Killing after cold fronts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Killing after cold fronts

Unread postby tim » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:35 pm

I wanna see if anyone else has had the same results as me. I have gone over my kills over the years and just about every single buck I have killed during bow season has come after a cold front not during. It’s during the warm up after that everyone complains about . I always hear people saying they like frigid cold because it gets them on their feet, I can’t say I dont see a little of that but by far I’ve seen way better movement after that cold front moves out and it warms up especially if the pressure stays up. I sit for all of it and put in lots of dark to dark sits .

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Killing after cold fronts

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 pm

In Southern Ohio it doesn’t get too frigid until January. During that month I see what you’re describing and more midday movement especially from mature bucks. Had 1 last year on the 25th on 2 cams a couple hours and 1/2 mile apart. Not sure if he was on the trail of a late doe or relocating from big woods to ag.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 pm

I have killed bucks during and after cold fronts both but I agree with you Tim the peak movement is a day or two after the "cold front" rolls through although I do think they move better right after it hits too. To me the key is the barometer. Movement seems to peak on the first high pressure day, which usually takes a day or two to build in after the cold temps....pretty often the temps are going up some by then like you said.
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:53 am

I have seen the best deer movement on the transition of weather. I always heard the same 'cold puts them on their feet', but I haven't seen that if it has been cold for a few days. It is the day of or the day after a drastic temp drop or rise that I have seen the most movement.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 am

I typically see more movement right before a weather change, and then if it is a cold front usually the day or so after. Not necessarily the first cold day just the cooler ones that follow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”