Laptop for E scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMax1978

Laptop for E scouting

Unread postby JMax1978 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey all. My computer took a crap on me. So I am looking at a new laptop to hook up to the TV and scout Google Earth and OnX. Anyone have any ideas on what I should get? I want as good a picture that my wallet allows. Meaning less than 1K. Thanks for any help I can get on this.

JMax1978

Re: Laptop for E scouting

Unread postby JMax1978 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Sorry. Messed up and put it in deer hunting instead of scouting.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 am

Lot of options out there but I have always prefered Dell. I would look at the latitude(I have this one for work, its great) and the xps. I don't know what prices are like for these now days but I would expect you can squeeze it into less than 1k.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am

I hate laptops... my phone runs better than most of them. Dont buy a toshiba those seem to be junk out of the box. Id spend the money on a new desktop or a good tablet and just get a mini hdmi cable. Definitely going to need an external hardrive for all the scouting pics and videos.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am

street28ss wrote:Lot of options out there but I have always prefered Dell. I would look at the latitude(I have this one for work, its great) and the xps. I don't know what prices are like for these now days but I would expect you can squeeze it into less than 1k.

Also had good luck with Dell over the past 20 years, I use a cheap $500 laptop for working on the road and its does the job enough.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 am

a chromebook is what i use. not sure the exact model, but it's a laptop/touch screen and it is the best thing i've ever used for cyber scouting (onX is great on it, google earth/maps as well).

because it's a chromebook, it's all internet driven. which if you use gmail or google drive, it's all you need anyway.
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am

HP Envy is another alternative for a touch screen laptop. Mine has held up quite well for the last few years. Just don't leave it out in your truck overnight in -40 degree weather... tends to take a toll on battery life.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 am

I’m very happy with my MacBook Air. Does everything I need it to do and never let me down. It’s basically just for hunting purposes and I keep all my maps and trail cam pics on it. When on the road hunting I use WIFI or Hotspot off my iPhone to cyberscout.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”