Youth hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Youth hunting.

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Well this marks the first year for my son to be able to youth hunt. We have been shooting his 20 gadge alot, (3 bucks a trigger pull :? ) now it's up to me to find him a buck, the rest is on him :dance:. Under two months to go for him and I'm as excited as he is. Good luck this year!!

Jackson Marsh

Re: Youth hunting.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 am

Good luck to your son IW!

That's some expensive target practice :lol:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am

Wow! Three bucks a round! :shock:

Good luck out there.
My question for you, and others who take out their kids;
Do you put your child in one of your scouted spots you are planning to hunt at some point, or do they get a spot of their own, maybe less challenging terrain features or easier accessibility?
Do you get close to bedding at all, or stick to field edges?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 am

That's Awesome. Start them young, they are the future.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:09 am

This my 1st year with youth hunting whitetail as well. I'm really in a quandary as I'm very limited on ground and I have 3 kids. My hope is that they wont care what they shoot, because then it makes it SOOO much easier to find a quick doe dump. As it stands I'm putting a lot of eggs into clover/grass pastures and hoping for something brown. Those are the easiest places to take kids and they're less intrusive.

Good luck IW, kids are worth it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Wow! Three bucks a round! :shock:

Good luck out there.
Do you put your child in one of your scouted spots you are planning to hunt at some point, or do they get a spot of their own, maybe less challenging terrain features or easier accessibility?

Call me crazy but I'm going after the biggest one I can find. With him old enough I could care less if I ever shoot one again. Ok that's a lie but you know what I mean!!
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 am

muddy wrote:This my 1st year with youth hunting whitetail as well. I'm really in a quandary as I'm very limited on ground and I have 3 kids. My hope is that they wont care what they shoot, because then it makes it SOOO much easier to find a quick doe dump. As it stands I'm putting a lot of eggs into clover/grass pastures and hoping for something brown. Those are the easiest places to take kids and they're less intrusive.

Good luck IW, kids are worth it.

They are worth it. Good luck the land thing is tough.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 am

Good luck out there.

Depends. How sucky is the walk in? I’d take a kid to an easier bed hunt, but no way would I take them 3 miles deep into an abyss for their first couple of hunts. You want them to see deer, but don’t want them to think deer hunting is miserable work with few sightings.

Kids are like starting a fire. Each one is different, but we can all agree that smothering a fire right away will kill it from growing. Up to you to decide how much gas you need on the fire, but too much creates a bad situation.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am

Jonny wrote:

Good luck out there.

Depends. How sucky is the walk in? I’d take a kid to an easier bed hunt, but no way would I take them 3 miles deep into an abyss for their first couple of hunts. You want them to see deer, but don’t want them to think deer hunting is miserable work with few sightings.

Kids are like starting a fire. Each one is different, but we can all agree that smothering a fire right away will kill it from growing. Up to you to decide how much gas you need on the fire, but too much creates a bad situation.

Spot on analogy.

My daughter started tagging along at 7. Kept it short and easy on the ground. Asked for a bow at 8. Watched me scout “my spots”- hill country online. Asked to tag along on one of those. We do a lot of shed hunting and scouting with the dog so she pretty much knew what to expect. Asked for a tree stand at 9. Took her on 1/2 dozen where I carried both stands and she carried the bow. Using my jon boat got us deeper in while keeping walks fairly short. Shot my buddies crossbow this past weekend. Guess what she wants for her 10th in 2 weeks... oh, and apparently a 410 for Christmas to chase gobblers in the Spring. Beast in the making :D very good thing my wife is a native MI girl. Her friends here think I’m off the reservation!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”