll blow something out moving only to have the deer walk right into the spot I should be in. Only since joining the beast have I started getting aggressive. Not to say I haven't blown some hunts, but man is it fun to be in the game instead of sitting on the sidelines kicking myself.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 am

I would rather spend a half hour in the right spot then all day out of the ball game. Do I bump deer? Yes. Do i fail? Absolutely. But I would rather do both than to see one walk by out of range if i had the chance and intel to move.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 am

Do you ever try to find excuses on why you shouldn't move your stand? Usually my best excuse is being too tired And not wanting to go through the trouble and noise and effort. My best advice about if you are contemplating making a move is to listen to your instincts and follow them! Make the move as quickly and quietly as possible, before you get comfortable. We can greatly improve our odds by observing and then making it happen. Just remember we hunt in mobile setups for exactly this reason, to stay mobile!

I've gone in to a set and made a kill after being in the right spot out of the gates. I've also made secondary moves and made kills. On the last day of the season in 2015, I did a lot of walking and climbing. I moved 3 times then killed a buck after I finally setup where I needed to be. Point being, never settle if it's not perfect and gives you confidence that you can get it done there.

My question to everyone reading this post is, Have you ever regretted moving your setup after your gut says "you need to be in that tree over there." ???

I can't say I ever have, every time I've busted a move its been an improvement. I also can't remember a time where I made a move in daylight and bumped deer.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm

It has cost me many times in past. More than I like. Lot of times my reason is I'm already setup. Everything has settled down. Maybe I should stay right here. Then not long after that well, I should had moved.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Do you ever try to find excuses on why you shouldn't move your stand? Usually my best excuse is being too tired And not wanting to go through the trouble and noise and effort. My best advice about if you are contemplating making a move is to listen to your instincts and follow them! Make the move as quickly and quietly as possible, before you get comfortable. We can greatly improve our odds by observing and then making it happen. Just remember we hunt in mobile setups for exactly this reason, to stay mobile!

I've gone in to a set and made a kill after being in the right spot out of the gates. I've also made secondary moves and made kills. On the last day of the season in 2015, I did a lot of walking and climbing. I moved 3 times then killed a buck after I finally setup where I needed to be. Point being, never settle if it's not perfect and gives you confidence that you can get it done there.

My question to everyone reading this post is, Have you ever regretted moving your setup after your gut says "you need to be in that tree over there." ???

I can't say I ever have, every time I've busted a move its been an improvement. I also can't remember a time where I made a move in daylight and bumped deer.

I used to make excuses for not moving all the time, I think after u get that first taste of success from a reaction move it makes things a lot easier. Also, and I could be wrong here. But I believe after 4 or 5 all day hunts your predator instincts are a lot stronger. Seems I am in tune with the woods and have a feel for what's gonna happen b4 it actually does.

I don't recall ever bumping deer while busting a quick move nor having it come back and bite me. But I do remember a whole lot of times I refused to move and it proved to be a ignorant decision. Now days when I know I need to be over there, I cut bait and bust a move!
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:Do you ever try to find excuses on why you shouldn't move your stand? Usually my best excuse is being too tired And not wanting to go through the trouble and noise and effort. My best advice about if you are contemplating making a move is to listen to your instincts and follow them! Make the move as quickly and quietly as possible, before you get comfortable. We can greatly improve our odds by observing and then making it happen. Just remember we hunt in mobile setups for exactly this reason, to stay mobile!

I used to make excuses for not moving all the time, I think after u get that first taste of success from a reaction move it makes things a lot easier. Also, and I could be wrong here. But I believe after 4 or 5 all day hunts your predator instincts are a lot stronger. Seems I am in tune with the woods and have a feel for what's gonna happen b4 it actually does.

I don't recall ever bumping deer while busting a quick move nor having it come back and bite me. But I do remember a whole lot of times I refused to move and it proved to be a ignorant decision. Now days when I know I need to be over there, I cut bait and bust a move!

Well said on a great thread!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm

I don't hesitate to move, if I feel it is necessary. In the case of a wind switch betraying me or if the thermals overpower the wind (lack thereof) I'm gone to another spot. I've killed bucks by circling in front of them, after seeing them from my stand, as well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:

Your right on with your thinking. Once you get that instinct you never regret making a move. If I don’t move I always regret it. I now listen to my gut feeling because it’s almost always correct. Trusting it is really hard to do at first but we need to believe in the instinct we all have as hunters. It’s there just waiting to be used.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Dewey wrote:It works. You gotta be where the action is especially during the rut. I killed my largest buck after making a small move when noticing the action was outside my range. A few seasons ago in Iowa I moved 3 times in a hunt to position myself for an eventual kill later that day. I can go on and on with stories like that where moving during a hunt put me in position for a kill on a great buck. Many times the hunt ended without a shot but regardless I was in the game which I wouldn’t have been before the move.

Most guys aren’t willing to be that aggresive and just choose to wait it out where they are. If I see action happening during the rut outside my shot zone you can bet I will be moving. I have watched too many hot does come thru a distance away later followed by a parade of bucks down the exact trail later as I watched helplessly. Never again. Like you said Boogie gotta bust a move.

Wow! That Iowa buck is a heck of a story. I bet a hunt like that is very rewarding and the ultimate in satisfaction as you look into the mounts eyes and relive the hunt. One wrong move it would have been a tag on your wall instead of a buck. Just awesome, great buck. Well done
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:It works. You gotta be where the action is especially during the rut. I killed my largest buck after making a small move when noticing the action was outside my range. A few seasons ago in Iowa I moved 3 times in a hunt to position myself for an eventual kill later that day. I can go on and on with stories like that where moving during a hunt put me in position for a kill on a great buck. Many times the hunt ended without a shot but regardless I was in the game which I wouldn’t have been before the move.

Wow! That Iowa buck is a heck of a story. I bet a hunt like that is very rewarding and the ultimate in satisfaction as you look into the mounts eyes and relive the hunt. One wrong move it would have been a tag on your wall instead of a buck. Just awesome, great buck. Well done

Thanks. That was a very satisfying kill. Like I mentioned in the story it happened only because of all the hill country help I got from so many here. During that hunt I was on the Live From Stand The Thread that morning discussing what to do after watching movement higher up the ridge in the thermal tunnel. While BigHunt was suggesting I move further up the ridge I was already on my way. :lol: Been down that road before so I knew I had to bust a move. My final and third move of the hunt was due to a slight wind switch later that afternoon and that ended up being the key to my kill. If your interested in the Live thread check out Live From The Stand 2016. (November 3rd) I enjoy going back to those posts and enjoying the hunt all over again.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Saved you some trouble Boogie. Here is the start of my hunt on this thread. (Page 170) or go a few pages earlier if you want to read about how I didn’t trust my gut and bust a move on a different buck. :doh:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36360

Had problems finding it......some joker decided to change the title to Live From The Field. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Ha! That's to cool. Bet that is fun to look back on and remember what you were thinking with each move of the chess pieces. Now that's what I call bustin a move!
-John Wayne-
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm really lucky because my father was always a mobile a hunter so I knew nothing else growing. Now he's not a bed hunter but has killed a lot of nice deer just by being mobile. It always blew my mind that people would have one or two spots and that's it. I don't always make big moves but I do move a little almost every sit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”