2018 Iowa public trip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Re: 2018 Iowa public trip

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:49 pm

feutza wrote:
bigbuckhunter88 wrote:
feutza wrote:
Dewey wrote:Congrats on the tags. Get over there and put in the time scouting and you will be rewarded.

Any tips you have since I believe you went last year

Good luck on the trip. That area is home to me. If you have any questions, recommendations on restaurants, or anything let me know. It is an amazing area with great potential

I will maybe could meet up one night for a beer

I'd be game.

mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:57 am

Ill be out there this year also on public land. Cant wait zone 3 planning first week of Nov will stay longer if necessary.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:59 am

Congrats on the draw. I'll be in zone 9 this year, probably November. Maybe we'll see you around!
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Congrats on drawing. Hope to see a sweet picture this fall!
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:41 am

Nothing like hill country bucks! Ticks are bad this year have the permethrin ready.
hokiehunter06

Unread postby hokiehunter06 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:24 am

My Dad, a friend, and I will be going out most likely in 2020 from VA. We've got 2 points each right now. Hoping to do a turkey hunt next spring (2019) and scout some and make a quick trip out to scout summer 2020. Contemplating the doe hunt end of December just to see the area and get our feet wet. The whole concept of zones and so many different seasons and regs for deer and turkey and non-residents is a bit confusing. Most likely will have a few calls with the biologists and WMA managers just to make sure we're legal and headed to some productive spots.

After that trip, I'm thinking about a KY early season hunt, since VA's archery season doesn't come in until first Saturday in October.
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:22 pm

So looking for some opinions. Me and my buddy are hunting in Iowa in zone 9 and we are wondering what people in past had for better deer movement. Are dates are either October 27-4 or November 2-10. I noticed early muzzle loader ends October 21 so not sure if that gets a lot of pressure and maybe be better off leaving the nov 2. Thanks in advanced
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 am

feutza wrote:So looking for some opinions. Me and my buddy are hunting in Iowa in zone 9 and we are wondering what people in past had for better deer movement. Are dates are either October 27-4 or November 2-10. I noticed early muzzle loader ends October 21 so not sure if that gets a lot of pressure and maybe be better off leaving the nov 2. Thanks in advanced

Pretty sure Dewey and Jackson marsh both mentioned that late October was less pressure than early November. At least that’s when I would try to go since it seems like everybody takes off in november
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:18 am

feutza wrote:Well after 4 years of waiting me and a buddy will be going to Iowa to hunt public. We are pretty excited. I have to start looking at took and will do trips to scout :L:

Good luck. Hope y'all get a couple big ones.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 am

Jonny wrote:
feutza wrote:So looking for some opinions. Me and my buddy are hunting in Iowa in zone 9 and we are wondering what people in past had for better deer movement. Are dates are either October 27-4 or November 2-10. I noticed early muzzle loader ends October 21 so not sure if that gets a lot of pressure and maybe be better off leaving the nov 2. Thanks in advanced

Pretty sure Dewey and Jackson marsh both mentioned that late October was less pressure than early November. At least that’s when I would try to go since it seems like everybody takes off in november

This past season was the first time I have hunted in October in Iowa, pressure is definitely lower by out of state hunters on public. If you have to limit it to one time frame I would go with your dates of Nov 2-10, and maybe try to sneak in a couple of weekend hunts in late October. Also depends on how well you know the areas you are hunting, bedding etc...
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks for the opinions we are going to go at least one time in October but that will probably be it. I was kinda leaning towards leaving November 2 as well
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Last week in October or 2nd week in November. Lots of guys up here using their vacation that first week of November which increases pressure which can hurt hunting or help it depending if you have an idea they will get pushed to.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:32 am

Good luck! Can't believe what IA charges for Non-resident tags... Definitely nothing I will ever be able to pull off.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:26 am

feutza wrote:Thanks for the opinions we are going to go at least one time in October but that will probably be it. I was kinda leaning towards leaving November 2 as well

Some people swear by the last week in October. For me, I see lots of chasing/rut activity Nov 2-12. The week of Thanksgiving can be good for big bucks searching for the rare doe that is in estrous. Two of my better bow bucks were killed the last week of November.

Someone mentioned having a couple of different areas scouted, which I would strongly encourage. I hunt a couple of places that are maybe 15 miles apart. One might be dead while the other is hot with action. If you aren't seeing activity, move.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:03 am

UntouchableNess wrote:
feutza wrote:Thanks for the opinions we are going to go at least one time in October but that will probably be it. I was kinda leaning towards leaving November 2 as well

Some people swear by the last week in October. For me, I see lots of chasing/rut activity Nov 2-12. The week of Thanksgiving can be good for big bucks searching for the rare doe that is in estrous. Two of my better bow bucks were killed the last week of November.

Someone mentioned having a couple of different areas scouted, which I would strongly encourage. I hunt a couple of places that are maybe 15 miles apart. One might be dead while the other is hot with action. If you aren't seeing activity, move.

I echo having multiple spots and definitely dont count out a return trip in late November. Many of my best hunts and best bucks come the last 2 weeks of November with less pressure and mature bucks really looking for the last does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”