Standing Corn from the Ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Standing Corn from the Ground

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:25 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
Babshaft wrote:Awesome thread, and thanks for sharing that again Lockdown. I was trying to find that picture in the ground hunting thread. Hopefully this isn’t too off topic.

I’m finding that the deer tend to travel around the edge of the cornfields but I’m having a tough time figuring out where they bed around them. On the few private farms I hunt on I’ve found it difficult to locate primary bedding. I’ve checked as many thick and wet spots as I can and find bedding but nothing that shows lots of consistent use by mature bucks. In fact, I only start to see the bucks on camera in late October. I’m guessing I have does bedding in the area but I find it difficult to pinpoint exactly where they are. Any advice on finding doe or buck bedding? Will the does bed in the standing corn consistently? Any chance I could intercept bucks by setting up in the corn or will I be too far back and out of the game?

I’m really hoping this farm bedding DVD is out soon and sets me straight.

Hey Babs, I'm sure more info on this will come out in the farm DVD but JoeRE, RR7 and Dan were just talking about this on the most recent W2H podcast. They observed deer being slightly more "nomadic" on farms, meaning the bedding is not as well defined and can be in some odd places outside of the typical thick/wet spots most of us look for. Give it a listen, I dont want to butcher what they said trying to reiterate it.

I live in hard core row crop country and I struggle with seeing consistent bed use. They’re there one day gone the next. More often than not. My area is super low pressure though so there are lots of safe options for them.

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
Hey Babs, I'm sure more info on this will come out in the farm DVD but JoeRE, RR7 and Dan were just talking about this on the most recent W2H podcast. They observed deer being slightly more "nomadic" on farms, meaning the bedding is not as well defined and can be in some odd places outside of the typical thick/wet spots most of us look for. Give it a listen, I dont want to butcher what they said trying to reiterate it.

Awesome man, I just downloaded that podcast this morning. Really excited to listen to it now. Thanks man.

Lockdown wrote:
I live in hard core row crop country and I struggle with seeing consistent bed use. They’re there one day gone the next. More often than not. My area is super low pressure though so there are lots of safe options for them.

Thanks man. You've been a massive help in a ton of threads. It's really appreciated.

Cheers!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”