Buying property !!!!....... Well maybe not.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grant

Re: Buying property !!!!....... Well maybe not.

Unread postby Grant » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am

Just make sure you're buying for a "fair" price (i.e. You can sell it for around what you bought it for), and then you can always drop it if it's not your thing. I love owning land, it's the best purchase I've ever made (and still continue to pay for :shock: ), but I got it for a good price and have made improvements, so if I needed to sell it, I'd make my money back. And I've enjoyed hunting and working it in the meantime, so it's been very positive.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 pm

I wouldnt mind having 20 acres in Montana surrounded by a bunch of BLM land. :L:
Make It Happen
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:16 am

This is timely for me as I just spent the day shopping around for property. Like a house, you don’t start out with a mansion. You start with a smaller piece, make some enhancements, kill a couple good deer and sell it to buy the next one. People need to remember this. 30% down is the average on vacant land. Financing $28,000 comes out to about $200 a month. How much people spend on leases? That money could go towards their own slice of heaven.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 am

I thought about buying just a couple acres and planting black walnut for future investment but unsure of the return I'd get. I won't buy land for hunting until I can live on it. Too much risk dealing with trespassers if I'm not there to police it.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:00 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I thought about buying just a couple acres and planting black walnut for future investment but unsure of the return I'd get. I won't buy land for hunting until I can live on it. Too much risk dealing with trespassers if I'm not there to police it.

I've thought about this too just dont live in the right area
Make It Happen
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I thought about buying just a couple acres and planting black walnut for future investment but unsure of the return I'd get. I won't buy land for hunting until I can live on it. Too much risk dealing with trespassers if I'm not there to police it.

My wife n I have been discussing selling our current home n down sizing. The kids are almost out so we don't need anything big. Smaller house n more land.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

I currently own 170 acres with my 2 brothers. We are doing everything that we can to enhance the ground and make it a good place to hunt, especially for my nieces and if I have any kids in the future. For me, that was the selling point. I always wanted a place of my own to have a cabin and take kids to and have easy places for them to hunt when they are young. It's a great feeling having a nice place, but it does take a lot of work. I hunt both private and public, and both places take equal amounts of work, just different kinds of work.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 am

I've been looking for the past few years with my father in law as well. Although I hunt mostly public, it would be nice to have a place to let my wife, FIL, future kids, etc hunt. I grew up hunting with a camp mentality, and the camaraderie is a part of the sport that I enjoy. The problem is in NY the taxes are absurd and quality ground in a very pressured state is hard to come by. Ideally, we'll find a place with some tillable in one of the two general areas I hunt public in now. The benefits to me are having a place to stay closer to where I hunt, and being able to spend quality time with the family. They won't follow me to most of the places I hunt now.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 am

oldrank wrote:I have this on going battle in my head every year or so. I convince myself I am going to buy some land. I get all pumped about it and start looking. Than it hits me... I can only afford maybe 20 acres around here, or maybe I find 50 acres or 100 acres further north. That seems so small to me and I give up. I just think I would feel to boxed in because I am used to hunting 1000s of acres. Anyone else have this inner struggle? Has anyone bought land and felt this way after?

I'm getting older. I really just want to have a good place to hunt for when I retire. What do you guys think is solid minimum acreage to not feel closed in?

I am used to hunting big public pieces so it would be hard to be " fenced in "
I feel the same as you. If you do own, you can enjoy managing whatever many acres you have. playing with the land would be the enjoyment for me.
the key for me would be location. I would search real hard for that piece that had good food and more importantly, good bedding. The right place, properly managed, could be a gold mine!
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 am

I really enjoy watching deer hit plots I've planted or utilizing travel corridors I've created on my ground. I created 2 travel corridors in Feb of 2015 that converged at a stand site. Fast forward 9 months to the night before gun season and lo and behold I have a big 10 heading right down one of the corridors. Fortunately, (I say fortunate because I killed him last fall when he was much bigger, lol), he either smelled me or saw me reach for my bow through very thick brush and turned around. 30 minutes later an equally large but different buck came down the other corridor I created and I arrowed him. Nothing quite like killing a big boy on your own ground....for me anyway.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 am

I had two 45-acre leases at one time.

The wooded parcel was prime for hunting - had 5 good stand spots - one was next to wet ditch and there was wind tunnel - deer never smelled anyone there.

40 acres would work, even 5 acres adjacent a larger parcel - state forest, park, etc. would be great.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Rich M wrote:I had two 45-acre leases at one time.

The wooded parcel was prime for hunting - had 5 good stand spots - one was next to wet ditch and there was wind tunnel - deer never smelled anyone there.

40 acres would work, even 5 acres adjacent a larger parcel - state forest, park, etc. would be great.

I agree with this, the right property could be worth it. I have access to a 5 acre piece that is the right 5 acres, I have shot 2 decent bucks off it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 pm

jmaas07 wrote:
Rich M wrote:I had two 45-acre leases at one time.

I agree with this, the right property could be worth it. I have access to a 5 acre piece that is the right 5 acres, I have shot 2 decent bucks off it.

My buddy has 10 acres and can pretty much guarantee multiple kills each year on it with few sits. One stand location but man is it perfect. Only wooded connection between two 1000+ acre wood/swamp lots.

His relatives used to have 700 acres in one of the best counties in the state and had to lease 40 additional acres (I think for $2000) just so they could properly access their 700. Once they did that they started shooting nice deer until that lease fell through. Then it was back to few small bucks and does.

So yeah what property it is really makes a difference. I’d much rather have that perfect 5-10 acres than pay huge amounts for 700 acres that is no better than public. Especially when that 10 acres cost him $12000, and that 700 sold for over 2 million.

Personally, I want my house on a good 10-20 acres. Enough room for a nice house, garage, garden and privacy. But also enough to manage the land and hunt it occasionally.

But with public close by
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”